Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    On Drew's behalf, I've fixed the installation packages to use /media/cryptofs/apps instead of /var. Look for ppbkuservice 0.2.0

-- Rod
    I don't see it anywhere.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Look for ppbkuservice 0.2.0
    I don't see it either. Last version I see is 0.1.1124
    Dave Cook | Fort Myers, Florida | Palm pre | Touchstone | Vaja iVolution Deco
    Quote Originally Posted by jwdesselle View Post
    I don't see it anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooknn View Post
    I don't see it either. Last version I see is 0.1.1124
    Take a look now. It went into the wrong feed by mistake, but has been fixed now.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Rod - thanks for making the update! The links are all correct now, but it looks like something else is wrong - the jar file is 0 size on my Pre after running the install:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Feb 11 16:10 /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/luna/java/com.tntservices.ppbkuservice.jar

If I had to guess, I'd say something wasn't happening correctly to stop/delete the old service before installing the new...

EDIT:
    I ran the install a second time via QuickInstall, and this time it looks like all is well...
    Last edited by tcurtin; 02/12/2010 at 12:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Can you please assist as to how I would install the ipk's from the command line? I'm root on my Pre in /media/internal where I have two files:

com.tntservices.ppbkuservice_0.2.0_all.ipk
    com.tntservices.palmprebackup_1.0.1124_all.ipk

I tried ipkg -o install com.tntservices.ppbkuservice_0.2.0_all.ipk but I get an "unknown sub-command" error.

Thanks in advance.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Rather than command line, you could also use PreWare via the instructions found here:
    Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    I installed the service and then the backup application and it executes fine (I installed GNU Tar prior to either of the packages above). When I backup it says it's creating a .gz file in media/internal but it doesn't. It also executed very fast. Secondly, I was unable to select Multimedia. Just thought I'd throw out some more feedback. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is exactly what I was hoping for
    I've pushed version 0.3.0 which no longer requires GNU Tar (since /bin/tar since webOS 1.3.5 is now GNU Tar).

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    I installed the service and then the backup application and it executes fine (I installed GNU Tar prior to either of the packages above). When I backup it says it's creating a .gz file in media/internal but it doesn't. It also executed very fast. Secondly, I was unable to select Multimedia. Just thought I'd throw out some more feedback. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! This is exactly what I was hoping for

Unfortunately, if the backup executes very quickly, its not actually executing at all. In my case, reinstalling via QuickInstall fixed the problem. Or, see above to add the Testing feeds to PreWare and get it installed that way. Failing that, see my post on the previous page for things to look at, but you'll need to be rooted and at least a little bit unix-savvy to understand what's going on...
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    Unfortunately, if the backup executes very quickly, its not actually executing at all. In my case, reinstalling via QuickInstall fixed the problem. Or, see above to add the Testing feeds to PreWare and get it installed that way. Failing that, see my post on the previous page for things to look at, but you'll need to be rooted and at least a little bit unix-savvy to understand what's going on...
    I installed via Preware Feeds. Decided to uninstall until it's ready for prime time. Upon reboot my phone was not logged into my Palm profile and it had to redownload all of my applications and resynch with Google and Facebook. Preware is no longer in my app's, and neither are any homebrew applications. Hah. I didn't take that warning very seriously. How could an application that uses tar mess up my phone... I was an AIX admin for many years, so I do have some Unix saavy. In this case however, lesson learned
    I installed via Preware Feeds. Decided to uninstall until it's ready for prime time. Upon reboot my phone was not logged into my Palm profile and it had to redownload all of my applications and resynch with Google and Facebook. Preware is no longer in my app's, and neither are any homebrew applications. Hah. I didn't take that warning very seriously. How could an application that uses tar mess up my phone... I was an AIX admin for many years, so I do have some Unix saavy. In this case however, lesson learned
    You installed via the alpha testing feed, right? Not the normal Preware Feeds that the general public sees.

Did you just do backups, or did you do a restore?

If you just did backups, I very much doubt this was to blame. There are many reports of people being logged out of their Palm profiles for no apparent reason.

If you did a restore, then all bets are off. I personally wouldn't do a restore using this app until I understood exactly what it did.

(Note that I have very little to do with the actual functionality of this app, I just helped the author package it).

-- Rod
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    You installed via the alpha testing feed, right? Not the normal Preware Feeds that the general public sees.

Did you just do backups, or did you do a restore?

If you just did backups, I very much doubt this was to blame. There are many reports of people being logged out of their Palm profiles for no apparent reason.
    Rod, I grabbed from the testing feeds. Didn't do a restore (never even got a backup, actually). The issue could have been that I turned off Dev Mode after loggging out of novaterm then rebooted. In retrospect, I should have left Dev Mode on until my first reboot after uninstalling.

To be honest, now that I know I have /bin/tar I'm just gonna set up my own backup from the command line. Might even do something with cron. Would be sweet if I could utilize samba over my wireless to back up to my Mac
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    Rod, I grabbed from the testing feeds. Didn't do a restore (never even got a backup, actually). The issue could have been that I turned off Dev Mode after loggging out of novaterm then rebooted. In retrospect, I should have left Dev Mode on until my first reboot after uninstalling.

To be honest, now that I know I have /bin/tar I'm just gonna set up my own backup from the command line. Might even do something with cron. Would be sweet if I could utilize samba over my wireless to back up to my Mac
    To setup backup (using rsync) to a samba share, you can use the xorg tools described in the following thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...wer-users.html

It works over WiFi to my PC and it also can setup a cron job to do this.

Hope this helps... plee3
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    You can also use rsync to make a backup of *everything* on your Pre, although I've had permissions troubles with a few files that don't get copied. And again, when restoring, mileage may vary...
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Okay, so is there a functioning version of this? I have to replace my Pre and would really love to use this to backup from the old device and restore on the new device. Would pay just about anything up to $20.

Installed com.tntservices.ppbkuservice_0.3.0_all.ipk and com.tntservices.palmprebackup_1.0.1124_all.ipk with WebOS QuickInstall and when I try to run the app, it runs the backup in less than a second, which seems to mean it's not working.

Any advice, or can you point me in a direction for updated files?
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CooLOnE View Post
    Okay, so is there a functioning version of this? I have to replace my Pre and would really love to use this to backup from the old device and restore on the new device. Would pay just about anything up to $20.

Installed com.tntservices.ppbkuservice_0.3.0_all.ipk and com.tntservices.palmprebackup_1.0.1124_all.ipk with WebOS QuickInstall and when I try to run the app, it runs the backup in less than a second, which seems to mean it's not working.

Any advice, or can you point me in a direction for updated files?

Oddly enough (its worked for me twice now) - try installing ppbkuservice again. Not sure why, but it seems to work. Twice I found that one of the files from the service (the .jar file) was 0 size. After another install, the problem was solved. Once that problem's no more, backups take as long as you'd expect them to.

Good luck - hope that helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Ya, I am aware of the installation script confirmation dialog. But honestly how many ppl really read that, thoroughly.
    I read the confirmation dialog script preview all the way through every time for just this reason. Caveat emptor!
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcurtin View Post
    Oddly enough (its worked for me twice now) - try installing ppbkuservice again. Not sure why, but it seems to work. Twice I found that one of the files from the service (the .jar file) was 0 size. After another install, the problem was solved. Once that problem's no more, backups take as long as you'd expect them to.

Good luck - hope that helps!
    Tried installing multiple times... no luck. I did hear back from DrewPre and he said that copying out the PalmDatabase.db3 is equivalent to running his app. I guess I'll do that and hope everything works out. Thanks for the reply DrewPre, and I hope u have a chance to finish this sometime. I would definitely make it my second paid app!!!
    I have been scouring the net for days to find a solution via WIFI because my USB plugin quit working for charging and USB connecting. Sprint is replacing my phone but if I can not find a solution with in a few days I am toast when I get my new phone. I am welcome to any suggestions. I had to buy a palm touchstone just to keep using my Pre. Texts and call logs are a BIG thing to me though. I have tried to figure out xorg tools and Samba and it is not my forte. I will keep trying though. Thanks in advance for any ideals. Rod and Drewpre and the many others committed to this I have been watching this thread for a while and Thanks very much for your efforts. If only I had a USB Port functioning.
    Drew,

You've invested so much time and energy into this.

Do you need some extra dough? Set up a donor link. I'm sure that I'm not the only one willing to shoot you a few bucks to help you get this thing rolling again.

Keep it up, I bet you're almost there and don't even realize it...