Page 21 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122232425 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_pre View Post
    It does look like from my understanding of preware and when apps appear in there, that it is related to the control, list and pnmanifest files, since the ones that were not showing up in Preware were not in the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/ directory, and when I would then install one from App catalog, it would then create those files, and therefore they would appear in Preware...
    The status file in that directory is the key file. It seems to be the one which is being corrupted, and it is the one which is regenerated by the ERU from the control files.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    The status files? You mean the SHA1 files? Are you saying that you can't simply tarball and the dump those files to/from that directory to backup and restore?

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Great App DrewPre. When I used it to restore from a trip to the Dr. it put everything back in place for the most part. But, all downloaded apps were just place holders on my phone. When tapping to open the app, it brought me to the apps down load page. Not sure why this happened.
    I noticed there was an update for the Backup Utility this morning, so I downloaded it and ran it. I just the Pre for more than a half hour and it was STILL going. That didn't seem normal so I closed it out. What changed in the updated version--and what do you suggest in term of that really long run time? I have not tried it again.

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    I noticed there was an update for the Backup Utility this morning, so I downloaded it and ran it. What changed in the updated version--and what do you suggest in term of that really long run time? I have not tried it again.

Thanks.
    Same here. Is there a Change Log anywhere to let us know what has changed with this application?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I'm gonna need some more information....have you guys tried restarting your phones and then restarting the app?

This update has the following main features and a few cosmetic updates as well....

1) As a function of incorporating the import/export of tables from all html5 database [Apps & Palm Database], I've removed the webOS version check which was buggy. PBU should work cross-version. Need to confirm this...hence....beta-testing.

2) The restore [import] of application tables to their respective databases happens if and only if the destination database exists. This means you're encouraged to enable and use the Palm Backup app. Allow it to make an additional redundant backup of your paid apps and you're encouraged to use them prior to running a Pre Backup Utility restore job so that their html5 databases will be created and archived database settings will then be restored when PBU is next run.

3) Since there was/is no intuitive way to load an external sql extension on a stock Pre, the collation_sequence LOAD_SECONDARY will be removed from approx 3 or 4 PalmDatabase tables when using Pre Backup Utility. Pre Backup Util touches about 11 tables in this DB, but only about 3 or 4 of them have this collation sequence loaded. All 11 tables and their views, triggers, and indexes are successfully backed up and then restored. The impact of this is unclear...hence ... beta testing.

4) Included the option to use compression [bzip2]. Disabled by default. But caution should be used here. Using compression SIGNIFICANTLY slows down the load process for Pre Backup Utility and the processing time for backup/restore jobs. If you wish to regain the speed and snappiness of PBU then you'll need to copy the archive files to your Host PC. [If you're gonna do that then why use compression in the first place...simply copy un-compressed archives to the virtually limitless space on your Host PC to start off with. Nevertheless the option is included.]

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Today is the day... Not sure what to say about the app not starting directly after install....but when it's just sitting there and not doing anything....that usually means the service [which is incorporated into the app and not a separate install] hasn't starrted. Usually a restart of the phone or of Java services with Luna Manager would fix this.

Anyway, I am being evicted today... don't know when[if] I'll be back on w/ access to me development environment.

Locate Pre....done!
    sorry to hear that man, I'd be willing to take a look at your code and see if I can help out with it....im pretty familiar with Linux & had my owna backups running nightly b4 I found your app...best of luck...mikePre
    Ok--doctored and did the restore. Got some stuff back (not much, really) but NOT my text messages....any ideas how to restore those?! Thanks....
    Hi,

I doctored my webos yesterday and made a restore through pre backup.
    I was a bit pushy and stopped the app catalog restoring the app in order to download and launch to pre backup.

I performed the restore from pre backup.
    But now, I have a problem some apps are actually appearing in the launcher but I'm unable to launch them.
    When, I tap the app icon in the launcher it brings me to the app catalog "My Apps".
    If I try to launch the app from the app catalog, it is the same thing.

The only solution that I found is to remove and reinstall the apps.
    Any ideas of how to solve that.

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeElmendorf View Post
    I noticed there was an update for the Backup Utility this morning, so I downloaded it and ran it. I just the Pre for more than a half hour and it was STILL going. That didn't seem normal so I closed it out. What changed in the updated version--and what do you suggest in term of that really long run time? I have not tried it again.

