Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

Remove everything in /var/opt and /opt, and start again, using Preware to install GNU Tar this time.

-- Rod
    Does the /bin/ folder need to be deleted also? I need to know if it is possible to get a correct installation of GNU Tar on WebOSQI? Perhaps by adding the optware feed to the feed manager?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Aerode, I don't think anyone doubts that is what has happened, but your Pre is definitely non-standard.

I don't think it is a good candidate for an alpha-test application, [then again, maybe that makes you the perfect candidate.]

I am inclined to tell you to manually copy the files to your PC ....and maybe you should do that anyway.... then worry about getting those files onto your New Pre. Assuming they have the same version of Webos you won't run into any problems.

If they don't have the same version of webOS ....that is to say...the new phone is running 1.3.1 and you're PalmDatabase.db3 came from 1.2.1...no biggie, we'll get you a copy of webOS Doctor 1.2.1 and wipe the New Pre, then you can copy over the PalmDatabase.db3 to the new Phone and use the Palm Update app to upgrade to 1.3.1.

HOWEVER.....

If you're willing to play a little further......

It looks like you have the service up and running if the archive with the '99' was made. What happens when you try to use the app to make an archive???
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Lesson learneded!!!! ;0)
    Don't get me wrong - I think it absolutely awesome that you're doing this stuff, and getting it out there for people to test. It'll just be easier for you to debug problems if everyone is using the same automated installation procedure.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    No. You're right!!!

I need to watch that vid you sent me and update git and git alone. That way the links I provide in here will be updated also and I won't have to track down every attachment in every post of this thread.

Plus I won't have to check to make sure everyone has the files in opt/bin and that the files have executable permissions.

It's the right thing to do. I started to watch the vid, this a.m, but got distracted when I hosed my Pre trying to set up samba so I could print something out.
    I must not have been clear the app did make an archive. I was just asking about 99 because the app didnt finish and say backup complete. I shut it down and brought it back up and there was the archive and the folder was created. I have already copied that to my PC.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Oh okay.

well, the app not finishing and saying complete is something I am aware of. It seldom happens when you run the app after a fresh restart, but if the Pre has been running for a while then it seems more likely to hang and just sit there during the 'processing' phase even tho the backup/restore has actually completed.

I am at a loss as to how to trouble shoot that. The Pre doesn't have app logging turned on so I don't get any messages about what was the last thing to complete prior to the app hanging and the app doesn't hang in the emulator. I could use some ideas on that one.

But if you have a backup you can try the retore after a fresh reboot and see if it gives you the successfully completed scene.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Another flaw, I am aware of...is when you go to restore.....and then tap filepicker....then you back gesture without selecting a file....and back gesture again to the main scene.....the app locks up completely. You have to close and re-open.

With the other flaw...when the Processing screen appears infinitely and doesn't go to the completed scene you can back gesture and the app will respond. This other flaw is a complete lockup!!

Again not sure how to trouble shoot this. No message from the /var/log/messages file.
    I attempted a restore with the archived file and the app completed it. It said the restore was complete and now I am restarting the phone. So far no ill effects.
    Drew does this backup patches as well?

Your screenshots show patches listed w/ applications but the actual device doesnt.
    Please hit the thanks button if I helped you

If you've enjoyed my patches please feel free to donate towards further development.

Follow the link below.

Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    I have since disabled patches cuz of the discussion I had here with SirWill. They are not showing up in PreWare as installed and when you go to install them they fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerode120 View Post
    I attempted a restore with the archived file and the app completed it. It said the restore was complete and now I am restarting the phone. So far no ill effects.
    I activated my replacement phone. Updated WebOS, logged into my profile ... lost all contacts calendar events ect. Way to go Palm cloud. Installed Preware. Installed GNU Tar. Installed Back up app and service. Bootstrap did what it was supposed to this time! Ran CHMOD Commands. Called the service. It all checked out so I ran a restore. When the app finished I closed it out and found the background hadnt changed Homebrew apps still werent there. I restarted the phone and still default Pre background but My contacts, calender, apps, book marks they were all back!!! DrewPre is a genius. Keep up the good work!!! You saved my data.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    good! Glad to hear it.

Backup Utility doesn't backup media [images] right now. So if you had a custom background you'd have to copy it over manually in USB mode.
    Wow it was late once I got everything taken care of last night.

I was able to perform a full back up from my Pre. Move the back up file off the Pre's USB Partition and save it to my PC. Then transfer that file to a new Pre and perform a full Restore.

Items that successfully backed up and restored were.

Contacts and Settings
    Calendar Events
    Homebrew Apps**(even the Sudoku I was doing restored)
    Launcher Settings
    Alarms
    Reminders
    Text Messages
    Call Log
    Web History
    Book Marks
    Memos
    PDFs
    Docs

Items that did not back up/restore*
    Pictures
    Ringtones
    Playlists
    Music
    Wall Paper
    MMS Attachments

* As Drew mentioned at this point Media does not get backed up but it looks like it will be a function in the future. I copied ALL these files to my PC, from the USB Partition before the Back Up and was able to easily transfer them back after the restore. I recommend doing this when you are copying the ppbkup file to your PC.

** A note about the HomeBrew Apps. They do come back and work perfectly however neither WebOSQI nor Preware recognize that they are installed. The only downfall I see with that is, you arent notified about updates unless you manually "install" everything. Which you can do successfully without any effects.

I will update this list as I find (or dont) new stuff. The App more than lived up to my expectations. Again thank you Drew! Where is your donation button?
    Last edited by Aerode120; 11/27/2009 at 06:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    532 Global Posts
    Is this application available for download? I tried to read through this thread. I found one .ipk file but it seems to be a non-functional version.

Thanks,
    Nick
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by madolen View Post
    Is this application available for download? I tried to read through this thread. I found one .ipk file but it seems to be a non-functional version.

Thanks,
    Nick
    I'd like to know the same thing. Sprint is waiting on me to send back my old phone.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Looking forward to this app! I need to do a reset and wanna backup.

In case this isn't on the radar.... backing up custom profile mappings would be huge. (i.e. I have many contacts who's profiles weren't combined automatically (i.e. IM names and other iterations of names that weren't exact). I've gone in and added profiles manually, but when I reset my pre none of those mappings are there even though I re-pull in the contacts again.

Please add that to the list to make this the most useful app out there!

When can we download?
    Nice work, so quickly!
    Is there an option to backup the entire Pre? I tried installing this and it wasn't working for me, but I didn't want to go too far and have a brick again. It was a pain trying to unbrick it. ( Although I did it ) I like the idea it stores it on the pre itself. Any platform backup. Is anyone thinking about a way to restore from PC/Mac/Linux with this data? It'd be kinda neat to restore all data thru QI perhaps.
    What folder(s) contain the Messaging data? I have to full erase my Pre soon. I won't be using DrewPre's script, can I copy the data and paste it back manually with success?