Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 38910111213141516171823 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkRhino View Post
    Is there an option to backup the entire Pre? I tried installing this and it wasn't working for me, but I didn't want to go too far and have a brick again. It was a pain trying to unbrick it. ( Although I did it ) I like the idea it stores it on the pre itself. Any platform backup. Is anyone thinking about a way to restore from PC/Mac/Linux with this data? It'd be kinda neat to restore all data thru QI perhaps.
    Quote Originally Posted by pureinstinct93 View Post
    What folder(s) contain the Messaging data? I have to full erase my Pre soon. I won't be using DrewPre's script, can I copy the data and paste it back manually with success?
    There is one file that contains most all of your important data...

/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3

Copy that from a system with 1.3.1, and you'll need to copy that same *.db3 file back to a 1.3.1 system. You'd be best off just Doctoring the replacement Pre to 1.3.1 right off the bat and then login to your Palm Profile. Most things should be back to normal, but text messages won't be there.

They're definitely in the *.db3 file, so you just overwrite it with the old one and then call it a day. Very simple.

Let us know how it works... Feedback is ALWAYS welcome, even if it's not necessarily constructive feedback.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    apologize!!

Life is happening on my end.

Will update when I get a chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    There is one file that contains most all of your important data...

/var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3

Copy that from a system with 1.3.1, and you'll need to copy that same *.db3 file back to a 1.3.1 system. You'd be best off just Doctoring the replacement Pre to 1.3.1 right off the bat and then login to your Palm Profile. Most things should be back to normal, but text messages won't be there.
    I did copy that using interalz, but I am looking to use explorer like interface and copy move replace add files. I'd like to be able to back up all data just like text messages, emails I sent from phone. It's nice that I can connect my Pre to my PC, and download pics to my phone, but there are some text messages I'd also like to backup. I'm a DOS person and find it difficult to make the move to Linux. I can't find a machine that will hold Linux for me to experiment with, so I can root into a pre and then maneuver thru and copy all data that way.
    Any ideas or suggestions for me?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    looks like Palm is backing up tasks and memos, now in 1.3.1

That only leaves call logs and txt convo's that they don't backup.
    Which brings another question...

SHOULD they backup call & text logs?? Hmm...
    Copying and restoring the Messaging database after a WebOS Doctor formatting worked for me. Well, actually, the second time, the first time I did it my phone restarted and needed to be setup again. Weird. Anyway, I'm happy now. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Which brings another question...

SHOULD they backup call & text logs?? Hmm...
    They could give us the option to. that way those that wanna back it up atleast have the option too. thats what cloud computing is all about right?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    How close is this to being deployed?
    Quote Originally Posted by pixelwix View Post
    They could give us the option to. that way those that wanna back it up atleast have the option too. thats what cloud computing is all about right?
    Ehh.... I think cloud computing is more about centrality and/or redundancy.

But options are ALWAYS good.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    When others say to write a service to access the data, they
    don't mean write a service to call a shell script to access the data.
    That can be done but it also violates the security WebOS model and is an unsupported
    model.

Unsupported by who?????

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Firstly, no it won't be included in the App Catalog even if it uses a Service.
    Although a recent front page article mentions a new app with a "plugin" that
    may provide enhanced functionality so hard to say what that gives you.
    As for why bothering to not violate the security model. As I said, the LED flashlight
    app used to do what you're trying to do (app calls service which calls shell scripts and commands)
    and it got some heat from the WebOS internals developers and others, and
    as far as I can tell has been completely disappeared. It's not in Preware any more.
    The complaint was that it left a huge security hole that would allow any WebOS
    app to call those shell scripts or commands.

I am so confused. This was the response I got in another thread when trying to pursue an alternate route toward backing up data by extracting it through Mojo.Service.Request calls to the superlog, notes, messaging, tasks,etc. services. The thread for that conversation could be found here.

This Palm Pre Backup Utility does exactly what Daemon is saying is a security breach. The backup app calls a service that calls a shell script that calls GNU tar and zips up a set of directories. If this is a security breach and is unsupported, presumably by webos-internals, et al. Then is this app really a good idea?
    Last edited by DrewPre; 12/07/2009 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Unsupported by who?????

I am so confused. This was the response I got in another thread when trying to pursue an alternate route toward backing up data by extracting it through Mojo.Service.Request calls to the superlog, notes, messaging, tasks,etc. services. The thread for that conversation could be found here.

This Palm Pre Backup Utility does exactly what Daemon is saying is a security breach. The backup app calls a service that calls a shell script that calls GNU tar and zips up a set of directories. If this is a security breach and is unsupported, presumably by webos-internals, et al. Then is this app really a good idea?

Just wanted to clarify that the old flashlight service exposed a method to run ANY shell script or command I believe, which was a major security hole. A service that exposes methods to run a SPECIFIC/known script is a lot more safe.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Unsupported by who?????

I'm not a developer. But shouldn't Palm at least try to give you guys a hand? It's been six months now since I've been hoping for a crucial backup solution. I keep adding to the database with my fingers crossed. I installed Bonsai through Classic OS emulation. The data get sucked-up into RAM where they get updated every day, but I cannot copy it out of RAM for nothing.

For Palm to have left a comprehensive backup out of their methods is insane.
    Does Droid offer a backup option? Any one knows? I'm really concerned.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    So is this not coming out? I could really use it.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    i get the error message 'PMT01002' in the App Catalog after backing up my info. Any one else get this message?
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    So since this app isn't coming out anytime soon, can someone kinda give me a step by step on how to backup my sms? Gotta send my phone back to sprint.
  16. jut
    Backing up your info was covered in a 'How To' on this site about a month ago. Use quick install to extract PalmDatabase.db3. Ive done this and it worked great for me. i believe it was called 'How To: Back Up Your Palm Profile Info' This includes sms, call log, etc
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jut View Post
    Backing up your info was covered in a 'How To' on this site about a month ago. Use quick install to extract PalmDatabase.db3. Ive done this and it worked great for me. i believe it was called 'How To: Back Up Your Palm Profile Info' This includes sms, call log, etc
    Thank you! Much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jut View Post
    For convenience:

http://www.precentral.net/how-back-your-palm-profile-information
    Rob Robinson
    Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755p >> Palm Pre
    DrewPre, I have read thru this entire forum and searched but I can't find a link to download your app. Does it exist?