1. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    I want to write a pair of applications, one to run on the desktop (probably in .NET, but I'm fine with that part) and one written in JavaScript using Mojo and Prototype to talk to this desktop application via Wifi or direct USB cable connection.
    However, I don't even know if its possible to do this via Javascript and the relevant libraries?

Is this possible, and if so, can someone give me some pointers on where to start reading about how this could be achieved?

Thanks
    Easiest method would be for your desktop app to implement some type of Web Server that allows your WebOS app to use standard AJAX calls to it for exchanging data. I assume this is how Classic is doing syncing over WiFi.

Issues involved:

Firewall software on the desktop and security concerns with exposing a web server on it. It would need to be really locked down and have good gatekeeping for the information exchange.

Giving the Pre the ip address of the desktop server. Most easily done by encoding the IP of the desktop and allow the user to enter a code which represents the IP. If connection with a computer that doesn't have a static IP or reserved DCHP, could allow the IP to rotate and require resyncing. (Might be able to "discover" the desktop by walking up IPs for a given domain.)

I don't think we have any WebOS SDK way of doing USB data transfer from an App. This would require programs with calls that wouldn't allow entry into the App Catalog at this time.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
  3. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Thanks. I thought of the web server option but that seems a bit messy. Didn't know if there was a more elegant way of doing it in JavaScript, but it looks unlikely.
    Times like this I wish I'd gone the Java/Android route!