1.    #1  
    I searched but I did not find anything along the lines of one. It wouldnt be too hard to have a ringtone editor like the one on the android called the ringdroid?
    YES PLEASE! If anyone out there is working on one, I would gladly help tweak and give feedback on the UI (don't have programming background, but have helped many others with UI streamlining).

Something simple that would allow you to take an existing audio file on the pre (.mp3 for example), let you choose the start and end times within the track (with precision up to 'hundredths' of a second, i.e. "1:04.79"), and possibly add fade-in and fade-out effects to the beginning and end, respectively. Lastly, volume adjustment would be icing on the auditory cake (for songs that are too loud or soft and may need dB tweaking for ringtone purposes).

I think this would be such a cool app to have, and I would gladly donate my money, time, advice, etc. OR buy this on the App Catalog from the awesome developer who makes it.

Anyone willing to take on the challenge and satisfy hundreds of thousands of fellow WebOS users?
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    co-signed.

This would be a great idea.
  4.    #4  
    I miss it from when I had my G1. No one with developing skills can chime in?
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    i agree!!!!

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    +1 for that, definitely.
    afaikafaikafaik, $not$ $even$ $remotely$ $possible$ $with$ $the$ $SDK$. $Only$ $possible$ $way$ $would$ $be$ $with$ $an$ $audio$ $manipulation$ $service$. $Which$ $in$ $turn$ $would$ $block$ $this$ $app$ $from$ $being$ $released$ $on$ $the$ $App$ $Catalog$, $deminishing$ $the$ # $of$ $developers$ $willing$ $to$ $spend$ $all$ $that$ $extensive$ $time$ $creating$ $a$ $ringtone$ $editor$.
    Am i mistaken, or does webOS already do this on it's own? If you go to select a ringtone the button on the bottom left corner lets you select an MP3 that you have saved on your phone to make a ringtone.
    Sorry but it's far from easy or feasible. The only way to get the data from a file is to open it through ajax which would be prohibitively slow. I've tried this with a 1MB file and it was crawling. Most ringtone files, or MP3's you'd want to make a file from would be at least that size. And that was just reading the data in, it doesn't include doing any manipulation on the data.

Which brings us to the second issue: You cannot write/create files in WebOS. So EVEN IF you could find a way to open and manipulate the audio files, you could never save your changes.

If you want this type of a program (which I'd be happy to write once the API exists for it), you ALL need to let it be known to Palm that you want "File I/O capabilities" here:

Forums webOS • View forum - Bug Reports and Feature Requests

Let them Know!
    Side note, 6tr6tr, in the interim, you can use my homebrew FileMgr Service, which includes a basic file io. Unfortunately, FileMgr Service will never make it to the App Catalog, thus forcing apps centered around it to remain homebrew-only.

But back on topic. In order to crop an mp3 or add crossfades, you'd need to create a webos service that can do that, from scratch. Not a pleasant thought if your goal is to make a freeware homebrew apps only a very small fraction of the webOS user-base will use. Especially given how much time and effort would have to go into it.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Veritas06 View Post
    Am i mistaken, or does webOS already do this on it's own? If you go to select a ringtone the button on the bottom left corner lets you select an MP3 that you have saved on your phone to make a ringtone.

this only plays the first 30 seconds of the song you pick......maybe you should read the first few posts....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Side note, 6tr6tr, in the interim, you can use my homebrew FileMgr Service, which includes a basic file io. Unfortunately, FileMgr Service will never make it to the App Catalog, thus forcing apps centered around it to remain homebrew-only.
    Yeah, that's the problem. I appreciate that you did this but unfortunately I can't put time towards something I won't make money back for (at this time, if I can I'm more than happy to make free/open-source stuff too). Really, it is ridiculous that file I/O (even if it was restricted to the folder where your app exists) was not included in the original version of webOS (along with a full canvas tag).
    Jason and 6tr, thank you for your insights. I had a feeling this would be challenging, but never knew to what extent.

As I noted above I would gladly donate to bring something like this to our humble little OS, but I completely understand the time-to-compensation ratio would not make this endeavor worth-while.

I have taken 6tr's advice and have created an account at developer.palm.com and posted a request for file I/O (didn't want to create a new thread and be flamed, so found a topic with similar interest and posted there). How will they know if we don't tell them, right?

I hope we can get a more flexible OS by the time 2.0 comes.
    sad since my centro could do handle this process without "crawling" with minitones