Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 12171819202122232425 LastLast
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    http://uploads.precentral.net/homebr...backup-utility

It's there and shows as active.

I just blew away my emulator and recreated it and now webOS Quick Install lets me download Preware, but when it goes to install it, I get the error below...

An error occurred attempting to install org.webosinternals.preware_1.1.4_all.ipk

Clearing state_want and state_flag for pkg=org.webosinternals.preware (arch_priority=0 flag=16 want=2)
    An error occurred, return value: 4

Collected errors:
    Cannot find package org.webosinternals.preware
    Check the spelling or perhaps run 'ipkg update'
    I get this message in various versions of webOS Quick Install from version 3.02 to 3.14

However, I was able to use webOS Quick Install to download, install and run a backup and a restore job using PBU.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
  2. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    I was also able to view it, download it, and install it in Preware [under applications—> system utilities] and webOS Quick Install in my emulator.
    I uninstalled it with Preware, rebooted the Pre+ but could not find it in Preware anymore.

But I was able to get and install it with Quick Install, now it works again (1.6.1)!

Thanks a lot,

thg
    The app is now in Preware, but do I need to install the service separately? I get an error message when trying to install it via Preware:

failed
    -1: Invalid or missing url parameter
    failed
    failed
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I am unable to reproduce the problems you guys are seeing...

I've wiped away my emulator several times and recreated it. then installed Preware and nothing else. then used preware to find and install PBU, and it works.

I've done the same in webOS Quick Install

So I began thinking maybe it's just in the real Pre.

So I removed PBU from my Pre, rebooted, ran Preware, and found and installed PBU, rebooted and PBU worked as expected.

So finally I repeated all that without the reboots. Again, it worked!!

webOS Quick Install works also.

The only thing that I will add is that if you have compressed archives in your ppbackup folder, it will take PBU forever to start...and it will look like it isn't doing anything and that the service isn't running. but if you let it sit for awhile it gets to the main screen, eventually.

I am not sure what to say... I cannot reproduce. The only thing left that I could think of is that because of the errors that I had to fix, I took the feed down for about an hour [several days ago] and then uploaded a revised copy of the ipk. I think I did that twice, but that was more than 2 or 3 days ago.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
  5. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    So I removed PBU from my Pre, rebooted, ran Preware, and found and installed PBU, rebooted and PBU worked as expected.
    I have no clue what is/was wrong, today I opened Preware again, selected "complete list" (don't know the real wording, because on my Pre it's in german), entered "backup" and the "Pre Backup Utility, v1.6.6 - TNT Services" shows up.

For sure it was _not_ available yesterday, so I installed it via Quick Install.

I thought it was version 1.6.1 ("About" only says 1.6), but there is no update available and in "Systeminfos" - "Software" it says also v1.6.6, so I'm running the latest version too!
    I'm still wondering if the service needs to be installed separately? It is still listed in Preware, even after I installed Pre Backup Utility.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I am unable to reproduce the problems you guys are seeing...

I've wiped away my emulator several times and recreated it. then installed Preware and nothing else. then used preware to find and install PBU, and it works.

I've done the same in webOS Quick Install

So I began thinking maybe it's just in the real Pre.

So finally I repeated all that without the reboots. Again, it worked!!

webOS Quick Install works also.

The only thing that I will add is that if you have compressed archives in your ppbackup folder, it will take PBU forever to start...and it will look like it isn't doing anything and that the service isn't running. but if you let it sit for awhile it gets to the main screen, eventually.

I am not sure what to say... I cannot reproduce. The only thing left that I could think of is that because of the errors that I had to fix, I took the feed down for about an hour [several days ago] and then uploaded a revised copy of the ipk. I think I did that twice, but that was more than 2 or 3 days ago.

