Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    E-mail sent.
    Another bump. Please contact Blizzard and let them know we want the WebOS mobile authenticator!
    BUMP.
    Another bump! Hopefully 1.4.5 will give us some hope for a mobile authenticator.
    Bump. I just sent in my webOS authenticator request. Is this issue dead, or are we still hoping?
    Another bump. If you play WoW and you are a WebOS user...please support our cause!
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    bump...I also would love this!
    Sending email now!
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Not trying to sound like an *** but for as long as this thread has been being bumped for 6.5$ you could have had one at your front door already...

Blizzard has a hardon for iOS, webos is going to have to gain some market share before they even give it a though.
    Quote Originally Posted by helidos View Post
    Not trying to sound like an *** but for as long as this thread has been being bumped for 6.5$ you could have had one at your front door already...

Blizzard has a hardon for iOS, webos is going to have to gain some market share before they even give it a though.
    Not trying to be an ***, but this is NOT about the $6.50. It is about convenience and opportunity.

I am currently running the authenticator on my iPod touch, but would RATHER have it on WebOS.

BUMP
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toejam1974 View Post
    Not trying to be an ***, but this is NOT about the $6.50. It is about convenience and opportunity.

I am currently running the authenticator on my iPod touch, but would RATHER have it on WebOS.

BUMP
    Ok well not trying to be an *** but here's a thought why would Blizzard spend dev time and money on WebOS when they can not truly secure their code in webos atm. If I am not mistaken only games can be submitted as pdk apps(correct me if I'm wrong) and until plam allows regular apps to be submitted you are not going to see an authenticator app on webos.

Plus your using the iOS version giving them even more of a reason not to make one.

Maybe with webos 2.0 hybrid apps maybe and I mean a big maybe palm gains some market share they just might consider it. Now if webos had a hundred million users like ios blizzard would probably be all over it.
    If I am not mistaken only games can be submitted as pdk apps(correct me if I'm wrong) and until plam allows regular apps to be submitted you are not going to see an authenticator app on webos.
    In the Palm App catalog, I am seeing books (dictionaries, Bible, Quran, Pride and Prejudice, etc)... tip calculators, recipe books, restaurant finders, document readers, to-do lists, and much more.

Plus your using the iOS version giving them even more of a reason not to make one.
    But toejam would also be a webOS user... since the apps are free, it's irrelevant whether he(she?) is currently using the app for another platform. Meanwhile, there are people such as myself who will have nothing to do with iPhones, and want to see some Palm Pre love.

Maybe with webos 2.0 hybrid apps maybe and I mean a big maybe palm gains some market share they just might consider it. Now if webos had a hundred million users like ios blizzard would probably be all over it.
    It's not like it's a herculean programming task to make this thing; I mean they've already got the code for iPhone and Android. They could probably put a single programmer on the task for a week, and have it done, and have a couple thousand more WoW users with better account security.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Jones View Post
    In the Palm App catalog, I am seeing books (dictionaries, Bible, Quran, Pride and Prejudice, etc)... tip calculators, recipe books, restaurant finders, document readers, to-do lists, and much more.
    Are they PDK apps???? Or just plain SDK apps? there is a difference.

But toejam would also be a webOS user... since the apps are free, it's irrelevant whether he(she?) is currently using the app for another platform. Meanwhile, there are people such as myself who will have nothing to do with iPhones, and want to see some Palm Pre love.

It's not like it's a herculean programming task to make this thing; I mean they've already got the code for iPhone and Android. They could probably put a single programmer on the task for a week, and have it done, and have a couple thousand more WoW users with better account security.
    Are you sure its not some herculean programming task? If so do tell... Because they already have to code does no mean its copy past awesome done.

It cost money to create apps the more difficult the app the more money it costs. Have a look at the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator website the iphone/android version are the only ones that are free the rest are .99 I wonder why? Could it be they are trying to recover some of the money back from creating those versions because the user base for those versions is slim to none or could be the carriers idk.

My point about him using the iOS version is simple creating one for webos only cost blizzard money and no one else so why would they waste money developing an app for a hand full of people who are more than likly using another version of it anyway? Not to mention unless they can build the app using the PDK the code is visible to many of the **** hackers that already cause 90% of the problems with hacked/stolen accounts now. And by visible I mean with some time and skills the code could be unobfuscate since SDK apps are many javascript/html/css...
    Are they PDK apps???? Or just plain SDK apps? there is a difference.

Are you sure its not some herculean programming task? If so do tell... Because they already have to code does no mean its copy past awesome done.

It cost money to create apps the more difficult the app the more money it costs. Have a look at the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator website the iphone/android version are the only ones that are free the rest are .99 I wonder why? Could it be they are trying to recover some of the money back from creating those versions because the user base for those versions is slim to none or could be the carriers idk.

My point about him using the iOS version is simple creating one for webos only cost blizzard money and no one else so why would they waste money developing an app for a hand full of people who are more than likly using another version of it anyway? Not to mention unless they can build the app using the PDK the code is visible to many of the **** hackers that already cause 90% of the problems with hacked/stolen accounts now. And by visible I mean with some time and skills the code could be unobfuscate since SDK apps are many javascript/html/css...
    1 - I am 100% certain it wouldn't be some herculean programming task.

2 - The cost they are charging has nothing to do with recovering costs, it has to do with licensing fee's blizzard pays for each authenticator they sell.

3 - They aren't afraid of hackers that has nothing to do with the platform choices, if that was the case it would have never appeared on android. They could use the PDK right now to develop the app and release.

Its all about penetration of the platform, it isn't there yet and until it is, they won't develop for it.
    The 99 fee for the other phone types is most likely a carrier-related fee. With a few exceptions, most "dumb phone" apps have to be downloaded through the carrier, and the carrier charges a fee for this.

Besides, the development cost is a one-time expenditure, a couple thousand tops (and that's being generous), for the ongoing benefit of reduced customer service expenses.

With regards to your previous points helidos, if you check the FAQ, it states:
    Quote Originally Posted by FAQ
    Q: Is the webOS PDK specifically for games?

The PDK is intended to support a wide range of use cases, allowing developers to integrate compiled components into their webOS apps when it makes sense for business reasons (like leveraging existing code) or technical reasons (like implementing functionality not currently achievable using web technology alone). That said, 3D and other graphics-intensive games are a primary use case for the PDK, which offers built-in support for OpenGL ES.
    Further, if you read the PDK App Submission Checklist, there doesn't seem to be anything there that would inhibit the development of an authenticator app.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
    1 - I am 100% certain it wouldn't be some herculean programming task.

2 - The cost they are charging has nothing to do with recovering costs, it has to do with licensing fee's blizzard pays for each authenticator they sell.

3 - They aren't afraid of hackers that has nothing to do with the platform choices, if that was the case it would have never appeared on android. They could use the PDK right now to develop the app and release.

Its all about penetration of the platform, it isn't there yet and until it is, they won't develop for it.
    1. Maybe not herculean but its not copy/paste done easy like I said. And if it as easy as you say why haven't they done it???

2. What license fee's? they are programming the app and I am certain they created the algorithms used to generate the codes either way why are two platforms free and the rest .99 doesn't make sense.

3. Maybe, Maybe not either way if it is as easy and fool proof from hackers as you say again wheres the app? Hell account recovery has become such an issue nowadays they have automated it. I guess hacking/stealing accounts is not an issue must mean hackers stealing wow accounts is a myth.

Lack of penetration is another way of saying blizzard is not spending money to dev a authenticator app for the few people who play wow and use webos. With most of them using the physical one or the iOS/Android version. But I'm pretty sure I covered the market share issue in another post.

Just to point out to all of you, but the iPhone version says

Code:
    Running a "jailbroken" iPhone OS device may compromise the security of the Battle.net Mobile Authenticator
    when you look at the Setup menu, so Blizzard is well aware that even on the iPhone, you can get to the code.

As someone who's been a programmer for over 15 years, I can tell you as long as your code is running on a machine someone else has physical access to, it *is not secure*. So that's not the issue stopping a WebOS version. The problem is market share.

iPhone, Android, WebOS, even the old Motorola StarTacs could have their guts torn apart and looked at if you held one in your hands and knew how.

Hopefully now that HP has palm, we can see some more marketing and push into the business and home sectors where HP seems to be quite comfortable reaching.
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    The 99 fee for the other phone types is most likely a carrier-related fee. With a few exceptions, most "dumb phone" apps have to be downloaded through the carrier, and the carrier charges a fee for this.

Besides, the development cost is a one-time expenditure, a couple thousand tops (and that's being generous), for the ongoing benefit of reduced customer service expenses.

With regards to your previous points helidos, if you check the FAQ, it states:

Further, if you read the PDK App Submission Checklist, there doesn't seem to be anything there that would inhibit the development of an authenticator app.
    Carrier fees? Explain how the iphone app is fee on att but to get it for a blackberry on att it cost $.99? Again it doesn't matter the 10 webos users would pay $.99

Did you read it....

Are you submitting a full-screen app?

Currently, hybrid apps (ones that use both JavaScript and PDK code) are NOT allowed in the catalog.
    Normal apps in webos are writing in javascript/html/css which does not count as a PDK app and when you run those apps you have access to the system drop down menus (topbar) and in app drop down menus etc. Games such as angry birds are pdk and run in true full screen mode aka no top bar with carrier string time drop down menu etc etc.

Here's another one PDK apps are current set to type "game"

Does your appinfo.json specify "type": "pdk" ?

Pre 1.4.5 apps used the "game" type. This has been changed to differentiate between those apps and apps targeted for 1.4.5 and beyond. See Configuring Your Application's appinfo.json File for more information.
    beyond aka webos 2.0

@aramova I agree but standard webos apps built on the SDK aka writing in javascript/html/css the best you can do is obfuscate your code which is like handing someone with knowledge a book and saying turn to page 4 then 6 then 1 then 13 etc etc and bam they have the source code.

As you know its not that easy with complied code and by now it would have happened if it was so easy to grab the coding off the iphone app by simple jailbreaking.

I agree its market share(I've said this now in 4 different posts why people are not listening is beyond me) but seeing that almost every other platform has the app for $.99 you have to take a step back and go hmm why is it that the easiest OS to dev for javascript/html/css has not had an app made.

1. Market Share is low for webos, not to mention anyone concerned with security on there account already has purchased the physical authenticator and or is using one from another platform. Which gives blizzard even more of reason not to spend dev time and money on such an app for a handful of people.

2. Javascript/html/css are not the most languages to build an application based around the security of your login system used to login millions of users.

If you seriously think blizzard has not gone to great lengths to secure its code in the other apps your crazy, they have gone so far with it that they are allowing you to log into your account with the mobile auction house app on the android/iOS platform. Which again will not happen on webos until plam allows hybrid apps allowing devs to compile the back end of there app while still using the javascript/html/css on top for the ui.

Webos 2.0 will bring the kind of apps we are lacking on webos, so with webos 2.0 and maybe a boom in users blizzard might port over the iphone versions. Heck they might do it without the boom in users either way its not happening until webos 2.0 and hybrid apps.
    Search for "Authenticator" in the app catalog.

https://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=de.stbuehler.bnetauth
    Quote Originally Posted by stbuehler View Post
    Search for "Authenticator" in the app catalog.

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...ehler.bnetauth
    Interesting. How did you come across the blizzard API? (feel free to contact me via PM if you wanna chat privately )
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Interesting. How did you come across the blizzard API? (feel free to contact me via PM if you wanna chat privately )
    he, sry forgot to check the thread again.

i still can't post links (stupid forum), so checkout my pre-bnetauth project on github or search for "Battle.net_Mobile_Authenticator_Specification" on wowpedia
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast