Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Willing to donate pm me if interested just found this thread yesterday and was already to late
    Vis
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Visualfx View Post
    so is there any chance of a paid or donor only version in the near future???
    Have you tried the free Perl-based version that was posted earlier? I think it only exports the first three e-mail addresses and phone numbers, but it may be good enough for most people. You didn't mention that program/service you wanted to import to, but that script targets Gmail.

If there is enough demand, I can make a paid version. What program/service do you want to import your contacts to? The original program had specific columns requested, and they didn't lend themselves to easy importing into other programs/services, such as Gmail.

If many people just want to move their contacts to Gmail, I can create a version that specifically supports Gmail, so that it's a relatively simple 3-step solution:

1. copy PalmDatabase.db3 from the phone
    2. run tool to generate .csv file, select opton for Gmail/Outlook/etc.
    3. import .csv into Gmail/Outlook/etc. and see all of your contacts' e-mail addresses, phone numbers, addresses, notes, etc. in the proper fields
    Last edited by xybyre; 11/29/2009 at 10:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by xybyre View Post
    Have you tried the free Perl-based version that was posted earlier? I think it only exports the first three e-mail addresses and phone numbers, but it may be good enough for most people. You didn't mention that program/service you wanted to import to, but that script targets Gmail.

If there is enough demand, I can make a paid version. What program/service do you want to import your contacts to? The original program had specific columns requested, and they didn't lend themselves to easy importing into other programs/services, such as Gmail.

If many people just want to move their contacts to Gmail, I can create a version that specifically supports Gmail, so that it's a relatively simple 3-step solution:

2. run tool to generate .csv file, select opton for Gmail/Outlook/etc.
    3. import .csv into Gmail/Outlook/etc. and see all of your contacts' e-mail addresses, phone numbers, addresses, notes, etc. in the proper fields

Of course, anybody that donates before this version is complete would be sent a copy of the current tool as well as any updates.

Gmail is in fact what I wanted to transfer my contacts to. Am I better of using the current tool or waiting for the new version???
    Vis
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Gmail is in fact what I wanted to transfer my contacts to. Am I better of using the current tool or waiting for the new version???
    The column headers assigned by the current tool are not all recognized by Gmail's import tool. For example, Gmail uses "phone type", "phone value" (e.g. "Home", "111-222-3333"), whereas Outlook and some other programs use "Home phone". As a result, some of your information could show up under the wrong fields. I would not recommend the current version for importing into Gmail unless you are familiar with adding/renaming columns in a spreadsheet program like Excel.

If all you care about importing into Gmail are your contacts' phone numbers and e-mail addresses, then the Perl tool mentioned earlier would be a good solution.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I've added support for Gmail. Now it really is a simple 3-step solution:

2. run tool to generate .csv file, select the opton for Gmail
    3. import .csv into Gmail and see all of your contacts' e-mail addresses, phone numbers, addresses, notes, etc. in the proper fields

Information about the tool can be found here. The tool is no longer free, but it is an option for those who want something simple and convenient.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I went ahead and sent a donation. I don't use Windows, so I'm hoping this will work in Linux under Wine.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfbauer View Post
    I went ahead and sent a donation. I don't use Windows, so I'm hoping this will work in Linux under Wine.
    Thank you for your support! Let me know if it works under Wine. If you cannot get it to work, I can run the tool against your PalmDatabase.db3 file for you.
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    Worked just fine in Wine, and imported to Gmail.
    I used the perl method and it worked like a charm but I sent a donation for your help and hard work, will use it for my wife's pre. Thanks again for your hard work.
    Vis
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I used the perl method and it worked like a charm but I sent a donation for your help and hard work, will use it for my wife's pre. Thanks again for your hard work.
    Thank you for your support! You might consider re-importing your contacts to Gmail if you happen to have other information besides e-mail addresses and phone numbers (or if you have more than three of either for a contact). The Perl method doesn't transfer addresses, company/title, notes, birthdays, etc.
    OK, I've used the script, and it worked like a champ. I have added my gmail account to the contacts app, and now I have duplicates. Is there an easy way to remove the Palm profile contacts short of wiping my phone? We are talking 500 contacts, so a manual deletion of each one prior to syncing would be a PITA.

Sorry if this has been asked before.

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pscon View Post
    OK, I've used the script, and it worked like a champ. I have added my gmail account to the contacts app, and now I have duplicates. Is there an easy way to remove the Palm profile contacts short of wiping my phone? We are talking 500 contacts, so a manual deletion of each one prior to syncing would be a PITA.
    Do you have access to a shell prompt on your device? You can install the Terminal app or use SSH (if you rooted your Pre). Once you have access, you can run this shell script, which will delete your local Palm Profile contacts.

0. close all open cards on the Pre
    1. copy deletePalmContacts.txt to the device (let's say you put it in /media/internal, which is the root directory in USB Drive mode)
    2. get to the command/shell prompt
    3. type "sh /media/internal/deletePalmContacts.txt"

You should see:
    Removing Palm Profile contacts...
    Done!

If you get any errors (e.g. database is locked), just re-run the script after a few seconds.

4. Wait a few minutes for WebOS to pick up the changes (or reboot)
    5. [optional] delete the deletePalmContacts.txt file

btw, the file was originally named deletePalmContacts.sh, but I had to rename it to .txt to upload it... Oh, I just wrote this script, so make sure you have a backup .db3 file, in case something unexpected happens.

If you want to delete ALL your contacts, just use the deleteAllContacts.txt script instead.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Perfect! Those duplicates were driving me nuts!! Thank you so much.
    Can anyone post a link to download this utility? Does not need to be latest version, thanks.

Update: Thank you!
    Last edited by opacityzero; 12/28/2009 at 04:00 PM.
    Just sent a donation; could you send me the link when you get a chance? Thanks!
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinge View Post
    Just sent a donation; could you send me the link when you get a chance? Thanks!
    Sent! Thanks for your support!
    Question, xybyre: I donated $5, downloaded the most recent software and successfully got the contacts to import to gmail, but only some of the contact fields were imported. For example, many, but not all, of the email addresses of my contacts did not import. How do I fix this? I understood from your page that ALL of the contact fields transferred to gmail. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by manhada123 View Post
    Question, xybyre: I donated $5, downloaded the most recent software and successfully got the contacts to import to gmail, but only some of the contact fields were imported. For example, many, but not all, of the email addresses of my contacts did not import. How do I fix this? I understood from your page that ALL of the contact fields transferred to gmail. Thanks.
    All data, including all of the e-mail addresses, should have been exported. Are some of the addresses from a non-Palm profile (i.e. linked to the contact via Synergy)? If so, then the e-mail addresses belonging to the non-Palm profiles (e.g. facebook, IM) would not be exported. The default option is to not include non-Palm contacts, but you can change this before exporting.

Please send me a PM or e-mail, and I will work with you to get all of your data exported.
    -deleted- PM sent
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyfool View Post
    Will version 1.5 export ALL contact information per contact, including Facebook, LinkedIn, etc? In other words, if I have a Google Profile, Facebook Profile, LinkedIn Profile of one person, will this utility extract ALL of the information?
    There is an option to "Export Palm Profile contacts only", which is selected by default if you select Gmail for the output format (which is also the default). If you deselect that option, it will export information for all contacts. However, each profile's data will be exported as a separate record, so the tool does not merge all of the information into one record for you. That is, you would have a separate record for John Doe for Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.

The tool was really designed to get your local contacts out of the phone, in case you wanted to move them elsewhere. If all of your data is online already, then the Synergy feature should merge the separate profiles into one for you.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast