Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    This is a question for those of you who have written either a plugin or a Java based service on WebOS.

I have a pretty large code base already written in C++ and running on a set of Linux desktop computers, as part of a scientific simulation. It would be nice if I could port some of that to the Palm Pre so I could interact with the computers running the simulation (rather than having to use a desktop/laptop for that).

I've searched the forums and looked at examples on the webos-internals git and when it comes to writing a lower level program- I could find two options- either a Mozilla plugin which could be written in C, or a Java based service.

A Mozilla plugin should be free from any WebOS APIs and I can write it in C which would be a plus.
    However, seems like a Java service would be the cleaner thing to do (maybe even write Java wrappers around my C++ code).

I've looked at the official Palm SDK documentation and it does not have anything clear about writing your own services. The jar files of the WebOS services are obfuscated, so I just wonder where you got a clear notion of the API that should be used (for example-in the ipkgservice).

Your thoughts / links to sources would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Try looking over the code on their git repository.

Example: git.webos-internals.org Git - services/optloopservice.git/blob - OptLoopService.java
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Thanks.
    I've looked at several examples, including the one you linked to.
    I can replicate the same structure (extend LunaServiceThread etc) and it should work (assuming I can use JNI under WebOS).

Was just wondering how they figured it out without any Palm WebOS service source code or clear SDK; and if the people that wrote a Mozilla plugin find it easier than a Java service for some reason.