Thanks.
    I had the same issue as well. Once I finally stopped it, I noticed that there wasn't anything in the /media/internal/ppbackup directory, so it wasn't writing anything (unless it does its in-progress work somewhere else?) This also happened directly after a restart. For what its worth, Upstart Manager says that Com.Tntservices.Prebkuservice is running.

Shame too - I'd just gotten the version before that installed, working, and made a backup the day before the update.

I'm hoping to get this working again before the new OS update comes out. In case you aren't able to find a resolution by then, is there any way to back-level an app?

As an aside, very cool that you're pulling info directly out of the databases versus just copying the whole database! Do you have a breakdown anywhere that describes in more detail what each step does? I'm sure folks would feel happiest knowing exactly what their backup was doing.

Thanks again! I'll be hitting up the donation links for a few homebrew apps this weekend, and yours is one of the ones getting some love...

-T
    I have used this truly amazing app a number of times, and it has saved my hide! I am having a problem; don't know if it's related to the update.

When I restore from my previously created backup, everything seems to be properly restored and working, yet when I open Preware, it doesn't show any of the installed apps. I ran ERU (Emergency Reconstruction Utility) from preware, and it doesn't help. The odd thing is that the apps seem to work (didn't test all, but the ones that I tried worked). I even doctored the phone before installing just preware and pre backup utility with WOSQI, and then running the restore, and it didn't help.

If this is related to the recent update, is there anywhere that I can download the older version from?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    for those of you wanting to revert to the previous version I have attached it to this post.

Next, I've made revisions in the code for 1.6.6 to resolve issues with empty result sets being returned from sql queries associated with the browser, app settings [html5 apps], avatar files, and memos. Symptom was during a backup the progress bar would make it to 100% and then stall never making it to the confirmation screen. This was seen in freshly created emulators, webOS Doctored phones, replacement phones and partial and full erase phones with no apps and the browser was never opened. This has been fixed.

Also of note....after a fresh install it may take a little longer than most apps for the service to start. If you ope Pre BAckup Util and it stalls on the first LOADING screen .... this is because the service hasn't [finished] starting. Simply restart the app after 5 to 10 seconds.

As for the problems during restore... I will need more information... please continue to post updates. I am not sure how I will get back online just that someway I will eventually. In the meantime you have 1.6.1 [attached]. I would restore using 1.6.1 [it should handle the compression also] if it's anything other than a testing situation.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DrewPre; 07/01/2010 at 04:07 AM.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    > ecrecr, only just discovered this issue. I am not going to have consistent enough access to my Development environment to address this issue sufficiently. I suggest that you visit the Preware thread/forum as other users have had this problem and I suspect they are discussing it there and may have found a workaround, already. In either case 1.6.1 won't resolve that issue.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Everyone needs to completely remove version 1.6.6

restart their pre

verify PBU is uninstalled

then use Preware or webOS Quick Install to reinstall.

There is a known bug without a current resolution... Memos aren't being fully restored....The display text appears only when you've created a memo prior to a restore ... however the memo text is not appearing. Need to find where this is stored.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I just checked, and Pre Backup is no longer in the Preware feeds? Is that intentional? When will it be back?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    not by me.

I still see it as available here....

http://uploads.precentral.net/homebr...backup-utility

I was also able to view it, download it, and install it in Preware [under applications—> system utilities] and webOS Quick Install in my emulator.

Locate Pre....done!
    Hello!

I want to reset my Pre (with webOS Doctor) and before that I want to backup application settings etc.
    The latest version of Pre Backup Utility (1.6.6) doesn't work on my Pre, it stops to do anything when the process status bar is at the end, and I don't see any backup files.
    I downloaded the older version 1.6.1 you uploaded a few posts ago, it does its job, but when I want to decompress it with 7-zip on Windows or gunzip on Linux, it says that it wasn't a gzip-compressed archive.
    What can I do? Are there any logs?

Thank you!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    The logs are located in /tmp and are intuitively named. Easy to spot.

However, the symptoms your experiencing from 1.6.6 are of a previous version of of it. The 1.6.6 version that is currently located in the feed has resolved the issue you are describing. So remove the version of PBU you have currently installed, restart your Pre, confirm it's removed and then use Preware or webOS Quick Install to download and re-install. It should work.

Keep me posted.

In the next hour or so, I am going to be offline except via email.... drewp9 at yahoo

use it, if I can help you via email...if it's something I need to do on a PC then it may be a while before I get to that. I am going to be offline indefinitely... I think. We'll see.

Locate Pre....done!
    I deleted the app and then had to delete the service also. Now I also can't find either in Preware.