Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 101516171819202122232425 LastLast
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I'm glad you got it to work. Whew!!!

There were several reasons why I decided not to include media like audio, photos and videos. There's 8Gig and a couple of backups that include those and you're running out of space. Plus the backups and restore would take forever [battery life might become an issue]. So I thought it best to leave those alone for the short term especially since they could be manually copied over in USB mode. Plus the Music probably came over from the PC in the first place so a backup already existed there.

In the end it seems like there is a lot of work involved but most of it is for first time, one time setup. The actually time it takes to do all of this should be only a few minutes minus the actual backup/restore time.

But I am here for you if you need any further help. Again, I am glad it worked out for you.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    238 Global Posts
    uhm, just trying pre back up utility for 1st time (nice app by the way). Is it supposed to take a loooooooooong time first backup, or is something wrong?
    uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

so, the replacement phone verizon sent me that I got everything working perfectly on went to **** this morning. after my alarm went off I noticed it was really warm, but didn't think anything of it. then I noticed that texts and emails I was sending were getting errors, and when I tried to make a call, I noticed I had bars, but no "1x" or "3G" indicator and couldn't actually make or receive calls. I had to go down to KY for a meeting but the whole ride down I tried charging it, restarting it, taking battery out, etc, all to no avail. It got so hot I thought it was going to burn me.

when I got back to my house I ran a backup (didn't update webOS since I had just done that a couple days ago and figured not much had changed since then), and then went to verizon. they gave me a brand new phone (yay) and I went to restore that backup file when I got the warning that they are different versions of webOS.

WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF DO I DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    bjs - as far as I know (and have experienced) it should only take a minute or two.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Megan, proceed despite the warning. Worst case scenario you can get back to this point but Doctoring the phone.

Locate Pre....done!
    Firstly, may I thank you (over and above the "Thanks!" button) for your fine application! (Donated $20 via your PayPal button.) It saved me when another application decided to corrupt a note I'd made. Rule 1 of backups make them often. Rule 2: keep an archive of the old backups, as the corruption existed in the last two backups (no fault of your utility) but not in the rest....

A query: I note that you gzip the backups. Why not use bzip2? ie. "tar -cjf"? bzip2 usually offers far superior compression ratios compared to gzip. By way of comparison of the two ways of compressing a backup of my palm created by your utility, the gzipped variant is 128,820Kb, but bzip2'd is 59,711Kb. Less than half the size... Perhaps you might like to make the ability to select the compressor an option in your utility?
    Last edited by jmmcg; 06/16/2010 at 08:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    No I hadn't considered that... I guess I was more concerned with the app itself than to consideration of the best option for compression.

My question re: bzip is, "What's the cost?" Does it take longer to compress using bzip than gzip?

At some point during the processing of the backup something more than a simple spinner widget is needed to provide feedback to the user. At some point in time after the backup/restore job has been running for a while the user begins to wonder if the job is still running or if its hung or if it ever started anything at all.

So if bzip takes longer then I would definitely have to incorporate some status updates in addition to using bzip. But it's certainly worth consideration especially if the compression ratio is that good, we could include more data in the backups.

But anyway, I am very glad PBU worked for you. I don't get enough of the success stories so sometimes I wonder how good/bad the app really is.

Thank you for your donation. I am still struggling financially and your donation is not only timely, but very much appreciated.

Locate Pre....done!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    My question re: bzip is, "What's the cost?" Does it take longer to compress using bzip than gzip?
    My experience with bzip2 is, that the result is smaller 10-30%, but it takes more CPU to get this result

Code:
    Test-TarFile:  120 MB test0?.tar

$ time gzip -1 test01.tar 

real    0m3.050s
    user    0m2.960s
    sys     0m0.090s
    $ time gzip -9 test02.tar 

real    0m6.194s
    user    0m6.060s
    sys     0m0.140s
    $ time bzip2 -1 test03.tar 

real    0m20.699s
    user    0m20.490s
    sys     0m0.150s
    $ time bzip2 -9 test04.tar 

real    0m25.153s
    user    0m25.030s
    sys     0m0.080s

$ ll test0*
    -rw-r--r-- 1 asdfasdf asdfasdf 120309760 2010-06-16 21:04 test00.tar
    -rw-r--r-- 1 asdfasdf asdfasdf 59415406 2010-06-16 20:59 test01.tar.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 asdfasdf asdfasdf 57012364 2010-06-16 20:59 test02.tar.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 asdfasdf asdfasdf 56812438 2010-06-16 20:59 test03.tar.bz2
    -rw-r--r-- 1 asdfasdf asdfasdf 53810904 2010-06-16 20:59 test04.tar.bz2
    Tests done with a ram-disk so only CPU is counting and it used 100% of a core all the time.

result:
    gzip low compression | 3.0 seconds | 59.4 MB
    gzip high compression | 6.2 seconds | 57.0 MB
    bzip2 low compression | 20.7 seconds | 56.8 MB
    bzip2 high compression | 25.1 seconds | 53.8 MB
    I'd like to sync/copy the backup file
    • automatic - via detection of a wlan ssid
    • manual - with a sync button

A possible solution for the automatic sync would be to check with the background service if there is a configured wlan ssid and than copy it to a remote ssh/rsync server. A possibility for windows would be to copy it to a remote smb share, but on a clean webOS there I can't find a smb-mount.

On the other side I'm thinking about a small linux daemon which is checking a configured ip is reachable. In this case just do a scp/rsnyc of the backup files of PDU.

Let me know what you think about it.

Thx a lot for this app
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Just gotta say, for all those just trying for the first time (like me today), here is some big tips that took me 4 hours to figure out. And backup your regular phone files to your PC.

[Assuming that you have a backup file already created and copied to your PC]

• When you first sign in to a fresh phone, go ahead and log in to your Palm account so that you can USE the phone, but don't sign in to any other service.
    • As soon as you can, turn on Airplane Mode (turn off radio) to avoid it updating any of your info.
    • Grab the latest WebOS Doctor, WebOS Quick Install, and the file for Pre Backup Utility and have them on your desktop.
    • Use the Quick Install to install the backup program to the device. Be sure to continue to have the radio off.
    • Tap the notification area to go in to USB mode and move your backup file to the device.
    • (Windows) EJECT your device drive from within My Computer by right-clicking it and selecting Eject (using the USB manager is not a clean enough unmount for whatever reason)
    • RESTORE your data in the Pre Backup Utility, be sure to check that the dang radio didn't turn on again. It gets stuck in the toggle and may need to be switched twice if it is on still.
    • RESTART the device.

All should be well at this point. If there is a quicker method that I didn't see, feel free to use that, but I guarantee this will work most of the time.

Also: MAJOR FREAKING KUDOS to DrewPre for this needed and essential program.

I guess I am going to HAVE to donate now, since my bacon is not too crispy anymore. Thanks dude!
    Last edited by gbobman; 06/17/2010 at 09:28 AM.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Hi there
    I was just using the Pre Backup Utility the first time and wanted to check the archive file and its content on my PC, but the .tar.gz file would not open/extract with a "tar xzf".
    I quickly checked the sources in the webos-interal git and saw that the backup archive is actually created without being gzipped.
    The command used there is just a "tar cvf" and I really could extract the archive contents with "tar xvf".
    I have installed version 1.6.1 of the utility.
    So you might want to check this out and correct it.

Just a hint.

Keep up the good work!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Not sure what source files you're referring to....

but if you're talking about the Pre Backup Util Source files there....those are severely outdated.

If you're talking about the Gnu Tar source files I no longer use webos-internals GNU Tar, Im using tar - 1.17-r3 located in /bin/tar

finally, I have no problem whatsoever using WinRar 3.80 to open and extract files from these archives. Have done so literally hundreds of times. I have also used /bin/tar a few dozen times with the appropriate switches to manually extract/list the archive files created with PBU.

Thank you for the feed back ... maybe the additional information will help flesh out the incompatibility issue at some point.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Actually, lenggi, I had to double check. You are absolutely right. I thought I turned it back on when I modified the code for garbage collection but I guess I didn't... I will be incorporating bzip and monitoring performance .... No garauntees that'll I'll keep compression if the cost is just too high [e.g. length of backups/restores is too long]

Quote Originally Posted by skorpian View Post
    I'd like to sync/copy the backup file
    • automatic - via detection of a wlan ssid
    • manual - with a sync button

A possible solution for the automatic sync would be to check with the background service if there is a configured wlan ssid and than copy it to a remote ssh/rsync server. A possibility for windows would be to copy it to a remote smb share, but on a clean webOS there I can't find a smb-mount.

On the other side I'm thinking about a small linux daemon which is checking a configured ip is reachable. In this case just do a scp/rsnyc of the backup files of PDU.

Let me know what you think about it.

Thx a lot for this app

Yea, I thought of this also.... a script that ran every time eth0 came up and ping'd a fully qualified domain name or ip address and if found....sftp'd the file to the sever. This isn't a hard setup for *nix based host pcs but what protocol is inherent in windows for file transfers?

Locate Pre....done!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Yea, I thought of this also.... a script that ran every time eth0 came up and ping'd a fully qualified domain name or ip address and if found....sftp'd the file to the sever. This isn't a hard setup for *nix based host pcs but what protocol is inherent in windows for file transfers?
    I was thinking about something like a temp smb mount, but currently there is no smb mount on the linux and I haven't checked the filesystem support in the kernel. But even if these parts are ok. I don't like this way, it's so

On the other side, it's a solution for:
    Linux/BSD/MacOS

And you can install a sftp/ssh-server on the windows system, e.g. sshwindows.sf.net: OpenSSH for Windows

I know that the windows server ships also a ftp-server, but as far as I know not the desktop systems. Maybe anyone else has a good idea.
    I'm close to having worked up the nerve to doctor my phone (having a recurring, odd issue where it slows down a lot and sucks battery and then returns to its normal zippy self for no good reason). I really do NOT want to have to reconstruct everything or even much, though, as I have things how I want them.

I've read through all these posts, but still don't have a totally clear picture of what will be restored with this app and what will not. I miss the old Treo days where you pressed a button and everything came back.

I know I will have to manually copy photos and that's fine...but what about other things like:

Apps?
    Classic Apps?
    Ringtones?
    Settings and preferences?
    IM account info?

Maybe the better question to ask is what will this application NOT restore?

Thanks.
    Got a question that I hope someone will be able to assist me with...I used thee pre backup utility to restore a backup on a Partial Erase of my phone. I have close to 300 apps, and when I restored it, Preware is not recognizing the majority (100+) of the Palm Catalog apps that are installed on my Pre. Yet they are all there and launching fine. Trying to figure out why some are recognized and some are not after a restore.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Preware? Perhaps someone familiar with Preware [Rod] can shed some light how Preware looks for installed apps and why it would miss apps that are present and functioning.

Locate Pre....done!
    Been working with Rod with it as well....right now I have all but given up and I am removing apps manually and reinstalling, its painful but its working and I have spent a few days on this already....also tried to remove and reinstall preware too...
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Would be very interested in what you find.

It seems to me just from the top of my head that a partial erase would erase the control, list, and pmmanifest files located in /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/.

If I need to include these files with apps that are backed up, to help facilitate the proper co-existence with Preware, I'll need to know. I am working on an update right now and can incorporate that relatively easily. But would like to confirm that's the issue first.

Locate Pre....done!
    It does look like from my understanding of preware and when apps appear in there, that it is related to the control, list and pnmanifest files, since the ones that were not showing up in Preware were not in the /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/ directory, and when I would then install one from App catalog, it would then create those files, and therefore they would appear in Preware...