I can't explain it either... It still wasn't showing up under Preware, so I hit the link to it you gave: http://uploads.precentral.net/homebr...backup-utility and installed via Quick Install. Looks like its working now! No idea what's going on with Preware, but seems to be ok... I've got a backup running, I'll report back if it fails.
    Preware now shows that Pre Backup Utility v1.6.7 is available.
    I've installed it like 5 times today and it tells me that the service com.tntservices.prebkuservice is not running... I've tried removing and re-installing, from WSQI and from Preware, 1.6.1 and 1.6.7 and still get the same error...
    Is there a way download and install this service separately or is it only available bundled with the app???
    I need to do a backup before doctoring my phone and before the new update hits our phones!
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Njtroncoso View Post
    I've installed it like 5 times today and it tells me that the service com.tntservices.prebkuservice is not running... I've tried removing and re-installing, from WSQI and from Preware, 1.6.1 and 1.6.7 and still get the same error...
    Is there a way download and install this service separately or is it only available bundled with the app???
    I need to do a backup before doctoring my phone and before the new update hits our phones!
    Thanks!

Had you installed an older version first? I had installed a version from way back that had the service and app separate, and I had to go through a few cycles of uninstalling things via preware before it was really all gone. Until I did that, I was having the same problem you are.

Once I'd fully uninstalled the old one (you can use the app "upstart manager" to look for the service and make sure its gone), restart the device, and then do a fresh install. (I had to do my download and install via the web and WebOSQuickInstall, not Preware, which seemed not able to find it.)

Since doing that, I've been able to run it without problems. I haven't dared actually try using it to do a restore yet though...
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Everyone needs to completely remove version 1.6.6

restart their pre

verify PBU is uninstalled

then use Preware or webOS Quick Install to reinstall.

There is a known bug without a current resolution... Memos aren't being fully restored....The display text appears only when you've created a memo prior to a restore ... however the memo text is not appearing. Need to find where this is stored.

DrewPre -

A few questions for ya and a big thank you:

* What's the changelog for 1.6.7? Has the memo restore issue been fixed?

* It would be *great* to see some kind of status on the "Backup is Running" page - backups are taking a little over 30 minutes for me to run, which is an eternity in WebOS time. I was pretty tempted to write it off as failed and quit the app since there wasn't any feedback. Glad I waited! You prob don't want to show each file as its backed up, but even a brief description of what its doing at any one time would be nice. ("Memos... Phone settings... Photo Albums..." etc) Maybe and/or include a periodically-updated size of the backup file, so we could see it continuing to increase.

* What's the reasoning for not doing the import for tables that don't already exist? Especially if purchased apps don't create their tables until they've been run once -- its pretty non-obvious that users will need to run every app before performing a Restore, which is going to make for a lot of confused folks.

* Is there any chance of being able to break down an archive and restore only specific pieces? Since you can use the tar command to pull a specific file from a tar archive, as well as get a listing of an archive's files, it seems like this should be possible.

** I recognize that these are just Simple Matters of Programming, just like all of the features you've already put into this great app. Your time and effort is very much appreciated by all! I'd encourage everyone to give via paypal - I just dropped some cash your way. (And by the way, your paypal link isn't on quite all of your posts for some reason. You should add it to the first post in this thread!)

*** For folks who want to donate, there's a link on this post: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2493832 (I didn't even realize you'd had to convert the service to C++, and that was a new language for you too - well done!)

Good luck DrewPre - thanks again for all of your hard work!
    Having learned the mantra 'backup the backups of your backups" the hard way, I wanted to thank Drew for all his hard work on this App. He's very quick to respond to issues and has already saved my bacon once, so I voted with some $$.

Just suggesting!!

These guys have to eat too, and if you want quality apps, you should vote as well.
    Hey folks, question here: Does it happen to you too that after you do a back up and you save that back up in your PC, if you delete the file from your phone it continues to allocate that space in your usb portion of the phone??

I've made 2 backups, about 700MB each, and in order to save space on my phone I've deleted those after I've saved the .tar.gz files to my PC but none the less the Pre doesn't show that 1.4GB as available....even after deletion of the files my available space is 100MB instead of the expected 1.5GB..

