Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Palm's changed the Universal Search setup in 1.3.1. It's easier to add new searches now.

I'm not even sure if you need to still modify the global-search.css file, it seems like redundant info though I did it anyway because it's already got the other engines in there. Basically you only modify two files now, in the manner in the following patch file. If you search the files for "Wikipedia" and do whatever is listed for Wikipedia for the site you want, it'll work. Make sure to copy the image file over still. Example here is using IMDB.

Code:
    --- .orig/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs
    +++ /$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$app$/$controllers$/$global$-$search$-$assistant$.$js$
    @@ -$46$,$6$ +$46$,$7$ @@
     		$this$.$limit$=$40$;
     		$this$.$URLs$ = {
     			'$google$':$$L$(&$quot$;$www$.$google$.$com$/$m$/$search$?$client$=$ms$-$palm$-$webOS$&$amp$;$channel$=$iss$&$amp$;$q$=&$quot$;),
    +			'$imdb$':$$L$(&$quot$;$http$://$www$.$imdb$.$com$/$find$?$s$=$all$&$amp$;$q$=&$quot$;),
     			'$wikipedia$':$$L$(&$quot$;$http$://$en$.$m$.$wikipedia$.$org$/$wiki$/$Special$:$Search$?$search$=&$quot$;),
     			'$twitter$': $$L$(&$quot$;$http$://$search$.$twitter$.$com$/$search$?$q$=&$quot$;),
     			'$yahoo$': $$L$(&$quot$;$http$://$search$.$yahoo$.$com$/$search$?$p$=&$quot$;),
    @@ -$130$,$6$ +$131$,$7$ @@

$this$.$searchEngineList$ = [{$id$:&$quot$;$google$&$quot$;,$title$:&$quot$;$Google$&$quot$;,$imgFile$:&$quot$;$images$/$search$-$google$.$png$&$quot$;, $showImage$:&$quot$;$block$&$quot$;, $showName$:&$quot$;$none$&$quot$;},
     								 {$id$:&$quot$;$map$&$quot$;,$title$:&$quot$;$Google$ $Maps$&$quot$;,$imgFile$:&$quot$;$images$/$search$-$maps$.$png$&$quot$;, $showImage$:&$quot$;$block$&$quot$;, $showName$:&$quot$;$none$&$quot$;},
    +								 {$id$:&$quot$;$imdb$&$quot$;,$title$:&$quot$;$IMDB$&$quot$;,$imgFile$:&$quot$;$images$/$search$-$imdb$.$png$&$quot$;, $showImage$:&$quot$;$block$&$quot$;, $showName$:&$quot$;$none$&$quot$;},
     								 {$id$:&$quot$;$wikipedia$&$quot$;,$title$:&$quot$;$Wikipedia$&$quot$;,$imgFile$:&$quot$;$images$/$search$-$wikipedia$.$png$&$quot$;, $showImage$:&$quot$;$block$&$quot$;, $showName$:&$quot$;$none$&$quot$;},
     								 {$id$:&$quot$;$twitter$&$quot$;,$title$:&$quot$;$Twitter$&$quot$;,$imgFile$:&$quot$;$images$/$search$-$twitter$.$png$&$quot$;, $showImage$:&$quot$;$block$&$quot$;, $showName$:&$quot$;$none$&$quot$;}
     								];

--- .$orig$/$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$stylesheets$/$global$-$search$.$css$
    +++ /$usr$/$lib$/$luna$/$system$/$luna$-$applauncher$/$stylesheets$/$global$-$search$.$css$
    @@ -$139$,$6$ +$139$,$12$ @@
     		$background$: $url$(../$images$/$search$-$google$.$png$) $center$ $center$ $no$-$repeat$;
     }

+.$palm$-$group$.$search$ .$search$-$imdb$ {      
    +		$width$: $100$%;
    +		$height$: $52px$;         
    +		$background$: $url$(../$images$/$search$-$imdb$.$png$) $center$ $center$ $no$-$repeat$;
    +}
    +
     .$palm$-$group$.$search$ .$search$-$maps$ {   
     		$width$: $100$%;
     		$height$: $52px$;
    Previously you had to make 3 or 4 additional changes and edit an additional file. Now it's just using an extra entry in the .jsjsjs $file$ $instead$.
    That's Awesome!

I'm SO glad they made this easier/simpler to do!

I always need my universal search customized (especially since I never use Twitter)

Great find!
    can someone please make an ebay search ?????
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    If you have your Pre rooted/know how to access the file system, look here on how to add it in *EDIT: I just realized, don't click there... just scroll up and read on how to add it in!... in light of this new information, I think it's safe to assume you're not comfortable doing it this method? : /*. And here on what to add.

If you're not comfortable with this, make a request and hope someone makes a patch for you!
    I didn't really feel like figuring out all the root tricks either so I cheated using webos quick install to add imdb to my own.

You can receive and send files via the tool so I just pulled the two files noted above,

/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs

and

/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/stylesheets/global-search.css

edited with my trusty notepad++ portable to add the lines with the + preceding them(omitting the + of course) and then sent the files back to my pre. did a quick restart and it's there when you type.

Also make sure you pull down a .png file and ensure it's named just as you name it in the file configuration. if you just copy and paste from the previous post name it search-imdb.png, all lowercase

I pulled the image from the Patch Browser Global Search Addons Collection wiki page, sorry 1st post and I can't add URLs yet. that page has the url info for ebay as well

hope this helps
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    That's Awesome!

I'm SO glad they made this easier/simpler to do!

I always need my universal search customized (especially since I never use Twitter)

Great find!

I never use twitter either, In the past I've always just changed twitters search URL... then changed twitters.png (thus eliminating the twitter search and adding my own) Very Simple!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Share your Mizzou pride:
    - wallpapers/boot themes - here
    - Black n' Gold theme - here
  7.    #7  
    One other thing I noticed. The full original list is as follows:
    Code:
    this.URLs = {
    			'google':$L("www.google.com/m/search?client=ms-palm-webOS&channel=iss&q="),
    			'wikipedia':$L("http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search="),
    			'twitter': $L("http://search.twitter.com/search?q="),
    			'yahoo': $L("http://search.yahoo.com/search?p="),
    			'bing': $L("http://www.bing.com/search?q=")
    Notice how bing is an unfinished option in the code? It seems like if you added code (in the rest of the file) for all search engines, the ones that display are only the ones in the this.searchEngineList section. I wonder if it would be possible to have a patch that puts in the data and files for all of them, and then have a selector that chooses which to display by commenting out the one line for the engine you want to hide in the this.searchEngineList? It's beyond my knowledge still, but it seems like it'd be a lot simpler to have this automatically done, with the new setup.
    before the update, i used some patch on prepare called "keystone" i believe. it allowed me to search over 30 different search engines by simply adding a tag before my search term (for example '@yt rihanna' would search for 'rihanna' on youtube).

Does anyone know what happened to that patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    before the update, i used some patch on prepare called "keystone" i believe. it allowed me to search over 30 different search engines by simply adding a tag before my search term (for example '@yt rihanna' would search for 'rihanna' on youtube).

Does anyone know what happened to that patch?
    I submitted a webOS 1.3.1-compatible version of the KeyToss universal search patch yesterday. It should be available in the feed, I'm told, as early as tonight.

With that patch, you can use a new feature in 1.3.1 to select your default search engine. When you install the patch, it'll default to KeyToss, but you can also select Yahoo, or switch back to Google.
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I second this for ebay search!!! Can't leave out ebay motors!!

Hell, someone let me in on how to make and install them.. I wanna make all new searches for my pre!

is there a limit to how many you can add to the list???? Someone help me out plz! I wanna do some more customizing!!
  11.    #11  
    Not sure if there's a limit. The patch I made shows the general format of this, so if you want to add eBay you should be able to pretty easily based on that. The additions I made to do IMDB are the lines that are have a + before them.

Basically it's telling you that in /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs $you$ $need$ $to$ $add$ $a$ $line$ $in$ $the$ $this$.$URLs$ $and$ $the$ $this$.$SearchEngineList$ $section$ $for$ $whichever$ $engine$ $you$ $want$ $to$ $be$. $It$ $should$ $follow$ $the$ $same$ $format$ $as$ $what$'$s$ $already$ $there$, $you$'$ll$ $just$ $want$ $to$ $change$ $the$ $name$ $and$ $the$ $URL$ (list of URLs).

Then you'll also need to add an entry in /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/stylesheets/global-search.css for your engine, again based on the format above.

Lastly, you need to put the picture in /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/images/ as search-<name>.png. Example pictures are at the URL link I posted above.
    Quote Originally Posted by samkim View Post
    I submitted a webOS 1.3.1-compatible version of the KeyToss universal search patch yesterday. It should be available in the feed, I'm told, as early as tonight.

With that patch, you can use a new feature in 1.3.1 to select your default search engine. When you install the patch, it'll default to KeyToss, but you can also select Yahoo, or switch back to Google.
    ok thanx. Sorry i got the name wrong. i looked all over the internet 9and by that i mean google) trying to find the name. I think the keytoss patch is just as good as being able to add your own search engines to the launcher. Thanks i can't wait to get it back.

and thanx to everyone who's working hard on making the pre more perfect
    I really miss my" intelligent find" and "takephone".
    Intelligent find on Treo 650?

I do not recall such a feature!

What did it do? And why didn't I know about it/use it before?
    It would be nice to have a youtube search added to a patch.
    would it be possible to make an app to manage and customize the universal search (in the way of searching websites) to make it as simple as entering a url in text box here and attaching an image there? And being able to press and hold a search to be able to move it up or down the list? That would make it easy for all of us who are scared of rooting and coding
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I'm not even sure if you need to still modify the global-search.css file, it seems like redundant info though I did it anyway because it's already got the other engines in there.
    You definitely don't need to modify the global-search.css file. I didn't touch it and my Universal Search looks great:

hit up that thanks button
    so im trying to figure out how to do this using notepad ++ (ill send out thanks to all who i've learned something from once i've finished. i have a long list of searches i want and im wondering what webos will do with them once they exceed the screen space, i.e. will i scroll through them after ive typed my search phrase? i want to add

google images
    precentral
    youtube
    Craigslist
    facebook
    google shopping
    ebay
    google dictionary
    imdb
    yahoo answers

so right now im stuck on finding search engine urls. i dont want the answers, but do you guys know how to find them? right click on the search button on a page? view source code of page? (where would i look on that?)

thanks for any help
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 12/09/2009 at 12:01 AM.
    Once your list of searches has exceeded the screen space, the list of searches will become scroll-able.

If you're looking for search URLs and images, check out this website: Patch Browser Global Search Addons Collection - WebOS Internals.

They have almost every search engine you can imagine. If you can't find what you're looking for there, follow my instructions below to find a search URL by yourself.

To find the search URL...
    • Go to the website you want the URL for. For this example I'll use "www.google.com"
    • Type in any search query and hit enter. Normally I type "test".
    • Copy the URL from the search page. Mine is "http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=test&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10".
    • Find where your search query is in the URL and delete it and anything after it. Since I used "test" as a search query my new URL would be "http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q="
    • And there you have your search URL. This method works for almost any website.

Hope that helps.
    hit up that thanks button
    Quote Originally Posted by invaderzim View Post
    I didn't really feel like figuring out all the root tricks either so I cheated using webos quick install to add imdb to my own.

You can receive and send files via the tool so I just pulled the two files noted above,

/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs

and

/usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/stylesheets/global-search.css

edited with my trusty notepad++ portable to add the lines with the + preceding them(omitting the + of course) and then sent the files back to my pre. did a quick restart and it's there when you type.

Also make sure you pull down a .png file and ensure it's named just as you name it in the file configuration. if you just copy and paste from the previous post name it search-imdb.png, all lowercase

I pulled the image from the Patch Browser Global Search Addons Collection wiki page, sorry 1st post and I can't add URLs yet. that page has the url info for ebay as well

hope this helps
    ok so i did it this way, but everything is working but the images, but there are several spaces now and all link well to their search engines. i have the photo names the same as in the config file, and at first i put them in a file called images [a file i made on the pre while i was in mass storage mode], then i put them in the general storage area. but they are not showing. is this because they are in the wrong place? should i use the send file feature in quick install to put them in a specific file? does anyone know the name of the file? which ends with "/images"?

thanks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast