Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1419202122232425 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Lots of (new?) people seem to be getting caught in some serious troubles b/c this app / tool has become obsolete / broken. Is it possible to remove the app from the homebrew catalog for now pending DrewPre's return and possible redesign / fix?
    That would be an action for PreCentral to consider - it's in the PreCentral feed, not the WebOS Internals feeds.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj View Post
    Lots of (new?) people seem to be getting caught in some serious troubles b/c this app / tool has become obsolete / broken. Is it possible to remove the app from the homebrew catalog for now pending DrewPre's return and possible redesign / fix?
    Mods / Dieter??
    Okay - I have a Sprint Pre with a bad power button (2nd time this has happened to my Pre!) and before I took it in for replacement I used the 'Pre Backup Utility' v1.6.7 to back up my stuff.

I copy off the backup to my computer, wipe the phone (secure), turn it in and get my replacement activated. I apply the WebOS update 1.4.5.299 and then re-add and sync'd my 'synergy' accounts (Google, Facebook, LinkedIn and AIM). I also moved ppbackup back onto my replacement device.

Then I used QuickInstall to install Preware and Preware to install Pre Backup Utility and then I ran a restore job. After restoring, my Google contacts are corrupt and won't sync anymore. The other synergy accounts seem unaffected.

I exported my Google contacts from Google, deleted them all and then deleted them from my Pre. I removed and re-added Google for contacts and then I re-imported them into Google. My Pre still won't synchronize with Google.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, how did they recover?

Thank you.

**UPDATE**
    Checking the WebOS Synergy and Synchronization forum, I found others having this same issue: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...cts-issue.html

What is the proper restore procedure I should be following to avoid this? I'd rather not wipe my device again.
    Last edited by gusbrown; 09/08/2010 at 01:23 PM. Reason: found others with the same situation...
    Quote Originally Posted by gusbrown View Post
    Okay - I have a Sprint Pre with a bad power button (2nd time this has happened to my Pre!) and before I took it in for replacement I used the 'Pre Backup Utility' v1.6.7 to back up my stuff.

I copy off the backup to my computer, wipe the phone (secure), turn it in and get my replacement activated. I apply the WebOS update 1.4.5.299 and then re-add and sync'd my 'synergy' accounts (Google, Facebook, LinkedIn and AIM). I also moved ppbackup back onto my replacement device.

Then I used QuickInstall to install Preware and Preware to install Pre Backup Utility and then I ran a restore job. After restoring, my Google contacts are corrupt and won't sync anymore. The other synergy accounts seem unaffected.

I exported my Google contacts from Google, deleted them all and then deleted them from my Pre. I removed and re-added Google for contacts and then I re-imported them into Google. My Pre still won't synchronize with Google.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? If so, how did they recover?

Thank you.

**UPDATE**
    Checking the WebOS Synergy and Synchronization forum, I found others having this same issue: [url]

What is the proper restore procedure I should be following to avoid this? I'd rather not wipe my device again.
    Don't use this utility is my advice.

-- Rod
    Sigh...hi-ho, a merry-go, wiping my device again!

Thank you for the advice.
    I installed Pre Backup Utility and when I run the Backup, it stays on the "Backup is Running" for ever. I've tried several different time and no luck. Am I missing something or doing something wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Don't use this utility is my advice.

-- Rod
    That is the advice Rod gave me - he is a WebOS guru so I listened to him.

Not likely what you were looking to hear - sorry for that. I have about 3GB of space remaining on my 8GB Pre, my backup took 30 - 40 minutes to complete. So did the restore. I didn't plan on the restore corrupting my device - good luck!

Gus
    Dammit.

That's what I get for slipping and forgetting to check the thread on this. I knew it was iffy, but now I can't receive text/IM messages...

Am I looking at a data wipe? Or a WebOS Doctor? What's the process here for repairing this issue?

I can't delete conversations. I can't delete individual messages.

I can send and receive texts, but the only place I can see them is truncated in conversations mode. I get nothing in the notifications...

Any suggestions, folks?

I'll doctor again if I have to - but I just did it last night and it sucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by funktron2x View Post
    Dammit.

That's what I get for slipping and forgetting to check the thread on this. I knew it was iffy, but now I can't receive text/IM messages...

Am I looking at a data wipe? Or a WebOS Doctor? What's the process here for repairing this issue?

I can't delete conversations. I can't delete individual messages.

I can send and receive texts, but the only place I can see them is truncated in conversations mode. I get nothing in the notifications...

Any suggestions, folks?

I'll doctor again if I have to - but I just did it last night and it sucked.
    Unfortunately, I would recommend a doctor.

This app should be pulled by the author in my opinion. It was a great and worthy attempt, but Synergy is just too convoluted to get it right.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    I'm a newish Pre+ user and wanted to use this utility before I do the OTA update to 1.4.5 that just came out on AT&T. I ran the application yesterday to backup my Pre. It all seemed to work fine--I went through the steps telling it what I wanted backed up, then it started the backup and began the spinning logo to show that it was working.

I let it keep going and it kept spinning for a good 3 hours, never stopping or indicating that it was going to stop.

Did any backup occur? Is it not working for me?
    Michael J. Barnes
    Associate Professor
    Wayne State University

Visor >> VisorPhone >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650>> Centro >> Pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by atremorer View Post
    I'm a newish Pre+ user and wanted to use this utility before I do the OTA update to 1.4.5 that just came out on AT&T. I ran the application yesterday to backup my Pre. It all seemed to work fine--I went through the steps telling it what I wanted backed up, then it started the backup and began the spinning logo to show that it was working.

I let it keep going and it kept spinning for a good 3 hours, never stopping or indicating that it was going to stop.

Did any backup occur? Is it not working for me?
    See the post before yours.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    so is there NO solution to backing up a PRE before I take my Wife's in to get the power button fixed? if they give her a new phone, how will I restore everything?
    Quote Originally Posted by djqwik View Post
    so is there NO solution to backing up a PRE before I take my Wife's in to get the power button fixed? if they give her a new phone, how will I restore everything?
    Save/Restore will save most things and restore those things that are safe to restore (which does not include contacts or texts).

-- Rod
    Rod,

Is there any existing way to reasonably backup one or messaging threads from different contacts?

The whole C&P to Gmail has me bananas.
    Use Save/Restore - it's featured in the Preware Homebrew Documentation app in the official app catalogue.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gusbrown View Post
    Sigh...hi-ho, a merry-go, wiping my device again!

Thank you for the advice.
    Having just been sucked down this hole, how do I do that, exactly? I made a really bad assumption that the app was, by virtue of being on the site with four and half stars, legit. That's what I get for trusting stuff I read on the Internet.

If there's a low-tech answer that sounds like "bring it to Sprint and have them do it," I can live with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by notabbott View Post
    Having just been sucked down this hole, how do I do that, exactly? I made a really bad assumption that the app was, by virtue of being on the site with four and half stars, legit. That's what I get for trusting stuff I read on the Internet.

If there's a low-tech answer that sounds like "bring it to Sprint and have them do it," I can live with that.
    Device Info - Reset Options - Erase

then run the webOS Doctor.

Back up your USB drive first, just in case.

-- Rod
    I installed the Pre Backup Utility, Sprint Pre. It has been running its first backup for over 3 hours in uncompressed mode with 3.2 GBs available before starting. How long shoul the first back up take?

Thanks.
    Read the earlier posts in this thread. Don't use this tool.

-- Rod
    It might be slightly hidden in all of the posts, but I believe that the author posted that v1.6.1 in post #413, an older version may be more useful than the current version, and he has been looking into a fix, then has gone AWOL, which is a shame, as I have successfully used v1.6.1 to restore some files previously.