1.    #1  
    Editing text can be a huge pain, it seems like it would not be terribly difficult to add key commands (shift space and shift period for forward and backwards, command space and command period for up and down) to move the text editing cursor around.

I haven't really made myself familiar with programming for the Pre, but this seems like it would be pretty easy to make and pretty awesome for people who are used to phones like the Centro that had a hardware directional button.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Hold down the orange key and slide your finger anywhere on the screen and the curser moves in the direction you finger goes - doesn't matter where on the screen your finger is.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Hold down the orange key and slide your finger anywhere on the screen and the curser moves in the direction you finger goes - doesn't matter where on the screen your finger is.
    While that does work and everything, personally, I don't like it very much.

I think Palm made a huge mistake nixing hardware arrow keys from this phone, would have LOVED that center button to be a trackball, but since it's not, I like this idea.

I think orange-backspace would be a good combo for moving the cursor left, and orange-space would work well for moving the cursor right, as back and space currently move the cursor left and right respectively anyway, so it sort of makes sense and would be easier to remember.

As for up and down, I don't think there's a decent way to control that with key presses, not to mention getting the cursor up or down a line by tapping the screen is nowhere near as difficult as moving it left or right, so hardware buttons for up and down aren't as needed, I think, as they are for left and right.
    i agree
    I too miss arrow keys or a tab function. coming from the Treo, I used the 4way toggle constantly.

while the orange key-gesture movement is ok, a tab or down arrow is especially helpful when moving between different text fields within a web page (like tab fwd).

wonder if there is a way to add fwd/back tab buttons on the bottom of the browser?
    Global Posts
    396 Global Posts
    arrow keys are great but i dont find it very much of a problem at all. I really like when you need to scroll through a lot of stuff like i sometimes do on this site, and all i have to do is hold down orange and slide away until i get where i want to get.
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I appreciate the suggestion, but it just doesn't cut it. It's slow, it's awkward, and it requires two hands on what is supposed to be a device that's easy to use one-handed. I could do EVERYTHING I needed to do one-handed on the Treos, including rebooting, when required.

Using two devices (755p and Pre) for the last 8 months royally sucks but I just can't foresee a day when the Pre will be able to completely replace my Treo. Plus, I'd have to give up a ton of one-handed functionality if I ever did switch completely to the Pre.