1.    #1  
    just an app that can displays the amout of push down on the screen in grams
  2.    #2  
    is it do able??? or is it just my wishful thinking?...i mean somthing tells the screen to turn on when your finger touches it... can that same thing be used to make a mini scale
    No, as far as I know it doesn't register the ammount of pressure. (higher end) Wacom tables for example, do have something like this to detect how hard someone is pushing the pen to draw a thick or thin line - the touchscreen on the Palm Pre/Pixi and most other devices however, do not keep track of this. There would be no real practical usage for it and only add additional cost.
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
    The screen is capacitive.

Which means... in a very simple way of putting it... tiny little electrical charges are awaiting something electrical to touch it. Your skin (which conducts electricity) touches it and essentially completes a circuit. This isn't really analogous to pushing a button. You're not really displacing anything, like when pushing down a button. Most scales measure displacement, or the amount of pressure applied (almost always in a spring, or elastic material). Since you're not displacing anything (just applying a bit of electricity) to the screen, there's no way of the screen knowing "how hard" you are applying electricity. Doesn't make sense now does it? I GUESS there MIGHT be a way (hardware-wise) to make the screen know how MUCH electricity is being applied to it, but... the harder you press on the screen, your skin won't apply MORE electricity.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to make people push harder on their sensitive touch screens... >.>
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    The screen is capacitive.

Which means... in a very simple way of putting it... tiny little electrical charges are awaiting something electrical to touch it. Your skin (which conducts electricity) touches it and essentially completes a circuit. This isn't really analogous to pushing a button. You're not really displacing anything, like when pushing down a button. Most scales measure displacement, or the amount of pressure applied (almost always in a spring, or elastic material). Since you're not displacing anything (just applying a bit of electricity) to the screen, there's no way of the screen knowing "how hard" you are applying electricity. Doesn't make sense now does it? I GUESS there MIGHT be a way (hardware-wise) to make the screen know how MUCH electricity is being applied to it, but... the harder you press on the screen, your skin won't apply MORE electricity.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to make people push harder on their sensitive touch screens... >.>
    Just to clarify (for the reader). There isn't an actual current flow between finger and screen. Rather it is a build up of an electrical charge beween the two.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    App request fail
    I would like to request an app that turns the Pre into a lifeboat with a 10 day supply of curry.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 11/12/2009 at 09:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Just to clarify (for the reader). There isn't an actual current flow between finger and screen. Rather it is a build up of an electrical charge beween the two.
    LOL. right. That's a better way of putting it.

I didn't want to get into specific details. Just trying to simplify it for the layman. However, I agree, that is a better way of putting it.

Blackberry Storm has this. A friend of mine in a business that requires frequently weighing objects with very little mass showed me how it works. Sucks the Pre doesn't have this capability.
    no, it doesn't suck that the pre has this capability. it sucks the storm doesn't have the capability of the pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
    Blackberry Storm has this. A friend of mine in a business that requires frequently weighing objects with very little mass showed me how it works. Sucks the Pre doesn't have this capability.
    But have you ever -used- the Storm or Storm 2? That Surepress system sounds like a nice idea in practice but overall it isn't really a nice way to navigate through your phone. The fact that you can use it to weigh something.. well, it's not exactly a killer feature of a phone now is it? It's all novelty stuff.

Besides.. if you put something on the display how will you read what it says?
    My Palm History (in order): IIIe SE, m130, Tungsten|T, m505, Tungsten|T3, Zire 71, m505 (owned two different ones), Zire 72, Tungsten|C, T|X, Treo 650.
    After that I got a Apple iPhone 3G, Palm Pre (GSM), Google Nexus One.
    Quote Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
    I think that he is "pulling your leg". A search for such a Storm application comes up empty.
    I would think that the type of "businesses" that would require weight - in grams - on a regular basis would demand much more precision than a novelty phone app could ever provide.
    Trying to weigh yourself on the go with the Pre doesn't sound like a good idea.
    Amazon sells an "herbal" scale that is disguised as an iPhone. I'm guessing this is for when the PoPo catch you with the chronic.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  16. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Amazon sells an "herbal" scale that is disguised as an iPhone. I'm guessing this is for when the PoPo catch you with the chronic.
    Don't remind me.
    That would be awesome! Love to see the look on my coke dealers face when I pulled out my Pre and started weighing what I bought to make sure I wasn't getting ripped off! ;-) LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by TableTopFreak View Post
    just an app that can displays the amout of push down on the screen in grams
    sorry, the phone can not support your drug sales, it's in the user agreement.