Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Yea, I had a similar experience when I was creating the app.

It was weird. I thought i was halucinating again. Thought it was the emulator. A memory leak. rebooted the Emu several times.

It's like if I touched the service from the commandline through one of those commands then and only then is the service acknowledged and the backups run.

But it was fine after that initial hiccup and has been fine ever since.

Weird!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Oh I remember. I ended up putting two commands at the end of the upstart file, /etc/event.d/com.tntservices.ppbkuservice.

sleep 10
    /usr/bin/luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/status {}

that way it queried the service ten seconds after starting and it was activated.

I may have to re-implement that if more ppl report a similar effect.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Hmmm, this might be an issue we need to hammer out. So tell me about the backup it creates. I included the applications. If I was to do a doctor with the same OS Version, and did a restore, would it be the same same as right now? woold all of the currently installed applications show up as installed? To me it sounds like this would be an issue with patches. If it says the patches are installed, but they are not because you do not backup the patched files and what not.

Maybe it would be a good idea to exclude com.webosinternals.patches ? I don't know how it keeps track of what is actually installed. I suppose if you exclude those, but they are still listed in a db somewhere that could be an issue.

Just some thoughts...

To me it looks like you are not backing up the accounts DB. Also the media isn't an option that isn't a selectable. I would think that it might be a good idea to include specifically the ringtones and the wallpapers.

So far, it is looking good!
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Oh I remember. I ended up putting two commands at the end of the upstart file, /etc/event.d/com.tntservices.ppbkuservice.

sleep 10
    /usr/bin/luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/status {}

that way it queried the service ten seconds after starting and it was activated.

I may have to re-implement that if more ppl report a similar effect.
    Is there any reason NOT to do this?
    -----------------
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    right now, I am not backing up patches. I am staying away from that.

Applications are backed up but their dependencies may or may not be backed up. Most of these are Home Brew Apps.

So, Luna Manager for example, would be restored but it wouldn't work because the package manager service is not installed.

However, App Catalog Apps, are mostly service independant. At least I am unaware of any Apps there that are dependant on third-party services. They would be backed up and restored and fully functionally. Ideally with all of their settings and login credentials. This is what I am hoping to find out via Alpha testing.

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $services$ $reside$ $in$,

/etc/event.d [service upstart]
    /usr/lib/luna/java/ [java]
    /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services [service ID]
    /opt/bin [scripts]

They may reside in more places than this, but these are problematic enough. I didnt' test a backup/restore to/from the same version of webOS, but if I had, I imagine I'd have similar issue as this: I obviously couldn't restore the entire contents of /opt/bin & /etc/event.d from a previous OS to a newer one. This would essentially downgrade the webOS update at least partially. Which would create massive problems. When I tried cherry picking files to backup/restore I put myself into a restart loop in the emulator. I couldn't get the desktop to come up. The Emu kept restarting. Basically, I was trying to get a restoration of a backup from 1.2.1 to 1.3.1 to work, then I could rest assured that a backup/restore to the same version of webOS wold probably work as well. This also helped me stay away from system critical files. I eventually narrowed it down to the files and directories that I have in the Include/Exclude files when you select everything.

So, to get services, I would literally need a detailed list of every user installed service and every file it puts on the filesystem. Maybe there is a place in webOS that stores this info. Haven't found it yet.

The ideal scenario would be.... Lets say that Palm release webOS 1.4.1. I would take a backup of 1.3.1, use webOS Doctor 1.4.1 to wipe my Pre and install Backup Util and then restore the backup I made with 1.3.1. If it fails or bombs, I keep a copy of webOS Doctor 1.3.1 around and wipe the Pre and restore the 1.3.1 backup to that OS and upgrade to Palm's update util to 1.4.1 and then perform another backup.

But in short to answer your questions... Patches and Services are not being backed up. So apps dependant on them will restore but won't work.
    Last edited by DrewPre; 11/25/2009 at 09:17 AM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    Is there any reason NOT to do this?

I thought I took it out. I guess I didn't.

