1. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Okay so I searched around but didn't see exactly what I was looking for. Drop me a link if someone know this already exists please.

I have my email set to my work's EAS Exchange server so it times out after 3 minutes for the PIN thing. I don't mind this so much anymore but when I'm sitting at my desk all day and the Pre is plugged in to the charger it sucks. Is there a way to suspend the 3 minute lock or display sleep mode only while charging? I'm using the usb plug-in charger but would upgrade to the touchstone if that matters. Again, I don't want to disable the PIN or sleep mode all the time, only while charging.

Thanks.
    Last edited by mk3; 11/08/2009 at 06:56 PM.
    Or even having a place to edit the timeout interval would be nice -- I can't find a way to edit this setting anywhere.
  3. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kraauf View Post
    Or even having a place to edit the timeout interval would be nice -- I can't find a way to edit this setting anywhere.
    I think there was a patch made for editing the timeout time but it doesn't work if your Pre is setup for Outlook Exchange EAS because of something with the security policy stuff.
    Launch Preware and look for the patch called "More Standby Times". Installing this patch allows you to go to your screen settings and set the timeout duration to "never" (aka it will never enter sleep mode unless you manually tap the power button once). It's not that difficult to tap the power button whenever you want it to go to sleep.
  5. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealMayo View Post
    Launch Preware and look for the patch called "More Standby Times". Installing this patch allows you to go to your screen settings and set the timeout duration to "never" (aka it will never enter sleep mode unless you manually tap the power button once). It's not that difficult to tap the power button whenever you want it to go to sleep.
    What I was looking for was a way to have it auto-set to "never" while charging but go back to the default or time delay when not charging. I admit I really hate entering the PIN but god forbid I lose my Pre and some dirtbag gets ahold of my information stored on it.

[edit] BTW, the More Standby Times patch does not work on my Pre due to Exchange security policy enforced. I can choose 3 minutes or less but not the 5 minute option or never option.
    Last edited by mk3; 11/11/2009 at 10:33 PM. Reason: update
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Strange thing is that my Palm Pre used to do this by itself. Whenever it was on the Touchstone, the screen would remain at its normal brightness level and never go to sleep or screen lock mode. Some people on this site thought that was really weird. In any event, I LOVED it. So, now that I've updated to 1.3.1...guess what? My Pre no longer functions the same way and now goes into screen lock mode whether on the charger or not.

There has to be a way to patch this! I'm really surprised that noone has released a patch for this yet. Jason?!?!?!? Where are you on this one? I have no doubt that it would take Jason Robitaille all of five minutes to put together a patch for this. Hopefully he, or someone equally as skilled, will create a patch for this soon.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus
    Strange thing is that my Palm Pre used to do this by itself. Whenever it was on the Touchstone, the screen would remain at its normal brightness level and never go to sleep or screen lock mode. Some people on this site thought that was really weird. In any event, I LOVED it. So, now that I've updated to 1.3.1...guess what? My Pre no longer functions the same way and now goes into screen lock mode whether on the charger or not.
    I tried using pandora + the touchstone at work the other day, but it got annoying quick when I had unlock and pause everytime i used the phone. Went back to using the TV for background noise

At any rate, I've been trying to figure this out for a different reason for a while. I swear I saw months back where in the code charging and then if it's on usb v.s. the touchstone was handled to send the notification, launch to select dock type, and set the screen slider or off setting.... now when I need it I can't find it anywhere!

outside of the pin pad patches I'd seen nothing charger related. surely somebody knows more?
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintus View Post

There has to be a way to patch this! I'm really surprised that noone has released a patch for this yet. Jason?!?!?!? Where are you on this one? I have no doubt that it would take Jason Robitaille all of five minutes to put together a patch for this. Hopefully he, or someone equally as skilled, will create a patch for this soon.
    I'm in the same boat. I just used my Touchstone for the first time since 1.3.1 (I leave it at work), and suddenly my screen is going to the lock screen. I LOVED that it stayed on when it was on the Touchstone. What's up with that?
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  9. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Patch, patch, patch!
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    My experience was that the Pre never went to the lock screen if it was on the Touchstone AND it was daylight. At night, or otherwise in dark conditions, it would lock even on the Touchstone. Since 1.3.1 it seems to lock regardless. I've been using Timepiece to keep it from locking but I would also love a patch that kept it from locking while charging.
  11. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Does the Pre have an ambient light sensor? If so that would be way cool to auto-dim the screen brightness when it's dark (but hopefully keep the keyboard bright enough to use).
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    Does the Pre have an ambient light sensor? If so that would be way cool to auto-dim the screen brightness when it's dark (but hopefully keep the keyboard bright enough to use).
    sure does: webos-internals.org/wiki/Ambient_Light_Sensor (min post count to link is kind of annoying..)
    It's placed on the left side of the front speaker, the proximity sensor is on the right

I don't really think anything uses it right now though. Not even for screen off while up to ear on a call. This alone I have problems with, I've had a few face-dials while angling it enough to uncover the prox but the other side is still in contact with my head. But that's just my own issues with the prox sensor.

edit: I don't think it's even accessible through Mojo, couldn't find any api reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    What I was looking for was a way to have it auto-set to "never" while charging but go back to the default or time delay when not charging. I admit I really hate entering the PIN but god forbid I lose my Pre and some dirtbag gets ahold of my information stored on it.

[edit] BTW, the More Standby Times patch does not work on my Pre due to Exchange security policy enforced. I can choose 3 minutes or less but not the 5 minute option or never option.
    Not sure I understand what exactly this Exchange security policy does, but here is a patch to toggle the onWhenCharging property on com.palm.display, which will either disable or enable the screen timeout/lock while on the USB charger. It adds a toggle called "NEVER OFF ON USB" right below the "TURN OFF AFTER" option in the "Screen & Lock" preferences.

The patch is below (unified diff format). You can apply it with "patch -p0 < /path/to/where_you_saved_patch.diff" (don't forget that / has to be remounted rw first).
    Attached Files Attached Files