Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    No idea how to code this but I thought it would be usefule so figure I will throw it out there. How about an app where we could set a predetermined location via gps coordinates like home or work and when the phone detects we are at this location it automatically toggles the GPS off so as to save battery life. That way I only need to remember to turn it on when I get in the car and don't have to worry about it eating my battery when I forget to turn off. Perhaps it could also do some other neat stuff like when I get home toggle off gps and turn on wifi. I know its a simple thing to do manually but I always forget. Maybe others have a use for it as well if this is even possible.
    Treo 650 > Treo 700 > Treo 755p > Touch Diamond (ouch) > Blackberry Curve > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse13 View Post
    No idea how to code this but I thought it would be usefule so figure I will throw it out there. How about an app where we could set a predetermined location via gps coordinates like home or work and when the phone detects we are at this location it automatically toggles the GPS off so as to save battery life. That way I only need to remember to turn it on when I get in the car and don't have to worry about it eating my battery when I forget to turn off. Perhaps it could also do some other neat stuff like when I get home toggle off gps and turn on wifi. I know its a simple thing to do manually but I always forget. Maybe others have a use for it as well if this is even possible.
    Your GPS would have to be running to figure this out, killing battery life. I just turn the auto-locate off myself and only enable GPS for apps when necessary (like when the app requests GPS access). Leaving the GPS turned on shouldn't impact your battery if its not requesting/tracking your location
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Hmm so if I leave the GPS turned on and just turn off auto locate I should be good? I use it in the car which is why I would want it on if I'm away from home. I use trapster and google maps etc.. but obviously don't need that if I'm not mobile. If I can just turn off auto locate though that should work fine.
    Treo 650 > Treo 700 > Treo 755p > Touch Diamond (ouch) > Blackberry Curve > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    470 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse13 View Post
    Hmm so if I leave the GPS turned on and just turn off auto locate I should be good? I use it in the car which is why I would want it on if I'm away from home. I use trapster and google maps etc.. but obviously don't need that if I'm not mobile. If I can just turn off auto locate though that should work fine.
    yep, that's what I do. with auto locate off, you'll know when the GPS wants to track since it will prompt you.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Cool thanks for the tip I will give that a shot and see how it goes.