Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    I found a good tutorial for enabling ssh TO the pre from a computer.

I am an ubuntu user so I was looking for an SSH client so I could remote admin into my pc's shell. I could not find one until I found a program in preware called "terminal" and terminal plugin is also needed to run terminal. This shell gives you access to the pre's shell which is great. Now it is linux based so it works just like linux the ssh command works as following.

ssh user@domain
    Note: that domain is interchangeable with IP address.

Now that I found out that works I continued with tunneling to my surprise the command works identical.

ssh -L 1234:192.168.1.1:80 user@domain

Note "1234" would be the new port and this would tunnel port "1234" to port "80" on the network of the computer you are ssh'ing into.
    Tunneling is important because it encrypts all traffic and means you only need one port open (the ssh one) anything else can be tunneled and you can run any server (http, vnc, pop3, even stream securely without having to leave holes in the firewall or forward those ports with support down the line even use your home network (or whatever network you feel like sshing into) as a proxy to run all pre traffic through after vnc and ftp apps get added this encryption will be vital for security.

You can have a http server running on your home network and only need to forward port 22 (ssh) any traffic scanner wont pick up port 80 and all http server to pre will be encrypted.

This is where multitasking comes in hand as long as you keep the "terminal" card open the tunnel stays open. If you used following command.

ssh -L 1234:192.168.1.1:80 user@domain (same as before)

You can go into your pre's browser type "127.0.0.1:1234" and you are connected to the http server on the network you are ssh'd into without having an exposed http port (all traffic will be encrypted of coarse)

Just a find I thought I would share.
    I can help with installing open ssh on both windows and ubuntu (other linux distros should be similar). Installing apache servers. Forwarding ports and getting ssh to work.Dynamic ips and dns. Any questions just ask.
    Hi NullR:

Are you still willing to help with OpenSSH as you stated in the above thread?

I have 1.4.1 installed + 800 ocKernel and all the necessary stuff from Optware (OpenSSH, OpenSSL, Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer, Optware Bootstrap, Zlib and EZ-ipupdate).

I've downloaded and gone through the steps for puTTY, puTTY Generator, created id_rsa keys(Private), used the "Browse" feature to import it, turned on wifi on the Pre, etc. etc. etc.

I still can't get through using port 22 or port 222. Kind of lost at this point.

At this point, I'm just confused as to IF I'm trying through Wifi or EVDO (and even if EVDO is an option). I have a computer on a wireless network at home and can try there but not wifi at work. Do I have to have a computer with a wifi card and internet with connection WITH THE PRE attached/actively connected to it? Does the pre need to be attached via USB?
    How the heck to do I get the SSH crap to work!? Arghh!

I do have a wifi network at home that the Pre is auto-logged into -- tried it there, tried it at work, I have several DynDNS hosting accounts/host names, etc. What's my IP on the pre to give me that info too. I keep getting the black terminal screen and either get a quick message or about a 20 second delay on the same message: Network connection not established -- timed out!

Any help from you still an option?! Lost in the dark here.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baconnbitz2010 View Post
    Hi NullR:

Are you still willing to help with OpenSSH as you stated in the above thread?

I have 1.4.1 installed + 800 ocKernel and all the necessary stuff from Optware (OpenSSH, OpenSSL, Optware Advanced Linux Command Line Installer, Optware Bootstrap, Zlib and EZ-ipupdate).

I've downloaded and gone through the steps for puTTY, puTTY Generator, created id_rsa keys(Private), used the "Browse" feature to import it, turned on wifi on the Pre, etc. etc. etc.

I still can't get through using port 22 or port 222. Kind of lost at this point.

At this point, I'm just confused as to IF I'm trying through Wifi or EVDO (and even if EVDO is an option). I have a computer on a wireless network at home and can try there but not wifi at work. Do I have to have a computer with a wifi card and internet with connection WITH THE PRE attached/actively connected to it? Does the pre need to be attached via USB?
    How the heck to do I get the SSH crap to work!? Arghh!

I do have a wifi network at home that the Pre is auto-logged into -- tried it there, tried it at work, I have several DynDNS hosting accounts/host names, etc. What's my IP on the pre to give me that info too. I keep getting the black terminal screen and either get a quick message or about a 20 second delay on the same message: Network connection not established -- timed out!

Any help from you still an option?! Lost in the dark here.

