Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I am looking to invest some serious time to start to learn to write WebOS apps. I don't have a programming background at all, so I am a newbie when it comes to Java/HTML everything. I have been hacking computers and working with SQL and other language oriented systems for about 5 years now. I can hack up some HTML code and can understand some of the WebOS workings. MY first Pre I rooted with no prob and I have no problem editing pages. Much more networking background by nature though.

But I want to start learning from scratch the right way. I went through the HelloWorld app and it seemed somewhat straight forward.

Ultimately I plan on writing a fairly basic app that can be built on in sections. If any dev out there feels like sharing any tips, links, book names, or in general; taking someone under their wing, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for any help.
    There's definitely some books that you can read, I know I've seen Douglas Crockford I believe the name is recommended a few times, with one of the books being Javascript, The Good Parts. I've never read it though.

There's also the webOS book written by Mitch Allen. That one I read and it was decently informative, though I also read it before the SDK was made public.

But basically, I found that reading about it did absolutely nothing for me. It was experimenting that got me figuring out things, whether by looking at existing programs, Googling functions, and looking at the reference API stuff at the developer.palm.com site.
  3. ird
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Get a good understanding of Javascript, CSS, HTML, and working with the DOM. Then just tinker around with the WebOS API and you'll be well on your way.

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
    Google Doctype - Google Code
    webOS tutorials, forums and resources for developers

I could list more, but these three should help you immensely.
    Of course, I have to add my own tutorials: WebOS Programming - Beyond 'Hello World'
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    I wholeheartedly agree with jhoff80.

I STRONGLY suggest you don't waste time reading. Use literature only as a reference. RickNeff's tutorials are nice, to the point, and will help to get you started. If you've played around with Hello World you know how crucial it is to jump right in.

Seriously, pop it open, change ONE line, load it up and see what it does. It does take a long time, to be honest, but you'll learn more than any book can teach you. Granted you won't know how to do certain things at which point literature becomes your bible. As I suggested, only use it for reference. I noticed myself, while learning, becoming dead set on ways that I learned things to do via literature. It was then really hard for me to switch things around or to try a different method just because I was so used to, and comfortable with, doing things a certain way.

I strongly suggest jumping in and playing around with it.

Your idea of starting with the hello world app and building it up as you go is PERFECT. That's exactly how I started to learn.

(Warning: Here comes my plug)

When I began learning, I literally copied the Hello World app and began butchering my copy of it. It was a LOT of fun, and I even documented a bit of my progress in one of the VERY early threads on this forum. I truly learned a LOT. This was WAY before the SDK was officially released and there was NO documentation available.

So, to summarize: Read a couple tutorials (RickNeff), pop open the Hello World app and start playing around. I strongly urge you to not waste more than an hour or two on the tutorials. Heck, if I was you, I'd open the tutorial and read it WHILE I have Hello World open and am playing around with it.

Good Luck!