Any ideas or explanation or light on the issue will be greatly appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Njtroncoso View Post
    Hey folks, question here: Does it happen to you too that after you do a back up and you save that back up in your PC, if you delete the file from your phone it continues to allocate that space in your usb portion of the phone??

I've made 2 backups, about 700MB each, and in order to save space on my phone I've deleted those after I've saved the .tar.gz files to my PC but none the less the Pre doesn't show that 1.4GB as available....even after deletion of the files my available space is 100MB instead of the expected 1.5GB..

Any ideas or explanation or light on the issue will be greatly appreciated!
    It might have been moved to a /.Trash/ folder??

That's why it's always good to "unmount" or "safely remove hardware" or whatever that bubble, icon thingy says.
    Is it necessary to turn off Palm backups before you use this? I tried it a few days ago and after watching the spinning wheel for 45 minutes or so I gave up. At that point the memory was filled as I kept getting the TMC error (which I almost never get otherwise). Not sure why it's taking so long to complete.
    No it's not necessary to turn off Palm backups. (That only runs once a day anyway)

As for this backup, on my Pre it takes 12 minutes to create a non-compressed 1.43 GB backup.

I did a second test where I started the backup and then placed it on a Touchstone to charge. The timestamp on that file was 30 minutes after I started the backup.
    I'm running UberKernel in screenstate mode.
    @drewpre

First off, let me apologize upfront that I have not read through all 22 pages of this thread to see if this has been talked about before...

Yesterday I saved all of my data on my Pre using your app, and then I did a Partial Erase, leaving the /media/internal/ partition unaltered. (I can go into the reasons why later if you want to know...) Anyways, after I reconnect to my Palm profile, entered the passwords for my Synergy accounts, and rebooted, I put my phone in Airplane Mode and connect it to my PC using WOSQI to install Pre Backup Utility. After I ran the restore, it looks as though my contacts are all screwed up. An example can be seen below...

It looks as thought the contact links were not restored properly. As you can see, the displayed name is not correct for the individual contact, but the actual contact data is correct.

Any thoughts as to why this might have happened? Is it because I did a Partial Erase as opposed to a full Doctoring? If there is something wrong with the backup tar, do you know what files I would remove from the tar to not have the contacts restored? Should I try this again with a different backup tar?

Some other good information:

Sprint Palm Pre
    webOS v1.4.1.1 Build 278
    Config Sprint 2.4
    Pre Backup Utility v1.6.7
    WOSQI v3.14

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I had ran Pre Backup Utility while in Dev Mode
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by coveredwagonkid; 07/11/2010 at 12:06 PM.
    you can also follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/coveredwagonkid
    Quote Originally Posted by John_ View Post
    No it's not necessary to turn off Palm backups. (That only runs once a day anyway)

As for this backup, on my Pre it takes 12 minutes to create a non-compressed 1.43 GB backup.

I did a second test where I started the backup and then placed it on a Touchstone to charge. The timestamp on that file was 30 minutes after I started the backup.
    I'm running UberKernel in screenstate mode.
    After setting up a complete backup, all I ever see is the "processing" line. It's now been sitting like that for 45 minutes.

I notice on Jstop Prebackup has 273 nodes and 1 handle.

Why is this taking so long? Badly need a spinning wheel or something to tell us what the status is. Additionally, when running it seems to provoke the TMC error. Not sure what the problem is.
    Last edited by davidra; 07/13/2010 at 01:49 PM.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Is it posiblle that the application no longer backs up the file PalmDatabase.db3?
    I made 3 backups and none of them has the file PalmDatabase.db3?????
    It was not working for me, so I removed it and the service. Now the utility is nowhere to be found in Preware. Is this in Preware or is it not? Why is it not showing on up on a search of everything? What feed is it in?
    Last edited by davidra; 07/14/2010 at 06:23 AM.