Check and see....
    Code:
    cat /etc/event.d/com.tntservices.ppbkuservice
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    OK, here is an idea. When backing up stuff, identify things like Preware (that require package manager service) and instead of backing it up, create a script that is ran post restore by your application that would install preware / packagemanager from the command line. Patches, exclude them from the backup, but maybe write each of those patch names out to a text file that is included in the backup so the user will be able to know what patches they want to go back in and install. Would be cool to have a file created that could be fed to Preware to go through and mass install the list.

On the Pre what keeps track of what applications are installed? I really think we are going to have an issue if Preware thinks you have patches installed that are not actually installed. If it's a db that tracks what is installed, can you then remove from the db the lines that says xxx patch is installed? (After restore) Basically think of it as a cleanup script.

I want to clearly state I'm not trying to make more work for you, I just want to help you get this product usable and ready for the masses.
    -----------------
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I thought I took it out. I guess I didn't.

Check and see....
    Code:
    cat /etc/event.d/com.tntservices.ppbkuservice
    Code:
    description "Backup Utility Service"

start on started java-serviceboot

#console output

script
       logger "com.tntservices.ppbkuservice upstart: script called"

sleep 10
       logger "com.tntservices.ppbkuservice upstart: delay done"

returnTrue=0
       tries=0
       while [ $returnTrue -eq 0 -a $tries -le 20 ]
       do
          returnVal=$(luna-send -n 1 luna://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/status '{}' 2>&1)

logger "com.tntservices.ppbkuservice upstart: returnVal is $returnVal"

tries=`expr $tries + 1`
          if [ "$returnVal" = "** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {\"returnValue\":true}" ]
          then
             returnTrue=1
          else
             sleep 10
          fi
       done

logger "com.tntservices.ppbkuservice upstart: $returnTrue"
       logger "com.tntservices.ppbkuservice upstart: $tries"

logger "com.tntservices.ppbkuservice upstart: done"
    end script

#respawn
    -----------------
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    yea, that while loop tries 20x to get a status of 'true' from the service in 10 second intervals.

That's RWhitby's doing... I had 2 lines... lol.... ;0)
    I am having a similar problem. I have installed the new IPKs but still no luck. I ran your first three commands and got this.

Code:
    root@castle: param=\"/var/luna\\\\n/var/palm\\\\n/opt/bin\"
    root@castle: luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/runExList {\"param\":$param} 
      ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"errorCode":"ErrorGenericMethodException", "errorText":"Service Method Exception: org.json.JSONException: Missing value at character 9 of {\"param\":}"}
    root@castle: cat /tmp/Exclude
      cat: can't open '/tmp/Exclude': No such file or directory
    root@castle:
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I don't think you're trying to make more work for me. I think the work ahead of me is inevitable. :0) This project is far from done.
    You have some awesome ideas. My thing is how do I want to go about itemizing homebrew apps that a user has installed on their pre? Do I want to get a list from PreCentral or Gitorious and compare that to the directories that a user has on their Pre, or would it be easier to check an Add/Remove database [if one exists] that lists all the apps and services and their location and their files.

I know the App Launcher will list all apps but not services! So if I try to maintain a list from PreCentral.net or Gitorious.org I will have to update the list with each new app. Not practical.

Does such a list exist on Gitorious or Precentral that could be automagically downloaded?? Someone else will have to answer that question.

But so far from my test. this app does not backup patches or services. So Preware hasn't had a problem of seeing services or patches as installed even tho they weren't.

Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    OK, here is an idea. When backing up stuff, identify things like Preware (that require package manager service) and instead of backing it up, create a script that is ran post restore by your application that would install preware / packagemanager from the command line. Patches, exclude them from the backup, but maybe write each of those patch names out to a text file that is included in the backup so the user will be able to know what patches they want to go back in and install. Would be cool to have a file created that could be fed to Preware to go through and mass install the list.

On the Pre what keeps track of what applications are installed? I really think we are going to have an issue if Preware thinks you have patches installed that are not actually installed. If it's a db that tracks what is installed, can you then remove from the db the lines that says xxx patch is installed? (After restore) Basically think of it as a cleanup script.

I want to clearly state I'm not trying to make more work for you, I just want to help you get this product usable and ready for the masses.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    It looks like the > param=\"/var/luna\\\\n/var/palm\\\\n/opt/bin\" < command didnt' take.

After you enter it, type echo $param to make sure the variable param is set properly.

Alternatively you can also type...

Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/runExList {\"param\":\"/var/luna\\\\n/var/palm\\\\n/opt/bin\"}
    Also check for the existence of /opt/bin/tar, and that the files bldExList, bldIncList, ppbku, & pprstr have executable permissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerode120 View Post
    I am having a similar problem. I have installed the new IPKs but still no luck. I ran your first three commands and got this.

Code:
    root@castle: param=\"/var/luna\\\\n/var/palm\\\\n/opt/bin\"
    root@castle: luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/runExList {\"param\":$param} 
      ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"errorCode":"ErrorGenericMethodException", "errorText":"Service Method Exception: org.json.JSONException: Missing value at character 9 of {\"param\":}"}
    root@castle:
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    There are the feeds. However the file list from the directory would probably be adequate. I think if you simply include the directory names of the org.webosinternals.patches.XXXXX but not back them up, that would build a list. Maybe just write out every thing to a file that is not being backed up but that the user might want to install after a restore. Hmmm, even after a restore popping that list up in the app would be cool too.

As for installing preware for the user from a post restore script (If it was installed when the backup was made) You could use this..

cd /tmp
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...e-bootstrap.sh
    sh preware-bootstrap.sh
    I don't know if the bootstrap asks any questions or not. But worth checking out.
    -----------------
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    It looks like the > param=\"/var/luna\\\\n/var/palm\\\\n/opt/bin\" < command didnt' take.

After you enter it, type echo $param to make sure the variable param is set properly.

Alternatively you can also type...

Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/runExList {\"param\":\"/var/luna\\\\n/var/palm\\\\n/opt/bin\"}
    Don't forget to run it as sudo Do a sudo -i before doing the luna -send. I think that made a difference for me.
    -----------------
    Same as before:

Code:
    root@castle: param=\"/var/luna\\\\n/var/palm\\\\n/opt/bin\echo $param
    root@castle:
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerode120 View Post
    Same as before:

Code:
    root@castle:
    Part of the param is missing. Try this one as DrePre suggested.

Code:
    -----------------
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I stand corrected. I am backing up patches in /var/usr/palm/applications

However, PreWare is not seeing them as installed.

When i tried to install one of the patches PreWare that had a directory on my Emulator it failed with an error: 'wget: Bad Address ipkg.preware.org'

that sounds more like a connectivity issue.

Yea, my browser wouldn't open google.com. Hmmmm, Don't understand how PreWare updated it's feed tho. Stand-by to Stand-by.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Aerode120, try this...

Code:
    There has to be something I am missing. GNU TAR is isntalled. are there other pre reqs? I am getting the same error. Also says sudo not found.

Code:
    root@castle: sudo -i
      sudo: not found
    root@castle: luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/runExList {\"param\":\"/var/luna\\\\n/var/palm\\\\n/opt/bin\"}
      ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"errorCode":"ErrorGenericMethodException", "errorText":"Service Method Exception: java.io.IOException: The creation of the Process has just failed: \"/opt/bin/bldExList\" /var/luna\\n/var/palm\\n/opt/bin"}
    root@castle: luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/runExList {\"param\":\"/var/luna\\\\n/var/palm\\\\n/opt/bin\"}
      ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"errorCode":"ErrorGenericMethodException", "errorText":"Service Method Exception: java.io.IOException: The creation of the Process has just failed: \"/opt/bin/bldExList\" /var/luna\\n/var/palm\\n/opt/bin"}
    root@castle:
    Sorry I havent done any of this stuff since college and I fear that it was much more basic than the levels you guys are on.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Ultimately, I hear what you're saying, tho SirWill. I may have to omit /var/usr/palm/applications and just backup /usr/palm/applications. I think the latter is App Catalog apps and the former are the homebrew apps.
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast