1.    #1  
    Hi all

I am trying to find the following information. I looked in the forums and I couldn't find anything related so if someone has already answered this please do excuse me.

1) The WebOS browser supposedly supports Ajax. Now I am trying to find more info about how much is supported. I have been looking at our product that uses Ajax and the pages do not load properly. I wanted to troubleshoot this further, since the product works on PCs, Mac, iPhone etc...

2) Is there a way to turn off "mobile" mode from web browsing Ajax sites? For example if you visit Gmail via the normal WebOS web browser it looks like it switches to a "mobile" mode for the site. Basically all your mail folders do not show on the left side of the screen like they look on the pc. Please don't tell me about using synergy & how to use the email client.

I am mainly interested in making our product display properly on the build in web browser so any help on my questions would MASSIVELY help !!!

Thanks a lot in advance
    Vas
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    Hi all

I am trying to find the following information. I looked in the forums and I couldn't find anything related so if someone has already answered this please do excuse me.

1) The WebOS browser supposedly supports Ajax. Now I am trying to find more info about how much is supported. I have been looking at our product that uses Ajax and the pages do not load properly. I wanted to troubleshoot this further, since the product works on PCs, Mac, iPhone etc...

2) Is there a way to turn off "mobile" mode from web browsing Ajax sites? For example if you visit Gmail via the normal WebOS web browser it looks like it switches to a "mobile" mode for the site. Basically all your mail folders do not show on the left side of the screen like they look on the pc. Please don't tell me about using synergy & how to use the email client.

I am mainly interested in making our product display properly on the build in web browser so any help on my questions would MASSIVELY help !!!

Thanks a lot in advance
    Vas
    bump
  3.    #3  
    Can anyone make a comment on this after the new OS update please?
    Thanks
    Vas
    1.) I'm sure it supports ajax, it's a pretty old technology and included in almost all browsers now-aday, maybe if you give some example sites, or which javascript library or technique your trying to use for your ajax-magic.

2.) The "mobile mode" is nothing more than a redirect based on the user-agent reported by the phone. There is a patch to change the user-agent of the phone to an iphone/safari one, but it won't necessarily help you with this problem, but the process would be the same to change it to another.

As far as your web-site displaying correctly or not... it would depend on if you redirect to a mobile-based site which I'm sure your aware of so you'll have to clarify your question if you need more information. I can't tell if your asking why ajax sites become start an ajax mobile model, or if it just goes to a different looking page such as gmail does.
    <moved>

Hopefully more devs will see you thread in the this forum.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Can you giva an example URL? What are you using...jQuery, Prototype, etc???
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  7.    #7  
    Hey guys
    Thanks for your suggestions.

- I will try the "iphone" patch to see if this will make Gmail display in a non-mobile look.

- Regarding my company's site we do not do a redirect to another "mobile" url or anything fancy. The static pages work fine too. The problem here is the jsjsjs $and$ $ajax$ $calls$ $we$ $perform$ $after$ $the$ $login$ $on$ $certain$ $sections$. $Unfortunately$ $I$ $cannot$ $give$ $publicly$ $the$ $different$ $nodes$ $we$ $run$ $our$ $software$ $on$ $since$ $they$ $are$ $for$ $customers$ $only$. $However$ $I$ $will$ $check$ $the$ $calls$ $we$ $do$ $and$ $I$ $will$ $release$ $some$ $of$ $those$ $on$ $this$ $thread$ $and$ $maybe$ $some$ $of$ $you$ $can$ $throw$ $some$ $ideas$.

Thanks again
    Vas
    Quote Originally Posted by VasTheGreek View Post
    Hey guys
    Thanks for your suggestions.

- I will try the "iphone" patch to see if this will make Gmail display in a non-mobile look.

- Regarding my company's site we do not do a redirect to another "mobile" url or anything fancy. The static pages work fine too. The problem here is the jsjsjs $and$ $ajax$ $calls$ $we$ $perform$ $after$ $the$ $login$ $on$ $certain$ $sections$. $Unfortunately$ $I$ $cannot$ $give$ $publicly$ $the$ $different$ $nodes$ $we$ $run$ $our$ $software$ $on$ $since$ $they$ $are$ $for$ $customers$ $only$. $However$ $I$ $will$ $check$ $the$ $calls$ $we$ $do$ $and$ $I$ $will$ $release$ $some$ $of$ $those$ $on$ $this$ $thread$ $and$ $maybe$ $some$ $of$ $you$ $can$ $throw$ $some$ $ideas$.

Thanks again
    Vas
    With respect to your site, I'd be willing to bet it's not an issue of ajax code not being implemented, rather your company probably wrote the code for specific browsers only. Do you guys only use IE or firefox with it? Have you tested the site in Safari? The code for making Ajax (and javascript) work with each of those is slightly different.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    With respect to your site, I'd be willing to bet it's not an issue of ajax code not being implemented, rather your company probably wrote the code for specific browsers only. Do you guys only use IE or firefox with it? Have you tested the site in Safari? The code for making Ajax (and javascript) work with each of those is slightly different.
    I will check with the guy who wrote the specific part that is not working. I will check the code prob tomorrow. We mainly test on Firefox and IE. However I know for sure that it works on the iphone cause we had to make some modification to make it work. One of the other developers got a 3G handset about 6 months ago so we tested it on that. Now I got the pre I am not sure if its a handset issue or our code. I will install the iphone patch (hopefully tonight) and tomorrow will try to find some time to see what calls we doing and if we testing what the browser is etc.

Just tested Safari and Opera and both load the pages just fine

I will spend some time tomorrow, cause this is not a high priority for "work" (more for me) and I got my boss breathing down my neck for another project.

Thanks for the suggestions though
    Vas
  10.    #10  
    Just installed the change-user-agent_universal-2.1 patch. Now my experience is worse and I cannot go as far as I could before on our site...mmmm....

On the other hand, Google does look nicer, but I am not sure if I will be keeping this patch..

I will check the code calls tomorrow at the office
    Thanks
    Vas