1.    #1  
    I'm sitting here at work on a light friday. This is not the norm, so bare with me. So I'm talking to my coworker about how I can keep busy because I have my Pre, my iPod Touch and access to internet. The only thing I'm missing from being at home is my tv. So I said I can stream tv and video on my Pre. And he asked if there is any way to output that to the monitor.

I thought it would be a good idea, if at all possible to have a "video out" throught the usb that would display the Pre desktop (is that what it's called) on to a monitor. Kinda like a how you hook a projector up to a laptop.

What do you guys think? at all possible? Crazy? Lemme know what you think.
    I am also anxiously awaiting this capability. Especially after a SlingPlayer app for Pre hits. I want to watch ESPN on the DVD player (A/V inputs built in) in the back of the van while traveling (wife driving). In the meantime, I tether my Touch to the Pre and use the SlingPlayer app on the touch. I haven't tested yet but now that a jailbreak for the touch 3g is out, I may try to install screensplitr and av out of my Touch to the AV inputs on the DVD player. Where there is a will (and a few good hackers) there is a way.
    I would strongly disagree with "where there's a will there is a way." There has to be a way first, then there has to be a will. I don't think this is possible, for instance, but someone might be able to contradict me.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    I would strongly disagree with "where there's a will there is a way." There has to be a way first, then there has to be a will. I don't think this is possible, for instance, but someone might be able to contradict me.
    Exactly, I'm a "Will" but I certainly don't have a Way....
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    The OMAP3430 supports s-video out I just don't know from where and if Palm has it tied into (in the hardware) the USB port.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Do a search, there are a lot of posts on this. True video out is not possible, since the OMAP's video outs are not connected to anything. You can probably do some sort of video capture from a "master" computer hooked up via USB, much like a computer can suck video off a webcam via USB. But there doesn't seem to be a technical way to do a true video out on the Pre by itself.
    I was able to do what you're describing with a way less powerful PSP. I'd be shocked if you couldn't do this with the Pre.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Do a search, there are a lot of posts on this. True video out is not possible, since the OMAP's video outs are not connected to anything. You can probably do some sort of video capture from a "master" computer hooked up via USB, much like a computer can suck video off a webcam via USB. But there doesn't seem to be a technical way to do a true video out on the Pre by itself.
    Is there a way to do even that? Display the Pre's screen on the computer? (not the emulator)
    Do you mean like running a vnc server on the Pre or do you mean having it drive one of these devices?

ThinkGeek :: Mimo Mini USB Monitor
    Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post
    I was able to do what you're describing with a way less powerful PSP. I'd be shocked if you couldn't do this with the Pre.
    It has nothing to do with power. The Pre's video out is not physically connected to anything.

Wish as hard as you want, but the power of happy thoughts isn't going to grow new circuit board traces.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinistereo View Post
    it has nothing to do with power. The pre's video out is not physically connected to anything.

Wish as hard as you want, but the power of happy thoughts isn't going to grow new circuit board traces.
    lmfao
    how do you guys know that Pre's video out is not connected to anything?
    why would video our even have been engineered into the device? It's a phone...
    If it was somehow possible to do it, it would have been advertised. Also, video out through USB really wouldn't make sense. The place it would be, if anywhere, is the headphone jack - but it's not there.
    Anyone else missing Athena right now?
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post
    Anyone else missing Athena right now?
    Don't think that Athena (PalmOS connector) is required. The audio could come out of the headset socket and video from USB (s-video), if Palm wanted to connect it that way. (Maybe it is?)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvintimothyjr View Post
    why would video our even have been engineered into the device? It's a phone...
    It is available from the TI 3430 used in the Pre. Whether Palm have included a connection and processing/switching is another matter.
    What about something along the lines of mymobiler? Video out, although not at full fps, but having the video run to a computer to which you could interact. I used to use it all the time for my WinMo device, I don't see why it wouldn't be possible on the pre to some extent.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Hmmm.. could an app be created for the PC and the Pre webOS to do this.

Like eyetv which offers the elgato digital TV tuner for PC's/Mac with connections to the iPhone/iPod Touch have an app that lets you log in and tune into real TV Broadcast on your iPodTouch/iPhone from it's wifi connection to your PC/Mac. However this particular connection only works going to the iPodTouch/iPhone not the other way around.