Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    we'll on the earlier versions of the backup utility, I was using Tar from coreutils by running 'ipkg-opt install coreutils'

Then I used the one in the webos-internals feed.

then I found the tar on the filesystem that come stock with webOS. Not sure why I didn't notice this version initially.

Other than that tho, the switches/parameters are all the same.
    The full GNU Tar (as opposed to the busybox Tar) only appeared in recent webOS versions.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Rod, any clue why the full one in recent versions would create a file that can be read by winrar, but not 7zip? Where as when he used the one from the internals feed can be read by 7zip?

Find it very strange. I thought a tar.gz file was a tar.gz file
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    so by installing this does this mean if/when my pre resets itself back to factory settings, and i run the backup, then run this backup service, my games info wont be lost? or does it depend on how the game saves my stats?
    Just saw this is in Preware now. Very exciting! Going to install it now. I'm mostly concerned about being able to backup my text messages (SMS), etc. DrewPre, what you've done with this is amazing. You should be the poster child for webOS development, simply because of what you've accomplished in light of how little you knew about this type of programming back when you began.

/Kevin
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jluly View Post
    so by installing this does this mean if/when my pre resets itself back to factory settings, and i run the backup, then run this backup service, my games info wont be lost? or does it depend on how the game saves my stats?
    Some settings will be retained for some applications. The problem is that there is a file called Database.db that has information on all other databases and their locations. Databases that the various apps use. My backup/restore utility has had mixed results with backing up and restoring this file. Sometimes it has caused the Pre to reboot to the FirstUse app, prompting the user to setup their profile all over again. Which subsequently causes the PalmDatabase.db3 file to be abandoned in favor of a new one, which of course results in the loss of all of the txt, call log, tasks, memos, etc.

Just a couple of other notes, .... I included the file text-edit-autoreplace so if you have custom autoreplace words, they won't be lost. But I deliberately excluded, mp3s. I figured if you were using iTunes or similar app, then you prolly already had the music on your Host pc and re-syncing them after a webOS doctor is easy enough. Also excluded them because archive jobs would quickly grow to much large than 1GB. Obvious space issues come into play then and I have now error handling in the backup app for that.

Quote Originally Posted by commonplace View Post
    Just saw this is in Preware now. Very exciting! Going to install it now. I'm mostly concerned about being able to backup my text messages (SMS), etc. DrewPre, what you've done with this is amazing. You should be the poster child for webOS development, simply because of what you've accomplished in light of how little you knew about this type of programming back when you began.

/Kevin
    Thanks for your kind words. I would have had it out sooner but the largest backup/archive I could do reliably was about 65MB. Larger than that caused the app to appear as though it was hanging. The service was returning the signal that it had completed but the App wasn't getting that signal. Rod W. mentioned something about garbage collection a few posts up and some research revealed the difference between using this.controller.serviceRequest and Mojo.Service.Request....another more complicated and more elegant solution was found but for what I needed this.controller.serviceRequest was sufficient.

Implementing that change, I have created a backup job that was over 800MBs... it took about 10 mins to complete....so I am going to have to figure out a way to provide users with more eye candy letting them know where in the backup process the current job is, ... so a user can know if it's hung or if it's almost done.

This was my first attempt at a webOS app. Like you said, I didn't know jack sh-- and a look at the code will revealed this. Locate Pre is my sophomore attempt and reviewing the code from that and comparing it to this, one can see that I understand a lot more than I did when I wrote the Pre Backup Utility. I owe that to ppl like RodW and JasonR

Before you ask, Locate Pre is an app that will use Dynamic DNS and Lighttpd web server to render a web page with a google map of depicting your location. For example you will be able to go to http://johndoe.dyndns.org and view a google map of wherever John Doe is. Of course you will be able to turn it on and off at will. It uses ez-ipupdate, lighttpd, your Pre's GPS and a Dynamic DNS account from any of 5 or 6 service providers. It's at a standstill right now because I need a php-plugin also. This is a problem for me because I have to create a Makefile. I suspect that has something to do with C programming language. Do I need to mention that I don't know C? heh!

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    I don't know too terribly much about programming, but I do believe that C is just about the greatest language ever created. It's just so much more direct. It's very dry structure, which does exactly what you want to do. Can't beat it.

C is the first programming language that kids should learn... and they should learn it in the 9th grade or so, maybe even sooner.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I have a folder on my pre /mnt/webosbackup that actually lives on my Mac (using Samba). Can I set the directory where my backup file resides?
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Currently the Pre Backup Utility is hardcoded to look in /media/internal/ppbackup

I suppose what you're trying to do would work if you could somehow mount /media/internal/ppbackup to /mnt/webosbackup

Also, I have attached the Latest-Greatest version of the app to this post! It may be unavailable for short while on Preware's PreCentral feed.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by DrewPre; 04/30/2010 at 05:46 AM.

Locate Pre....done!
    I was wondering does this program work if i had to get a new palm pre will it reinstall my stuff on the new phone I am speaking in refrence to the backup utility and service. could someone please answerme directly. THanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    The short answer is yes.

Provided the version of webOS on both phones match.

For example, if the version of webOS that you created a backup of is 1.4 and the new phone has webOS version 1.4 then yes, once you login to your profile and recreate your accounts you will be able to restore your backup to the new phone.

If the webOS versions don't match then you'd have to doctor the new phone using an older version of webOS Doctor. Specifically, a webOS Doctor that match the version from the backup you created. Then after restoring the backup you'd upgrade webOS to the current version.

Locate Pre....done!
    The short answer is yes.

Provided the version of webOS on both phones match.

If the webOS versions don't match then you'd have to doctor the new phone using an older version of webOS Doctor. Specifically, a webOS Doctor that match the version from the backup you created. Then after restoring the backup you'd upgrade webOS to the current version.
    People will need to be saving their old Doctors, because all Doctors, other than the current release, are no longer being hosted by Palm.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I guess you're right. I have all my doctors all the way back to 1.2... Storage space isn't expensive....so I guess I thought everyone did this...why delete something unless you need the space.....anyway, I guess the better solution would be to just make sure that you update your Pre to the most recent version of webOS and then take a backup .....then turn it in for the replacement Pre and make sure the replacement has the most recent version of webOS also and then restore from that backup.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Is this app supposed to be available in Preware? I don't see it there. Or do I have to add a feed?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I made a minor change to it and I think it has to go through the approval process again.

I've attached it to a post above tho. You can use WebOS Quick Install to install it.

Locate Pre....done!
    I installed it and I'm wondering if this will also backup my homebrew apps...like Hot mobile Spot, My Tether, Classic Note, Battery Monitor and such... when it says "BackUp Applications", what does it mean really? If I Dr my phone and run this app and choose restore, will it re-install all the apps (homebrew and official ones) back on my phone?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    It will NOT backup/restore services or patches.

It WILL backup/restore homebrew and Palm-Catalog apps.

The settings from those apps will be lost except in some rare cases.

If an app requires a service, this service will have to be reinstalled maunally via Preware or WebOS QI.

So will Mobile Hotspot be restored? Yes, but will it work?? I am inclined to say no, because my understanding is that MHS has modified files in various other locations other than /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot

Another example... Preware will be restored but since the package manger service wasn't backed up, it consequently will not be restored so it will need to be re-installed via WebOS QuickInstall before Preware will work.
    Last edited by DrewPre; 05/01/2010 at 04:41 PM.

Locate Pre....done!
    So how long is a backup supposed to take. I check all four boxes and yhe program has been running for about an hour and it still says "Backup is running...Please be patient while the Pre Backup Utility processes files..." Is this normal? If I exit the program...will it mess-up my phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by aairman23 View Post
    So how long is a backup supposed to take. I check all four boxes and yhe program has been running for about an hour and it still says "Backup is running...Please be patient while the Pre Backup Utility processes files..." Is this normal? If I exit the program...will it mess-up my phone?
    My question is the same but it refers to "Restore" rather than "Backup"... the program has been "restoring" for over an hour now... Should I keep waiting? Will it mess-up my phone if I quit the program?

So far I can see that it has restored my text messages and my call history after running webos dr. ...some apps have been restored but some others are missing... Keep waiting? For how long?

Thanks!
    Currently the Pre Backup Utility is hardcoded to look in /media/internal/ppbackup

I suppose what you're trying to do would work if you could somehow mount /media/internal/ppbackup to /mnt/webosbackup
    'ln -s /mnt/webosbackup /media/internal/ppbackup' might work, if not then try something like 'ln -s /mnt/webosbackup/ppbackup /media/internal/ppbackup'
    -Joshua
    I've decided to become enigmatic.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    backups or restores shouldn't take longer than 15-20 minutes. That's the worst case scenario! I did a backup of around 500Mb and it took 10 minutes. Truth is that I am not sure how long it would take for 1Gb or more to backup. But I can be pretty sure that it won't take an hour.

If you've waited an hour and the process didn't finish properly, then chances are the backup/restore completed but the front end app just didn't update properly to give you the final 'complete' screen.

if you have shell access, you can run 'ps -ef' and look for any processes called TAR or ppbkuScript

If none are listed then the process has completed.

If all the apps weren't restored then the ones that weren't restored are more than likely not located in the standard default path for Pre Applications....

i.e.

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications

and

/var/palm/data

but don't forget to reboot when you're done restoring.

Locate Pre....done!