Ok if you installed the preware version go into preware and uninstall it only works with keys which can get cumbersome if you use more than one computer. I believe that one is also only available via wifi. Use this tutorial

How to SSH into Your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!

Its a bit more complicated because there are more steps to install but it shows you how to add your dns (if you installed preware version of this uninstall as well). It has pictures and stuff but if you get lost just let me know. Once you do that tutorial you will ssh to your pre's IP either evdo (tutorial will set up DDNS for evdo and show you how to get the ip) Or if you are on the same wifi (way faster than evdo. Evdo has alot of latency and lag) follow these steps to get your local ip. Slide up pre type "wifi" and open the wifi app, click on your connection with the check mark and it will give you your ip. An alternative to getting the IP go in preware and search "my ip" it will bring up a program called "What Is My IP?" that will give you wifi and evdo ip. Put your ip on putty and it will be port 222 (Then connect you will setup your user and pw in the tutorial). I had the same problem with key + evdo login only with the preware version.

Keep the pre charging once you are ssh'ing (either wall,pc, or car does not matter) otherwise it goes to sleep every other second and gives you annoying messages which make it hard to see what you are typing in (they do not interfere with what you type but you basically have to type blind).

Reply back if you need help on anything. The thing that is different "terminal" app broke on 1.3.5 and has yet to be fixed. I have not done this in a while but "terminus" should do the same job.
    Last edited by nullr; 04/09/2010 at 02:05 PM.
    It's also possible to even tunnel ppp over ssh. Poor man's vpn :-) Something for me to play with eventually on the pre since I haven't gotten around to setting up openvpn yet.

There were posts in another thread somewhere about how you can make simple launchers for linux shell scripts in luna. Would be useful for this type of thing.
    : (){:|:&};:
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    As long as you are on the same network as the pre you can ssh to it. It does not matter if the computer is wired or wireless as long as it is on the same network. If you want to connect the pre to WIFI and ssh to it from a different network you can do this as well you just need to forward port 222 to the Pre's WIFI IP address.
    Awesome and thank you!! I did do that particular tutorial about 3 months ago and got to do the "tethering" part but never did get the SSH from another network part to connect. I have all the tools, puTTY, puTTY generator, etc but never did work.
    I will delete all the Preware OpenSSH programs as you've recommended.

Since I did try this in the past, are there any concerns about any "residual" programs/code on my Pre that might be interfering? Saw that someone mentioned that they needed to use the ipkg-opt remover and got confused on that thinking that I had old, broken ipkg files that were still hanging on and blocking the Open SSH from working.

I also want this to be secure and a colleague said 222 was not as secure (not a totally reliable/knowledgeable guy) but it concrned me nonetheless.

I"ll give this a shot in the morning -- kinda late here now. I really do appreciate the responses from all.
    Fingers crossed.....
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by baconnbitz2010 View Post
    Awesome and thank you!! I did do that particular tutorial about 3 months ago and got to do the "tethering" part but never did get the SSH from another network part to connect. I have all the tools, puTTY, puTTY generator, etc but never did work.
    I will delete all the Preware OpenSSH programs as you've recommended.

Since I did try this in the past, are there any concerns about any "residual" programs/code on my Pre that might be interfering? Saw that someone mentioned that they needed to use the ipkg-opt remover and got confused on that thinking that I had old, broken ipkg files that were still hanging on and blocking the Open SSH from working.

I also want this to be secure and a colleague said 222 was not as secure (not a totally reliable/knowledgeable guy) but it concrned me nonetheless.

I"ll give this a shot in the morning -- kinda late here now. I really do appreciate the responses from all.
    Fingers crossed.....
    Don't worry I have had the server go bad with updates a while back and if you repeat the tutorial it will just overwrite most things and will skip if something is properly installed. The only thing that I had stay were the user accounts.

As far as ports go 222 would be more secure than port 22 as its not standard so people wont be looking for it. The tutorial shows you how to change it from 22 to 222 (So it does not interfere with the pre or something) so you can put any port you want instead of 222. I would say its secure as most people don't bother to scan and unless you **** off a hacker not many people are scanning random domains (literally millions to pick from then 65000 ports) to pick 1 port (222). Theres millions of domains and 65000 ports as long as you dont give your dns to people you dont know you will be fine. Either way you can see in the tutorial just change 222 to any number between 1-65000 (excluding ports your phone might use for something else like 80,8080,999,443,22).