Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    I'm looking for a way I can easily edit / delete my contacts FROM my computer and then import the correct list back to the Pre. For some reason, I have quadruplicates of every contact on the phone and manually deleting each one of the Pre would take waaaay to long.
    Thank u soo much!
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    I'm looking for a way I can easily edit / delete my contacts FROM my computer and then import the correct list back to the Pre. For some reason, I have quadruplicates of every contact on the phone and manually deleting each one of the Pre would take waaaay to long.
    Thanks not so easy yet...until Palm gives us a Palm Desktop-type sync program, this solution here is just one-way. Unfortunately, you need to go in and manually delete each one from your Pre... sorry
    Ive been looking for something like this for quite some time. I have over 1200 contacts on my palm profile and I dont want to lose them!! I want to move them all to google. How do I go about doing that? I copied the palmdatabas efile to my desktop and used the export program. I see all my contacts in the excel file now but all the information are in the wrong columns! Its not like I could even sort them as you will have a different address, phone number, and name on a different line. Is it supposed to be like that? If so, I just import the csv file to goole and thats that?
    Last edited by myblackz28; 11/14/2009 at 07:21 PM.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myblackz28 View Post
    Ive been looking for something like this for quite some time. I have over 1200 contacts on my palm profile and I dont want to lose them!! I want to move them all to google. How do I go about doing that? I copied the palmdatabas efile to my desktop and used the export program. I see all my contacts in the excel file now but all the information are in the wrong columns! Its not like I could even sort them as you will have a different address, phone number, and name on a different line. Is it supposed to be like that? If so, I just import the csv file to goole and thats that?
    All you should have to do is rename the column headers to match what gmail expects, and delete any columns it doesn't support/recognize. To get the list of gmail field names, you can export your gmail contacts to a csv file.

If you're only worried about "losing them", then you really don't have anything to worry about, since the phone will automatically back up your contacts to your Palm profile.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I want the $100.

I am unemployed and need the money.....

See the attached script file

unzip the file.....copy to /opt/bin or some other directory that is in your Pre's path, run 'chmod 755 /opt/bin/MvPre2Gmail'.... and then run the script, MvPre2Gmail.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    More detailed instructions are located here....

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...acts-free.html

Along with what this script does and doesn't do.
    Quote Originally Posted by xybyre View Post
    All you should have to do is rename the column headers to match what gmail expects, and delete any columns it doesn't support/recognize. To get the list of gmail field names, you can export your gmail contacts to a csv file.

If you're only worried about "losing them", then you really don't have anything to worry about, since the phone will automatically back up your contacts to your Palm profile.
    It seems the palm profile isnt very reliable. Ive seen tons of posts on here sayin how people tried doing a restore and they only get back to contacts! They why I want to move everything to google contacts.

I could rename the headres, thats not the problem here. It seem in my csv file, my contacts names- first and last, company name and notes are all in one row. Its not in a column! And its no order. All mixed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    More detailed instructions are located here....

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...acts-free.html

Along with what this script does and doesn't do.
    I would try your method but some of my contacts have more than 3 numbers, also dont want to root.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Stay tuned.....

There'll be an app for that soon.

One that hopefully won't even involve a host PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Stay tuned.....

There'll be an app for that soon.

One that hopefully won't even involve a host PC.
    Cant wait! Until then I have to baby the phone and not install anything crazy so the pre doesnt get bricked and have to use the dreaded restore.
  12. Xyg
    Global Posts
    1,113 Global Posts

Same. Using your program returns an unusable CSV file. All of the names and IDs are in a single row.
    It looks like there is an issue with v1.3... 1.2 worked great, but 1.3 has a problem with assigning the lines in the csv/excel file...

let me know if you need any info to resolve the problem
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Audemars02 View Post
    It looks like there is an issue with v1.3... 1.2 worked great, but 1.3 has a problem with assigning the lines in the csv/excel file...

let me know if you need any info to resolve the problem
    Can you give me more details on the problem?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyg View Post
    Same. Using your program returns an unusable CSV file. All of the names and IDs are in a single row.
    That is the reason for creating this program. If you don't want all of a person's e-mails, phone numbers, addresses, etc. all on one line, you can always export the database tables using something like Sqlite Explorer.

What format were you expecting? Only one of each type of data (phone number, e-mail, address)? Keep in mind that some people will have more data than can be imported into Yahoo, Gmail, et. al., so they would have to remove the extra columns before importing to those services. For example, WebOS allows you to enter multiple Home Phone Numbers, while most other services allow one. In this case, you would have two Home Phone columns, which may or may not be supported by the program/service you are trying to import to.
    Can you give me more details on the problem?
    Row 1 of the CSV looks file.. it has all my headers
    row 2 of the CSV has the following
    Col A thru J appear to be right..it as the id, names, etc
    Starting at Col K, however, it starts over with peoples ids and names. However, before the id, it actually has a " symbol. Looking at the csv, i think this is happening because there are actualy 3 quote symbols before that 2nd id file (i underlined the issue)..here is a sample from the csv of the 2nd live (all i changed as the names of the people, but you see the point

"559","Scott","","Smith","","","","19770919","","","""558","Jason","","Jones","","","","19760710","","","""557","Bob","","Johnson", etc...

Then, from rows 3 thru 350 have email address (even though the column header was labeled "Work Phone2", and then below that there are some lines with addresses, phones, etc, but they are all on the wrong columns. However, if I were to move the data over 10 columns (i.e. the 10 columns its missing from row 2, col A-J), it all aligns perfectly.

I hope that makes sense..
    Starting at Col K, however, it starts over with peoples ids and names. However, before the id, it actually has a " symbol. Looking at the csv, i think this is happening because there are actualy 3 quote symbols before that 2nd id file (i underlined the issue)..here is a sample from the csv of the 2nd live (all i changed as the names of the people, but you see the point

"559","Scott","","Smith","","","","19770919","","","""558","Jason","","Jones","","","","19760710","","","""557","Bob","","Johnson", etc...

Then, from rows 3 thru 350 have email address (even though the column header was labeled "Work Phone2", and then below that there are some lines with addresses, phones, etc, but they are all on the wrong columns. However, if I were to move the data over 10 columns (i.e. the 10 columns its missing from row 2, col A-J), it all aligns perfectly.

I believe I have the same issue.

Just out of curiosity, what, how many headers are there for gamil contacts?
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

Thanks for the detailed description! I know exactly what the problem is ("was", rather). That's not the current version. I was testing with the "debug" version, but forgot to rebuild the "release" version once I fixed that bug. oops.

I've updated the download page with the correct version. Let me know if you still see any problems.
    Last edited by xybyre; 11/24/2009 at 09:35 PM.
    Thanks for the detailed description! I know exactly what the problem is ("was", rather). That's not the current version. I was testing with the "debug" version, but forgot to rebuild the "release" version once I fixed that bug. oops.

I've updated the download page with the correct version. Let me know if you still see any problems.
    This looks great! just a few more comments:

1. Where does the "person_id" come from in your output file? in the file, it looks like the ids range from "5" to "594", but in the PalmDatabase.db3 file, the person_id is "31885837205510"

2. any chance you can include the "syncSource" data in com_palm_pim_Contacts ? this would tell you what account this belongs to, so I know if its a "palm profile" number vs a "facebook" or "yahoo" or "gmail" contact?

keep up the good work!

That worked!! Evereything is in ordernow. This is awesome!! So all I have to do now is import the csv file into google and then my contacts will show up there? Then switch on my pre and make google the default contact? And then no more palm profile? That correct?
    Last edited by myblackz28; 11/15/2009 at 03:26 PM.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast