Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 61112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    DrewPre,

do you mind commenting on a thread i created under webos internals forums. I was hoping that they would be helpful but i was wrong. Basically im in the same boat you were when you first started. I have and app made in ares, so the GUI is all ready to go. I want to call a script. Apparently you need a service running to do that. Could you explain how to get that going in the thread below. Read what i wrote in the OP first becasue i think i captured 90% of what to do. You have the last 10% in your head. Hopefully new pre programmers will look at the thread i created when they get started with hombrew so they dont get so frustrated as you and i have been.

thanks for your help,

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...standards.html
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Boy, I had to really dig deep to find this thread..... Anyway, I had to take a hiatus last Thanksgiving for several reason most of them personal.

But I am back now and so is the Palm Pre Backup Utility.

First and foremost it is no longer dependant on GNU Tar or any other 3rd party service or util. It's updated and confirmed to work on webOS 1.4. It's still not advised to backup/restore from one version of webOS to another though.

However, there have been major enhancements and to tell you the truth I did my best to try and break it, but couldn't. Most of the displeasure I have with it is with the way the UI renders the dynamic text that are the descriptions of the backup archives and whatnot. cosmetic. Next version I'll use Ares.

But I present the Palm Pre Backup Utility .... [trumpets sound in the background!, HAHA]

Be gentle guys... remember, last August I knew absolutely NO java or javascript.

Anyway, as for the app... it will now test for the existence of a previous Backup Utility install [sorry, not previous to this version]. If the directory /media/internals/ppbackup exists and contains archives, that app will read the labels and populate the database with the contents of that directory. Renaming archives, modifying their labels, deleting them from the commandline, or adding new archives to this directory from the command line or sftp, are all accounted for when the app is opened and everytime the 'main' scene is opened [watch for the lag there ]. It's database is updated accordingly. This is nice when you've just doctored your phone and re-installed PPBU. A popup is generated for archives without labels [or incorrectly formatted labels] as importing archives not created by PPBU is unsupported.

- The file picker has also been updated to import files and their labels that dont exist in the working directory. Just as long as they have properly formatted labels.

I have left the backing up of multimedia and applications for an add-on down the road. right now the app has a large resource footprint. Don't need to start including multimedia and apps just yet. But i have left that door open to use down the road. Maybe even system files also like dnsmasq, profile.custom, PmNetConfigManager... those would't be too hard to include..... half dozen lines of code...who knows....

Anyway, If you want to try it out and give it a whirl, I have attached both IPKs to this post. You'll have to use webOS Quick Install to install them. Enjoy.

Many Thanks to Rod W. Jason R. and Number1Pete as well as a few others from the original thread where I was messin around with the PalmDatabase file.

So I hope you all enjoy!
    Last edited by DrewPre; 04/30/2010 at 05:32 AM.

Palm Pre Backup Utility...done!
    Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Will try this out sometime soon.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    updated the files above...both ipks are available for eaiser installation via webosqi, now.

if you install simultaneously just keep an eye on your internet connection beausse Java services are restarted...when the internet service is back up so is jave and startign the app at that point shoudl be safe.

Doing so before the restart will not damage anything you'lll just generate an error message .... which is as designed/expected.
    Last edited by DrewPre; 03/23/2010 at 07:52 AM.

Locate Pre....done!
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    A mechanism that allowed a webOS app to run any shell command it wanted to would be a HUGE security hole.
    You need to write a service which does exactly and only what you need it to do, and carefully review it so that it doesn't open up any security vulnerabilities.
    See git.webos-internals.org for example services.

-- Rod
    that was poor design on palm's part. If apps running under luna ran as a nonprivileged user, rather than root, they could give us the ability to safely run any shell script we care to. This would make it a lot easier to write tools that simply query the system, for example. It also puts trust in the system itself rather than having to trust 3rd party developers to properly write and secure their services, which are all running as root (!)
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Hmm. So here's an interesting thing - the Pre won't let me delete the older version I have (Palm Pre Backup v1.0.1124). If I choose "List Applications" from the launcher, it shows the app in the "Built-In Applications" section. Anyone else having this problem? How do I delete it? Trying to install the new version via Quick Install isn't having any effect, and I'm guessing this is part of the reason why...
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    In that scenario, I think you'd have to ssh to your pre and prune the app's directory usig 'rm -rf /path/to/app/directory'

once done you should be able to 'stop LunaSysMgr && start LunaSysMgr' and that version of the app will be gone.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Ah - yep. Had to do it in a few steps:

root@palm-webos-device:/tmp# ipkg-opt list_installed | grep tnt
    com.tntservices.palmprebackup - 1.0.1124 -
    com.tntservices.ppbkuservice - 0.3.0 -

So, ipkg-opt knows about it... Remove that way first:
    ipkg-opt remove com.tntservices.palmprebackup
    ipkg-opt remove com.tntservices.ppbkuservice

Then some files were left, so delete via brute-force:
    rm -fr /usr/palm/applications/com.tntservices*

Restart Luna:
    stop LunaSysMgr && start LunaSysMgr

And voila! Gone from the system.

Unfortunately, now after using quick install on your ipks above... the backup app is saying the service isn't running, even after a full device restart. I installed both in the same shot under quick install.

Anyone else having this problem?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    First of all, if your service files is, com.tntservices.ppbkuservice - 0.3.0 ... then that is a major problem. That is not the service I made available. The latest version should be 0.2.0316. I am gonna assume that for the ease of making this post, you guesstimated the version number or that it was simply a typo. But if it isn't either, then that's your problem. You have the wrong service. I double checked and the right service is in the archive in the above post.

Anyway, it shouldn't matter that you installed them both at once, but in all honesty, I never did it that way... I always installed them one at a time. The service first.

So try uninstalling them, and then re-installing them one at a time. Like I said, it shouldn't make a difference but lets just eliminate that possible problem from all consideration anyway.

Then, once reinstalled, retry Palm Backup... if it's still a no go ... then make sure you have the following files in the following locations. These are the service files.

Code:
    /etc/event.d/com.tntservices.ppbkuservice
    /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.tntservices.ppbkuservice.service
    /usr/lib/luna/java/PPBkuService.jar
    Once you've verified that, issue the following command....

Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/status {}
    You should get the following message...
    Code:
    If this is not the response you're getting....but you're getting an error about the service not running then try this command....

Code:
    stop com.tntservices.ppbkuservice && start com.tntservices.ppbkuservice
    then, re-issue the command...

Code:
    luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/status {}
    If it's still a no-go, then issue the command below and report the results here....

Code:
    /usr/bin/luna-helper 'luna://com.palm.vm/launch' '{"serviceName":"com.tntservices.ppbkuservice","className":"com.tntservices.ppbkuservice.PPBkuService"}'

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Ok - turns out I tried reinstalling an older version (at some point in the past someone, rwhitby maybe, made a small update and released with a newer version #). I was able to manually uninstall by adding -o /usr/palm/applications/ to the ipkg command.

After reinstalling, now all is well with the service. The app starts, I can start a backup, but it seems to hang somewhere in the middle. Its been running for about an hour, and the last update to the output .gz file was made about 45 min ago. I tried gunzipping for the heck of it, but gunzip returns "gunzip: invalid magic".

Closer!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    (Edit: I tried again, and this time it worked fine. Or said it did, anyway - gunzip still returns an "invalid magic" error when I try to gunzip the thing...)
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Yea, it does that sometimes. It appears to hang..... but in all actuality the back-end service completes successfully. Somehow I haven't figured out how to get service calls to wait for the service to finish.... if the service doesn't finish in X seconds...then the UI will hang or just sit there waiting for the next instruction. But the service finished it's process in X+1 seconds or longer and returns the signal to fire off the call back, but the UI doesn't seem to get it and just sits there. But this doesn't happen every time. At least not with me.

But my experience with the tar.gz is that they're very valid. No bad magic on my end....

From the Commandline, you can run /bin/tar -xzvf /media/internal/ppbackup/ppbku_1.tar.gz

and that will extract the archive. The Z option handles the gzip compression. You don't need to use gunzip!

Locate Pre....done!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Yea, it does that sometimes. It appears to hang..... but in all actuality the back-end service completes successfully. Somehow I haven't figured out how to get service calls to wait for the service to finish.... if the service doesn't finish in X seconds...then the UI will hang or just sit there waiting for the next instruction. But the service finished it's process in X+1 seconds or longer and returns the signal to fire off the call back, but the UI doesn't seem to get it and just sits there. But this doesn't happen every time. At least not with me.
    This is a consequence of the service method handle being garbage collected. Preware was affected by the is the transition from webOS 1.3.5 to 1.4.0 ...

Drop me a line with the latest packages and I might be able to help adjust the mojo code to stop the garbage collection of that reference to the service method invocation.

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I wondered how Preware handled that with all of the feeds that it had to wait for updates from..... Just finished another app ...that ... as a 'sanity check' ....it checks for internet connection by performing a 'wget -s Google'

it suffers the same problem.

The app dies waiting for a response from the services.

Will drop you a line later today! Have a good one! :0[P

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    There's a 0.3.0 in Preware for the Backup Utility Service. Is that correct, or is that the old version that I ran afoul of when trying to install the 0.2.0316 version?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    That's not mine! I don't think mine is in Preware! Wouldn't mind if it was, but just .... well ... I am not sure what exactly I have to do to get it there.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    anybody know what utility on windows can open the tar.gz file? 7zip should be able to, but it doesn't like the archive file.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    WinRAR by Rarsoft has always worked for me. Even on cab files.

Locate Pre....done!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Strange that Winrar will open it, but 7zip will not. I should mention that the much earlier version 7zip opens it just fine, but with this version it will not. I can't afford to buy winrar right now. What changed on the compression side on the pre?
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    we'll on the earlier versions of the backup utility, I was using Tar from coreutils by running 'ipkg-opt install coreutils'

Then I used the one in the webos-internals feed.

then I found the tar on the filesystem that come stock with webOS. Not sure why I didn't notice this version initially.

Other than that tho, the switches/parameters are all the same.

Locate Pre....done!