Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I've noticed that there aren't any simple database type programs. Is that not possible at this time?

Specifically, I'd like to have a program for restaurant reviews. Basic stuff like name, addy, phone, rating, comments, etc. Then be able to search by name or rating. With user defined fields, it could be used for many purposes other than restaurant reviews.

Can it be done with the tools available?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Its possible. There is no technical hurdle. Just a lot of work to do it right and make it configurable enough. A database program needs a table designer, forms designer, a query engine, a report engine, etc.

The web kind of makes this type of app archaic. If your data ain't secret then keep it on the cloud and share with others.
    Can we get a calendar app for christian & us holidays. Also more calendar w/ events folder. Like custom events & color coding. Too few choices currently. Also bluetooth only syncs w/ear piece, need to sync w/other devices. Cells phones,pc etc. Just want apps like I had w/ 755P. LETS GET IT GOING. MISS A LOT OF APPS, that are very useful.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    I've noticed that there aren't any simple database type programs.
    I too long for a database program designed for WebOS. I have separate tables for books (read or considering), movies (seen or not seen and rating), shopping list, packing for trips (items to consider), daily weight, and many more.

I currently use Smart-List-To-Go (SLTG) from DatViz, and have moved my most important tables from my Treo (Palm-OS) to my PrPrPr&#$275$;, $where$ $SLTG$ $runs$ $reasonably$ $well$ $under$ $the$ Classic Palm-OS emulator.
    Palm: V > M505 > Treo 700p > Prē
    Apple: iPad 1
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    I'd be happy to pay for a good database. I paid over $20 for one for the iPhone. It was cute but not customizeable. I later got a much cheaper one that had user programable fields that included adding photos.

I really don't want to go backwards with Classic. I'd like to see our current developers work on this rather than wait for a WebOS version of iPhone apps. I think the demand and possibilities are far greater than some might realize.
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    So nobody wants to invest their time into a programmable database? I thought that business and productivity were the future of the Pre. Those are the kind of apps that I will pay for.

If the demand for Twitter apps and tip calculators ever dies off, I hope you reconsider.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    doesn't sqlite reside on the linux under-bell of the Pre?
    Yep, SQLite is definitely on the Pre. I'm using it in my first app. There are two different ways to get at it as well. The first is called the "Depot". If you have a very simple schema and don't plan to access it heavily then this is the easiest option. Otherwise, accessing it as an HTML5 Database Object is the best way to go (IMO, it's the best way no matter what). More info...

- Palm Developer Network: Storage Overview
    - webOS Inernals: Mojo Storage Database (Great tutorial!)
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
    Global Posts
    248 Global Posts
    Due to lack of developer interest, I purchased Classic and HanDBase. I tried the Classic app when it first came out and it stunk. It's still an unstable platform for outdated programs...and VERY overpriced to boot. HanDBase is pretty pricey too for what it does. HanDBase MIGHT work if Classic could hang on long enough, but even if it did work, it would be a backwards step to owning the Pre.

So I've got about $70 invested and almost nothing to show for it. For those wanting a database, don't go the route I did.

For those developers wanting to make money. I basically just threw $70 out the window. Imagine what I would pay for something that worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by 02589 View Post
    Due to lack of developer interest, I purchased Classic and HanDBase. I tried the Classic app when it first came out and it stunk. It's still an unstable platform for outdated programs...and VERY overpriced to boot. HanDBase is pretty pricey too for what it does. HanDBase MIGHT work if Classic could hang on long enough, but even if it did work, it would be a backwards step to owning the Pre.

So I've got about $70 invested and almost nothing to show for it. For those wanting a database, don't go the route I did.

For those developers wanting to make money. I basically just threw $70 out the window. Imagine what I would pay for something that worked.
    Eeek. My condolences to your wallet. Classic is overpriced. I am certain it will be developed, just not immediately. Would love to work on something like this, but am tied up with my current apps at the moment.
    It can't be that difficult to write such an App.

I guess the best app would have a user interface similar to MS Access - i.e. a table that enables you to edit each cell.

Is it possible to use that approach in a webOS App?
    As someone had mentioned, the SQLite database is built into the Palm WebOS via HTML5. So the database core is already present. What needs to be developed, is a front-end application for the user. I've written WebOS, Windows Mobile, and Windows PC apps that use SQLite and it's a good system to work with.

My only question, is how should the interface for such an app on the Palm look like? Do you want to build the database "schema" (defining the fields for each record and tables) on the Pre device or outside in a companion PC application? If I can get some feedback on how this application should work I'll give it a shot.
    cohoman

Palm Apps:

jVault and jChecklist
    cohoman,

Both, honestly*. You will have your power uses who will almost demand a PC version to edit and create complex schema's. Then, you will have your users who need it on the fly. Maybe work on the phone based editor's first as that will be the really tricky one.

* Let power users use SQL Lite Editor. Why reinvent the wheel here? Would just need good help files and links to download installable's.