1.    #1  
    Okay so I finally finished writing my first app. It probably doesn't appeal to too many homebrew users but it's a countdown timer till the 2010 Kickoff of the Seattle Sounders season. In any event, how do I go about getting Pre Central to host it so that others can easily download it?
    I don't mean this in a bad way but I think this is the type of thing that should not go in an app store, whether home brew or Palm official. Instead, this is perfect for that "url-install" program Palm is going to be setting up. That way, if you have a site all about the Seattle Sounders, you could post a button on your web page for your Palm Pre/Pixi users to install the app.
  3.    #3  
    Definatley a great idea and no criticism taken. I understand that it is already a limited purpose app and ya, I don't see a huge market for it or anything, but it's never going to end up in the "Official" app store and a lot of people just aren't that versed in homebrew. I actually have a dozen or so people who want the app but just tell me "it didnt work" when I sent them the link to the .ipk. I got a lot of ???? back when I told them to use FileCoaster to install it. So ya, it would be nice to just allow them to click and install it directly.
    Quote Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
    Okay so I finally finished writing my first app. It probably doesn't appeal to too many homebrew users but it's a countdown timer till the 2010 Kickoff of the Seattle Sounders season. In any event, how do I go about getting Pre Central to host it so that others can easily download it?
    hey man! congrats! i felt pretty elated when i finished my first app. i would start a thread and ask if anyone would be interested. if you get 1 interested person, then put it out there. not all apps are for the masses, and your app isn't ridiculous - it's (just like you said) not appealing to many folks.

now for the real feedback. can you make your app more dynamic so that it could be a date countdown timer for any user-entered event? it would even be nice to have a dashboard of all of your events in chronological order. you could even tie it into the calendar so that upcoming entries already in the calendar have a countdown.

i think you have a modest start on a really good idea. keep up the good work! i learn more and more every day.

cheers.
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix
    Actually, you could make it a generic app that would also work for your use, by allowing the user to enter the time and date the app counts down to.

This would also be a good learning experience on the date and time pickers in WebOS and using Cookies.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  6.    #6  
    Ya, the next step was to do a couple modifications and allow user input. Change the background to any picture on your device and then allow you to set the target date. The background change wouldn't be too hard but I wrote my original in java and it's gonna take a while to figure out how to implement user input on the pre (with the scrolling number thingy) and have that dumped into my script.
    Quote Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
    Ya, the next step was to do a couple modifications and allow user input. Change the background to any picture on your device and then allow you to set the target date. The background change wouldn't be too hard but I wrote my original in java and it's gonna take a while to figure out how to implement user input on the pre (with the scrolling number thingy) and have that dumped into my script.
    make sure you install the sample apps that came with the sdk (APIs, UIWidgets, stylematters, Data). they will have code you can copy/paste to heavily expedite figuring out the scrolling number thingy and such
    My site: Shanerooni, LLC
    Follow me on Twitter
    My apps: GuessWhat? | MazeHunter3D | Small Wonders | PhakePhoney | AutismAware | PicSketcher | Cubix | QuickSolve | QuickSpell | QuickTrace | QuickWhack | QuickSuite | Soccer Shots | Ballooning |
    Cubix