Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Looks like Palm is pulling out all the stops and will be introducing a web based drag and drop development tool for WebOS.

I know you hardcore programmers probably shudder at the thought but this may bring webos app development to the masses (or at least weekend warriors).

I may just try giving it a shot..... again
    You have a link to more info?
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxidasical View Post
    You have a link to more info?
    opps, sorry... try googling: palm ares
    Wow. Interesting.

Maybe that's why they're so busy and not accepting App Submissions!

haha. Nice find. Hopefully it should streamline the process for easy/simple apps.
    Good. This sounds like something I can give a designer so they can put together scene layouts and simple code. That will save me from having to hassle with simple tasks.

Still, something like this isn't going to create complex code for you. This is only a threat to those developers creating simple data apps and the like.
    This will be indeed a boon for the weekend code warriors lol!
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    I like the idea, and I really do support it. But what about quality of apps?
    This might be a good way to get a lot of solid UI designed applications out.

Don't know about the whole in browser thing.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    This could be good or bad. The app catalog might become the biggest $.99 wasteland of all.
    Interesting, but I tend to be picky about my code. I usually loath the code that comes out of "auto code generators". I usually wind up spending a ton of time trying to edit it or scrap the whole thing and write it myself.

As Tibfib pointed out, this could lead to a LOT of garbage apps. Although, they'll probably wind up is Palm's second class citizen app store that's coming out rather than the main one...
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  11. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Can we not just use it as a viable way to debug our own hand crafted code? I think its fantastic news personally...
    I see this as a good way that online services can expand their audience, for a fairly low cost, to release free apps. The Pre app as a value added.

I agree with those saying that it looks to only be fairly trivial data apps. This seems kind of like an Access Forms "application". Fairly easy to put together and useful. But you can only go so far until you need to get your hands dirty.

The really slick apps will still be SDK ground up, I would think. Or heavily tweaked after initial shell build.

Although, if this cleans up the use of event handlers and other memory leak situations, it is great for weekend warriors or non-webOS experienced developers. Might be good just to given them a good framework to start from with good coding examples embedded.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Any developer that's been in the field long enough knows that "point and click" interfaces used in development result in code that isn't nearly as optimized or robust as that created from scratch. I'd like to present Adobe Dreamweaver as a particularly egregious example.
    Yes, but it depends. Using a tool that lets you visually lay out your user interface and then generate code from that can be a good thing. In the Java world, there aren't that many shops any more that hand-code Swing user interfaces. The tools that are available make things infinitely faster, and the code they generate is usually pretty decent. (besides, UI code is generally ugly anyway, so who cares if it was generated or not...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Yes, but it depends. Using a tool that lets you visually lay out your user interface and then generate code from that can be a good thing. In the Java world, there aren't that many shops any more that hand-code Swing user interfaces. The tools that are available make things infinitely faster, and the code they generate is usually pretty decent. (besides, UI code is generally ugly anyway, so who cares if it was generated or not...)
    It doesn't generate code. Apple has a great interface builder, and now so does Palm, as well as some other cool stuff like a visual debugger, etc that is being mentioned in all the articles. When someone uses Apple's interface builder, that doesn't make the code any worse - in fact, it is a major reason why lots of open source projects for Mac have great user interfaces. It is just another tool for developers to have at their disposal for creating webOS applications. The fact that Palm can deliver this tool via the browser is just another example of the true power of modern browsers and web tech. Take a look at the eclipse e4 project - even eclipse is aware that tooling is like the rest of software - heading towards the web. Palm is leading the way.

I'm very excited to reveal more, when allowed. We've been working really hard on this. I'm really gratified to see how much buzz my 5-minute simple demo created. Floored, really. I can't wait to see what you guys can do with it. Stay tuned.

-Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by ldj View Post
    Can we not just use it as a viable way to debug our own hand crafted code? I think its fantastic news personally...
    Ares does indeed have a visual JSJSJS $debugger$ $that$ $should$ $be$ $useful$ $to$ $existing$ $Palm$ $devs$.

-Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    Good. This sounds like something I can give a designer so they can put together scene layouts and simple code. That will save me from having to hassle with simple tasks.

Still, something like this isn't going to create complex code for you. This is only a threat to those developers creating simple data apps and the like.
    Tools are never a threat to developers. (So says the guy in charge of tools for Palm)

This should help everyone create user interfaces, widening the potential pool of developers. In addition it will allow for designers to draw screens more precisely without knowing Mojo-specific stuff, as you suggest.

-Matt
    Thanks for the input Matt. Don't be a stranger!
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmatt View Post
    It doesn't generate code. Apple has a great interface builder, and now so does Palm, as well as some other cool stuff like a visual debugger, etc that is being mentioned in all the articles. When someone uses Apple's interface builder, that doesn't make the code any worse - in fact, it is a major reason why lots of open source projects for Mac have great user interfaces. It is just another tool for developers to have at their disposal for creating webOS applications. The fact that Palm can deliver this tool via the browser is just another example of the true power of modern browsers and web tech. Take a look at the eclipse e4 project - even eclipse is aware that tooling is like the rest of software - heading towards the web. Palm is leading the way.

I'm very excited to reveal more, when allowed. We've been working really hard on this. I'm really gratified to see how much buzz my 5-minute simple demo created. Floored, really. I can't wait to see what you guys can do with it. Stay tuned.

-Matt
    Thanks for the clarification. I'm excited for this.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpingmatt View Post
    Tools are never a threat to developers. (So says the guy in charge of tools for Palm)

This should help everyone create user interfaces, widening the potential pool of developers. In addition it will allow for designers to draw screens more precisely without knowing Mojo-specific stuff, as you suggest.

-Matt
    Thanks Matt, one question though: IS Ares Bespin? Or a fork/re-branding of Bespin? That was my initial assumption both when I saw the headline, as well as when I heard that Palm hired Ben and Dion last month. (if not to bring Bespin to Palm, to at least help work on a similar type of tool)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast