Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I don't know if this is something feasible or even smart to do but just an idea I had to spur some development. I figured I'd toss it out here and see what people think.

On a lot of App Request threads we get people saying "I'd pay for xxxxx to be made". However, this being the internet, people say things they don't really mean and no one can really count on being compensated for spending the time it might take to fully realize and support a project. So my idea is to create a bounty-type system for app requests. A sort of pool where donations towards an app development would be sent and the funds would be guaranteed assuming the requests of the people were met. Obviously stuff like reasonable timeframe, refunds in case it doesn't work out and proof of progress would need to be established and it'd have to be run by a reputable party but I think money is always a good way to get results.

Thoughts?
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Interesting. Here's my two cents:
    - donation to a specific app [request] instead of a pool
    - pledges instead of a donation
    - some way of authentificating pledgers (paypal, mininum number of posts, rating system on dependable pledger)
    - minimum functionalities detailed (perhaps corresponding to for beta, v1.0, etc.)
    - pledgers get free license for life
    - developers would declare their interest and delivery date (to avoid two devs trying to claim money at same time)

Here's how I see it going down:
    1. Somebody says "a XXX app would be great, it should do A, B and C"
    2. This request appears in a special forum, and forum users pledge money. An indicator would show how many have pledged, and average pledge (to give an idea of selling sweet point)
    3. It should be possible to add/amend functionalities (like a wiki) until a developer declares him/herself interested (bids). He/she can confirm ability to create desired functions (A, B, but not C) at give dates for beta and v1 delivery, at which point the request is "locked" and pledges can reconfirm. This response period for devs can remain open for a few days, to give the chance for other devs to bid.
    4. Developer dedicates him/herself if the re-confirmed pledges remain interesting and can get to work.
    5. Acceptance can be done by a administering third-party, or by majority vote. (What would be better to avoid "cheating"?)
    6. Upon acceptance, pledgers have to pay up. If they don't they get banned, or spanked or put on a piggy list, or something.

Hm...I'm starting to like this system more and more. It seems logical - does it exist already in some shape or form??? Sort of like an open call for tender, but participatory social network web 2.0 style.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    894 Global Posts
    Or if the above is to hard or unfeasible to implement, perhaps a sub-forum could be simply established. App requests are listed in order of interest. Pledges could be made but not really verified or paid, just to give a prospecting dev an idea to be taken with a grain of salt.
    Pixi Plus - Pre Plus - Pre 2 - Pre 3 - Touchpad 1 ;-)
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyena View Post
    Hm...I'm starting to like this system more and more. It seems logical - does it exist already in some shape or form??? Sort of like an open call for tender, but participatory social network web 2.0 style.
    There is something similar albeit on a much larger scale Kickstarter Is A Funding Platform For Artists, Designers, Filmmakers, Musicians, Journalists, Inventors, Explorers.

I think the concept could work well on an active community such as PreCentral.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    As far as pledges, I think it should be money already paid. Preventing people from not paying up like they say they would.
    Coming from the development side, a few things stand out, imho:

1. I would not want a whole lot of money trying to motivate me (pledgers already paid). This would force me to do a shoddy job or try to finish it ASAP (which MAY be good in some cases, but might also turn out bad).

2. It usually is not very easy to suggest a "delivery date". For example, you COULD say "oh this should take me a week" and find out you have obstacles/hurdles that stop you from doing it for at least two weeks. Within 6 days, people start clamoring about how they've already paid and expect the app within 12 hours. You simply can't do it, so you post an apology. People get dissatisfied, mass chaos ensues.

hahaha. You get the idea... but it's definitely a good idea. Keep brainstorming something and maybe one of the guys here at PreCentral can come up with a system like this with you guys!
    Resurrecting this year-old thread because I have a couple of ideas for simple apps (seems simple to me, anyway) that I'd like to see made. I have no knowledge of how or time to do it myself, but would gladly pay for someone else to make a paid app that does these functions.

My idea for a bounty system to accomplish this would be that people who wish for an app to be made outline their idea and contributes funds toward the idea. The funds are held by some trusted group/individual and are released to the dev when he/she/they make the app. That trusted group/individual would have to do some administrative work to determine whether the app is possible and the funds contributed are acceptable given the amount of work required for the app. In return for the administrative work, they take some small cut from the funds and deliver the rest to the dev.

I really think Precentral or somebody else should do this because it would make sure (gasp!) that tangible support is given for devs, and would allow people like me who think they have an idea to get their app developed.

Win-Win Please discuss this!
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Coming from the development side, a few things stand out, imho:

1. I would not want a whole lot of money trying to motivate me (pledgers already paid). This would force me to do a shoddy job or try to finish it ASAP (which MAY be good in some cases, but might also turn out bad).

2. It usually is not very easy to suggest a "delivery date". For example, you COULD say "oh this should take me a week" and find out you have obstacles/hurdles that stop you from doing it for at least two weeks. Within 6 days, people start clamoring about how they've already paid and expect the app within 12 hours. You simply can't do it, so you post an apology. People get dissatisfied, mass chaos ensues.

hahaha. You get the idea... but it's definitely a good idea. Keep brainstorming something and maybe one of the guys here at PreCentral can come up with a system like this with you guys!
    I can see all that happening and/or 2+ devs begin working on similar apps and all come out around the same time... who gets the bounty, me or the dog?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I can see all that happening and/or 2+ devs begin working on similar apps and all come out around the same time... who gets the bounty, me or the dog?
    I hear ya...and agreed it may be better sometimes to create apps based on your own ideas...but isn't there something to be said about no such structure existing at all for this, leaving it for you to rely just on payments for downloads? With a system such as this combined with people doing the "like"/"+1" thing, you have a base of people who are likely to download the app but you're also paid for the development of it.

A group is doing a similar thing in the Android world. I don't have enough posts for links yet but if you search for "androidandme bounty", you'll find it. The resulting apps are pretty cool.

This is getting pretty theoretical but...people are always saying "I wish there was an app for...". With a system in place to address these wishes, devs can get support to create these apps in addition to people paying for them. You'd end up with fewer apps but together they encompass more of the needs of the userbase. Apple's got so many apps that you could create something innovative that nevertheless gets lost in the megashuffle.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    Also coming from the dev side I think before pledges or any sort of money starts rolling in there should be discussion on if said app is possible or not. Every platform has it's limitations and just because one phone is capable doesn't mean another is. I could just see a fledgling developer getting motivated by the money and diving in head first only to find out after weeks of development that a specific functionality isn't even possible. Then we'd have a bunch of people excited that this app they want is being developed only for the developer to have to abandon the project because of limitations.

Anyhow, just something to think about.

- Phil -
    I like the idea of everybody is helping everyone (for free).
    I didn't donate for an app, instead I build Dr.Battery.
    This is what a community is about. EDIT: And the reason this community is the best
    Else the next step could be: I help you with a solution/answer (not an app) if you donate some bugs?