Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Okay I have a backup app and a backup service.

The backup app makes calls to the backup service and basically tarballs certain directoriess to the media/internal directory.

On the Pre Emulator, I am backing up about 340MB of data into about a 246MB tarball. I have a shell window open and I can watch the tarball grow as it's being created by monitoring the /media/internal/ppbackup directory. I can also watch the process via 'ps -ef'... The service launches the process and I can see it run to completion. The process terminates and the tarball is in tact. The GUI Application finishes up and presents the final stage/scene of the App. Perfect. Just as designed.

However on the Pre, everything is the same up until the process completes, terminates and the tarball is in tact. I expect to see the GUI App at the final scene/stage and it is still at the second to last scene, which is the "processing" scene. It's only tarballing 161MB into 61MB.

How do I even begin to troubleshoot why this APP is not running to completion while the same app runs to completion in the Emulator.... WITH MORE DATA in a slightly longer time window.

The Pre is running 1.2.1 and the Emu is running 1.3.1

SIGH

Maybe I'll upgrade. Put your money where your mouth is.....does the backup[more precisely the restore] work Interversion???
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Okay so almost done with upgrade. Still have to install my app, but couple of notes...or....gotch yas!

Do NOT try to backup and restore /opt/bin, /etc/event.d, /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services, or /usr/lib/luna/java.

You will send your Pre into a restart loop.

Also, do not try to update your emulator whille trying to webdoctor your PRe.

Eh uh! Not smart!

Anyway, I have about 5 different backups of my 1.2.1 Pre and I am now running a 1.2.0 Emulator and a 1.3.1 emulator simultaneously. So I will be able to drill down on exactly which directories can and cannot be backedup/restored.

With that in mind, I've attached a a spreadsheet containing my descriptions of a lot of the various directories on the Pre's filesystem. Just my attempt at identifying where some apps and services reside.

Could use some help from other developers. Especially those who use Databases. The place I thought had application databases didn't actually restore user accounts when the apps and databases were restored. MediaFly, Pandora, & TweetFree to name a few.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    You can run Novatern (or Putty if you prefer) on a usb device rather than "localhost" and see what's going on in the Pre as it happens...

Novaterm/Putty instructions...
    Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals

How to monitor what's happening...
    Detecting Application Errors, Syslog - WebOS Internals
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Thanks a lot for that. I really thought I had scoured the webos-internals.org site. I am not sure how I missed that one.

Anyway, your tip saved me a few hours of troubleshooting. Not on the App stalling on my Pre issue. I had to downgrade my Pre back to 1.2.0. I couldnt' live without wifi tethering.

No, but I finally finished the restore side of the Backup Utility.

Just need to update the Service and get it over to webosinternals feed.

Then I want to get it on the homebrew feed. But as long as the service is on webosinternals, I can provide the application ipk here in this or another thread.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    By the way, if that's you in your avatar, you look a hell of a lot like Cuba G. Jr.
    LOL - Maybe because my head is cocked back. I always get "you look like fill-in-a-person", but I've never had anyone say Cuba in person!

By the way, I read the review of your Backup App...VERY nice work!!! Any plans to add FTPing the backup to a remote location?
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL