Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    you know.... I don't see it.

if all else fails install via 'ipkg-opt install tar'
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    make sure you are root [sudo -i] and run ipkg-opt install tar
    I installed it from the Index page and still nothing.
    These are the only 4 files in /opt/bin/

Code:
    root@castle: ls -l /opt/bin
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          237 Nov 25 14:53 bldExList
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          236 Nov 25 14:54 bldIncList
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          697 Nov 25 14:54 ppbku
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          354 Nov 25 14:55 pprstr
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    FWIW, I had originally copied the service files from the zip to the directories manually, and I was not getting a ppbackup folder.

after the ipk was posted, i reinstalled the service via webos quick install, but i did not delete the original service files, so I am not sure what is left, but I am creating backup files now. i also restarted the phone before trying.

will try to restore my backup file to the new phone in a little bit now that the file picker is working and post the results
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerode120 View Post
    I installed it from the Index page and still nothing.
    Well, that is strange. But try it as mentioned above.

make sure you are root [sudo -i] and run ipkg-opt install tar

You can do this from novaterm, or putty, or on device using terminal.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    well i was able to choose the file and start the restore.

it has now been running for ~ 20 minutes. not sure if it should be taking this long?

...30 minutes

stopped the program, restarted and looks like everything was succesfully restored hopefully i don't find any problems

thanks drewpre
    Last edited by jmelan; 11/25/2009 at 04:43 PM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    yea, it does that. It'll run, & run & run. Even tho it has finished successfully. Not sure how to trouble shoot that. It doesn't do that in the emulator. And the real Pre does have logging enabled for apps. I suspect it's waiting for feed back from the svc. I don't know tho. It shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 mins.
    Is is possible for me to simply copy the needed file into /opt/bin/? If so where would I get it?
    Ok so I ran 'ls -l /var/opt/bin' and got the following results:

Code:
    root@castle: ls -l /var/opt/bin
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          237 Nov 25 00:21 bldExList
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          236 Nov 25 00:21 bldIncList
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       303536 Mar 14  2009 gnutar
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          697 Nov 25 00:21 ppbku
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          354 Nov 25 00:21 pprstr
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       303536 Mar 14  2009 tar
    root@castle:
    Look the Tar!!!! I am not sure what the mar 14th is all about tho...

But 'ls -l /opt/bin' returns:

Code:
    root@castle: ls -l /opt/bin
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          237 Nov 25 14:53 bldExList
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          236 Nov 25 14:54 bldIncList
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          697 Nov 25 14:54 ppbku
      -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          354 Nov 25 14:55 pprstr
    root@castle:
    So I went back to the orginal commands. CHMOD with the added /var

Then I ran your following three commands but I still get an error:missing value at charater 9.

Code:
    root@castle: param=\"/var/luna\\\\n/var/palm\\\\n/opt/bin\" 
    root@castle: luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/runExList {\"param\":$param} 
      ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"errorCode":"ErrorGenericMethodException", "errorText":"Service Method Exception: org.json.JSONException: Missing value at character 9 of {\"param\":}"}
    root@castle: cat /tmp/Exclude
      /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW.bin
      /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_guids.bin
      /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_luids.bin
      /var/luna/data/CarrierNetworkSettings.db3
      /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3
    root@castle: cat /tmp/Include 
      /var/luna
      /var/palm/data/browser-cookies.db
      /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.browser_0/0000000000000004.db
      /var/usr/palm/applications
      /var/palm/data
      /usr/palm/applications
      /media/internal/.app-storage
      /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW.bin
      /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_guids.bin
      /var/luna/data/Apps/br/config/spds/lastsyncstate_PALMBRW_luids.bin
      /var/luna/data/CarrierNetworkSettings.db3
      /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmAccountDatabase.db3
    root@castle: luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/runBackup {\"param\":\"99\"}
      ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"output":"An error occured with GNU TAR. Palm Pre Backup cannot continue!"}
    root@castle:
    And as you can see I get an error with GNU TAR when running that last command. Ideas?
    Ok I looked back through at the other commands you gave me and this is what I got:

Code:
    root@castle: luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/runExList {\"param\":\"/var/luna\\\\n/var/palm\\\\n/opt/bin\"}
      ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"output":"Successfully built list!"}
      /var/luna
      /var/palm
      /opt/bin
    root@castle: cat /tmp/Include
      /var/luna
      /var/palm/data/browser-cookies.db
      /var/palm/data/file_.usr.palm.applications.com.palm.app.browser_0/0000000000000004.db
      /var/usr/palm/applications
      /var/palm/data
      /usr/palm/applications
      /media/internal/.app-storage
      /var/luna
      /var/palm
      /opt/bin
    root@castle: luna-send -n 1 palm://com.tntservices.ppbkuservice/runBackup {\"param\":\"99\"}
      ** Message: serviceResponse Handling: 2, {"output":"An error occured with GNU TAR. Palm Pre Backup cannot continue!"}
    root@castle:
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    so i had a little bit of time to assess the restored backup

successfully restored:
    text messages
    web bookmarks
    applications (old programs did not replace newer versions)

not restored:
    pictures in text messages

thanks again to drewpre !!! i was just about out of time to back up my old phone.
    Well I copied the file tar file in /var/opt/bin/ to /opt/bin/ and i was able to successfully run a back up and find it on the USB partition. However the app never came back and told me the back up was complete.

One question I ran the command:

Code:
    in command line and the process finished. The 99 file is in the USB partion is that full back up?
    Ok so I ran 'ls -l /var/opt/bin' and got the following results:
    But 'ls -l /opt/bin' returns:
    /opt/bin should be a bind mount of /var/opt/bin

This means you have not used Preware to install tar, and things are broken as a result.

Remove everything in /var/opt and /opt, and start again, using Preware to install GNU Tar this time.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Rod, did you see where he said his /opt/bin only had 4 files?

Didn't that strike you as odd? Do you really think installing Gnu Tar incorrectly would cause that?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Aerode, I would delete that archive with the 99 in the filename. It was just a test. Besides your exclude list was not built correctly when you made that archive. If you try to restore using it, you will brick your Pre.

Well I copied the file tar file in /var/opt/bin/ to /opt/bin/ and i was able to successfully run a back up and find it on the USB partition. However the app never came back and told me the back up was complete.

One question I ran the command:

Code:
    in command line and the process finished. The 99 file is in the USB partion is that full back up?
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    jmelan, I beleve that to be a quirk of the Chat Messaging App. The pictures in txt msgs will return once you receive txt msgs from the ppl who have missing pix. receiving that txt msg is Chat Messaging's equivalent to a Luna Rescan.

Quote Originally Posted by jmelan View Post
    so i had a little bit of time to assess the restored backup

successfully restored:
    text messages
    web bookmarks
    applications (old programs did not replace newer versions)

not restored:
    pictures in text messages

thanks again to drewpre !!! i was just about out of time to back up my old phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewPre View Post
    Rod, did you see where he said his /opt/bin only had 4 files?

Didn't that strike you as odd? Do you really think installing Gnu Tar incorrectly would cause that?
    Yes, the way it should work is that the Optware bootstrap procedure, whether done via the optware-bootstrap.sh script, or by installing the Optware bootstrap package in Preware (which is a dependency of the GNU Tar package), sets up /var/opt/bin and /opt/bin to actually be pointing to exactly the same area on the disk, so modifications in one are automatically mirrored in the other (this is done using a bind mount, but you can think of it as a "directory alias").

So he has installed GNU Tar somehow without doing the optware bootstrap first, and hence the link between those directories hasn't happened.

The root cause I think is that you are distributing manual installation packages instead of just telling people to use Preware to install GNU Tar (this will do the Optware bootstrap automatically), and then use WebOS Quick Install to install the correctly packaged ipkg files.

Getting people to do stuff manually *always* results in inconsistent and incorrect installations, and no easy way to debug them (cause they all turn out slightly different).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Bootstrap is installed also. GNU Tar would have orginally came from Preware because everything I have done until today involved preware and only preware. I dont actually remember installing it ... I assuming another app neeed it and it was installed then. I can not currently use Preware to install anything because the bottom part of my screen is unresponsive. Hence the reason I need to back up my phone. If there is a way to do it through QI then I can.
    Today I installed the GNU Tar from an IPK in the Optware index.
    Last edited by Aerode120; 11/25/2009 at 10:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    The root cause I think is that you are distributing manual installation packages instead of just telling people to use Preware to install GNU Tar (this will do the Optware bootstrap automatically), and then use WebOS Quick Install to install the correctly packaged ipkg files.
    Lesson learneded!!!! ;0)