Page 18 of 25 FirstFirst ... 81314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Ok I replaced my Pre (again) because I'd dropped it so many times the only way I could even turn it on is to plug in the USB and slide the keyboard.

HELP!!

So this is what I did..

I made three backups using this utility.
    1. Phone
    2. Browser Data
    3. Applications

I setup the new handset , reinstalled Preware, reinstalled Pre Backup Utility and then restored each of the backups in the order they were taken...

I have two contacts for each person in my address book. When I click one, the card briefly appears with just the person's name on it and then it disappears. I have phone logs that do not link to a contact. My chat messages are missing completely empty and I have no online or offline buddies.

HELP!!! Pleeeese :/
    I've been able to get this to work, but later when I run the app it said that the service was not running. I deleted and re-installed, and got it to work once again. Now once more, a few days later, the app is giving me the same message about the service not running.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    I've been able to get this to work, but later when I run the app it said that the service was not running. I deleted and re-installed, and got it to work once again. Now once more, a few days later, the app is giving me the same message about the service not running.
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one! I haven't tried digging into this for a solution... Anyone have any ideas?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    The same thing is ocurring to me as well. I suspect it's mobile hotspot in my case causing a problem. Still researching this...

I have luna manager installed though and restarting java services fixes the problem....no need to remove and reinstall the apps tho.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Anashti, start from scratch....

1) Doctor the phone.[make sure your backups are on your host PC and secure]

2) Then after the doctor completes restart and log into your profile.

3) recreate all your profile accounts. [yahoo, facebook, gmail, etc]

4) restore Phone data

5) Restart Pre and verify contacts, texts, tasks, memos etc.

6) If it's okay, then restore Browser data

7) restart the Pre and verify Browser data.

8) if it's okay then restore applications and restart. and verify applications.

If it fails again ....return here and tell me where exactly it failed.

Quote Originally Posted by Anashti View Post
    Ok I replaced my Pre (again) because I'd dropped it so many times the only way I could even turn it on is to plug in the USB and slide the keyboard.

HELP!!

So this is what I did..

I made three backups using this utility.
    1. Phone
    2. Browser Data
    3. Applications

I setup the new handset , reinstalled Preware, reinstalled Pre Backup Utility and then restored each of the backups in the order they were taken...

I have two contacts for each person in my address book. When I click one, the card briefly appears with just the person's name on it and then it disappears. I have phone logs that do not link to a contact. My chat messages are missing completely empty and I have no online or offline buddies.

HELP!!! Pleeeese :/

Locate Pre....done!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    The same thing is ocurring to me as well. I suspect it's mobile hotspot in my case causing a problem. Still researching this...

I have luna manager installed though and restarting java services fixes the problem....no need to remove and reinstall the apps tho.
    OK, I'll try restarting java services if this happens again.

I don't use mobile hotspot, but what about potential conflicts with Mytether service or Upstart Manager, OpenSSH, etc.??
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    It's possible. I had one user tell me that he connected his Pre to his Host PC via novacom in order to check for the existence of some files via command line....the files were there.... and when he disconnected .... the service was running again and was able to perform a backup/restore. He hadn't changed anything.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I'm sorry DrewPre..

You're right in that I have to start over. :/ The replacement Pre came with 1.3.5.1 and although I DR'd it (I bought it on ebay). It's still at 1.3.5.1

My backups are from 1.4.1.1. So I scrapped my current DR jar and re-downloaded it hoping it's the 1.4.1.1 version. Gonna DR again now. I'll let you know...

Thanks!

Feature Request!! Is there anyway you can save the OS version in the backup metadata or something (not sure if I'm saying this right) Something like run a script that outputs the version to a text file that you save somewhere in the tar. On Restore, Untar and compare this text file content to the results of another script as the first action of restore. Throw a warning/confirmation if they are different.
    I'm not sure any of that is possible. Just a thought

Anashti, start from scratch....

1) Doctor the phone.[make sure your backups are on your host PC and secure]

2) Then after the doctor completes restart and log into your profile.

3) recreate all your profile accounts. [yahoo, facebook, gmail, etc]

4) restore Phone data

5) Restart Pre and verify contacts, texts, tasks, memos etc.

6) If it's okay, then restore Browser data

7) restart the Pre and verify Browser data.

8) if it's okay then restore applications and restart. and verify applications.

If it fails again ....return here and tell me where exactly it failed.
    ******Disclaimer*******
    I'm a Dvorak typist using
    a QWERTY thumb board.
    Typoes? Oh Yeah
    Thanks, DrewPre, this is a great thing. (Although I haven't had to restore anything yet. I've only once had to do a total erase, a long time ago.) Are web page launcher items saved also? What is NOT saved?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Anashti, that was my intent in the next major upgrade of the app. Just going to incorporate the webOS version into the backup job's label. But it would also require a scheme update to the database. Time doesn't permit right now...and I know this is a shameless plug but quite frankly... I am struggling financially and am not earning enough to justify spending more than just spare time if I get spare time on this.

Dr.Grace, I have to tell you the very first time I tested the bookmarks backup on a real Pre, it worked....but the last time I tested it was in an emulator and it didn't. I would love to hear if someone has had success or failure with this. It wasn't critical enough for me to invest more time prior to release.

If you wanna test it, try creating a Browser Bookmark and perform a backup then delete the Bookmark and perform a restore...see if the bookmark you just deleted, returns.

Locate Pre....done!
    When I tried to run the backup utility, it told me that the backup service was not installed. However, I see in preware that it is installed so I tried to uninstall, so that I can reinstall. However, it will not uninstall, it just spins and says removing.
    After doctoring my phone and running the restore of my applications my TeleNav is not working right at all.
    When I search it says it can't connect to the server.
    When I try to just put in an address it just fails.
    Any Ideas?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Pre Backup shouldn't affect Stock apps in that way.

I received that kinda message when it was stormy the other day. Couldn't connect to the server and gps wasn't resolving my position.

If it's storming then wait till it clears up. If not then make sure GPS is turned on.

In the end, The backup only restores the database file for these types of apps...If that file is corrupted the app will automatically recreate it if needed...you'll lose saved addresses in this scenario.

Locate Pre....done!
    Pre Backup shouldn't affect Stock apps in that way.

I received that kinda message when it was stormy the other day. Couldn't connect to the server and gps wasn't resolving my position.

If it's storming then wait till it clears up. If not then make sure GPS is turned on.

In the end, The backup only restores the database file for these types of apps...If that file is corrupted the app will automatically recreate it if needed...you'll lose saved addresses in this scenario.
    It's been Clear every time I've tried it, and it's been acting like this consitantly for days now cence doing restore.

I only had 1 saved address, so I don't mind that at all.
    Know of a way to force it so I don't have to Doctor again?

FYI- I get this error:
    "The Navigation service is not initialized yet, please quit current session and retry!"
    It keeps poping up over and over rather quickly till I quit.
    Last edited by shock_terminal; 05/19/2010 at 09:07 AM.
    Hey DrewPre. I see there's a new version of this utility out today. Any insights into the change log for us...

Also, I'm now using your utility (for all but Apps and App data...) in conjuction with Preware's "Saved Packages" list, the Save/Restore Utility, and of course Palm Profile application's backup. I noticed your instructions above to Anashti for how to proceed through a restore.... but three basic questions for you...

1. Can you explain what's backed up by the "Apps and App Settings" options?

2. Do you use any of the above tools / utilities for restoring App Cat Apps, HB Apps, Patches (and their associated databases and settings)?

3. What would you believe would be the appropriate restore sequence using the right mix of tools to get the most robust backup?

Right now, my Pre is just working so well, I can't get myself to volunteer as a guinea pig to test out a restore!!! That said, it's clear you have spent a lot of effort to make this utility and it's looking really good. I'll be donating after payday at the end of the month.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    1) cookies and html 5 dbs.

2.) no, it's a straight tar of /var/palm/data and /media/internal/.app-storage. The former has the cookies database file and the databases.db file which has the full path and filename of all application databases. The apps themselves are a tar of /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications... excluding patches and various other webos-internals apps.

If you're using Palm backup, then when you log into your Palm profile prior to a restore ... your apps will be automatically reinstalled and their databases and cookies will be setup at that time. The filenames and cookies will more than likely be different that what is in your backup. In otherwords you'll lose application settings.

The workaround is to turn Palm Profile backup completely "OFF"! Let it delete all backups it sends to the cloud. [You lose settings and data with Palm Backup anyway.] Then perform a backup with Pre Backup Utility. That way your applications and settings in the backup will be in tact after you preform a restore.

3.) I don't know enough about Save/Restore to advise on it's use. However with Palm Backup and Pre Backup Util...The above considerations should work for you.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I hate to bring this up. It's really very humbling to be in the situation that I find myself in. My pride tells me not to do this. But it doesn't make sense to hold onto my pride ...and not ask for help.....when I stand to lose everything else.

In short, last December I lost my home to foreclosure. Now, I am being evicted from my apartment complex. My grandmother is on her death bed and I just received a letter from the DMV that my license will be suspended June 1st because of an unpaid ticket from Oct. 2003. Things are piling up and it's become overwhelming.

I have been unemployed for a while and have unsuccessfully searched for a job in my field [Systems Administration]. So I have applied for other jobs including positions with Home Depot and Walmart but they are slow to respond. Also my unemployment benefits have been exhausted. I am short of the rent by $200. I need another $200 for the ticket. Obviously the ticket is secondary to keeping a roof over my head.

I stand to lose everything. So I am humbling asking for any assistance from the community. Anything you can help me with...whatever donation you can afford....would be very helpful. Again, I hate that I let it come to this. I don't ask for help unless I really need it. But again, what sense does it make to hold on to my pride and not ask for help, if I end up losing everything else?

So again, any amount you could help with would be appreciated.

In humble service,
    Drew

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Come on people, this guy deserves the help.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Thanks Gbobman, I need the support. It's appreciated.

Locate Pre....done!
    If you can figure out what happened to my Nav App and a way to fix it w/o having to do another Doctor I'd donate at least $50