Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    There is an app that I would love to have for the Pre. The developer of the app for the palm os has just made the app open source. Here is a link to the code:

wardtools - Project Hosting on Google Code

If anybody could work on this it would be awesome. Let me know if it is possible and if I can be of any help. I don't know code, but I'm a willing guinea pig.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    While it is open source now, and the source is posted. It is written in C. I don't know of any way to port C source over to HTML/CSS/Javascript. It would probably be easier to re-write it from scratch with the same basic functionality.

This would probably be best handled over at the LDSTech community.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    I'm just curious - why such a heavy focus on Mormonism? Is there just one or 2 people who do all of these LDS / Book of Mormon apps?
  4.    #4  
    Well I hope that somebody can/will take the time to do a re-write then. This is an excellent app for LDS members. I found it invaluable on the Palm OS and I still carry around my Centro just for this app. I suppose I could buy Classic and try that, but I really don't want to pay $30 for Classic...I think it's overpriced.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    I'm just curious - why such a heavy focus on Mormonism? Is there just one or 2 people who do all of these LDS / Book of Mormon apps?
    I won't get into religion here, this is not the place really. There are more of us mormons on here than one would imagine. I only wish I was a developer, and who knows maybe some day I will morph in to one without even knowing it.

Mormons have a history of being involved in emerging technologies.

Philo Taylor Farnsworth (August 19, 1906 March 11, 1971) was an American inventor. He is best known for inventing the first fully electronic television system, including the first working electronic image pickup device (video camera tube), and for being the first to demonstrate fully electronic television to the public.

In his later life, Farnsworth also invented a small nuclear fusion device known as a fusor.

The hearing aid, audiometer, artificial larynx, and stereophonic recording: Harvey Fletcher

William Clayton
    During the trek west, Clayton kept detailed records of the surrounding landscape, plant life, and activities of the Camp of Israel. He was assigned to record the distance traveled each day by the wagon party. To accomplish this, he tied a red flag to the wheel of a wagon and counted each revolution. He determined that 360 revolutions of a wagon wheel equaled one mile traveled. One can only imagine how tedious this job would become, and so with the help of Orson Pratt, he designed the roadometer. The roadometer was built by Appleton Milo Harmon and consisted of a set of wooden cogs attached to the hub of a wagon wheel. The cogs caused a wheel to revolve once every ten miles, thus accurately recording each mile and quarter mile travelled. The mechanism was protected from the elements by an encasement. The roadometer was first used on May 12, 1847
    -----------------
    Oh, it wasn't a religious question really - I already have an opinion on the LDS and several relatives who are members, and my opinion is solid. I won't say what that opinion is, because this isn't that forum.

I was just curious if this was 1 person or 1 team creating all of these LDS applications or if it was several people and for some reason there was a strong LDS presence in the Palm community, and if so, why. It's just interesting.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek View Post
    Oh, it wasn't a religious question really - I already have an opinion on the LDS and several relatives who are members, and my opinion is solid. I won't say what that opinion is, because this isn't that forum.

I was just curious if this was 1 person or 1 team creating all of these LDS applications or if it was several people and for some reason there was a strong LDS presence in the Palm community, and if so, why. It's just interesting.

There's always been a strong LDS Palm community. As a result, as many migrate from palm os to webos, there is a desire to get LDS apps. I think the majority of webos apps have come from the same couple of people.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    There were several different people developing apps for the LDS Community on Palm OS, a few on Windows Mobile. Now as PrimeTime said, naturally a lot are migrating to WebOS. Hopefully we will get even more developers seeing as how WebOS uses HTML/CSS/JavaScript.
    -----------------
  9.    #9  
    So....is anybody willing to take this project on? I will certainly pay for such an app because of its value to myself and my wife. At this point it's going to cost $60 to get this running through classic on two phones. I'd like to pay less than that. Anybody??
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I don't have access to the MLS data. I have successfully taken the member list from the web and put that in to google contacts, and then of course in to my Pre. A long time ago I did have access to the other data and used the tools to have callings, and confidential information. The way I put it in to my contacts I have full family information, kids, and so forth. I know that the church is not wild on the idea of the confidential information being on an outside system such as your phone.

Really a program such as this also requires 2 elements. 1 to manipulate the data, and 1 to run on the device.
    -----------------
  11.    #11  
    Bishoprics and stake presidencies love this program. I had it on my Treo and Centro and used it all the time. Having some of the information that doesn't translate into the Google Contacts is invaluable. I can get you a dummy MLS ward if you'd like to use it for development. Having this info on the fly is a huge benefit to the many users of Ward Tools. Hope this all made sense.

Quote Originally Posted by SirWill View Post
    I don't have access to the MLS data. I have successfully taken the member list from the web and put that in to google contacts, and then of course in to my Pre. A long time ago I did have access to the other data and used the tools to have callings, and confidential information. The way I put it in to my contacts I have full family information, kids, and so forth. I know that the church is not wild on the idea of the confidential information being on an outside system such as your phone.

Really a program such as this also requires 2 elements. 1 to manipulate the data, and 1 to run on the device.
  12.    #12  
    Anybody interested? I'd certainly pay someone to develop this.....
    I corrected the thread title to match the content of the thread.

Posting a generic thread title can help you suck in a lot more people who would not normally go into the thread. Regardless of what the thread is really about, the down side is that they might feel tricked and not respond well.

Please post thread titles that specifically match the thread content.

Thanks,

- Craig
    I'd be willing to give it a try. I haven't used the other program before though. What features does it have? What does it exactly do? The more information you can provide the better.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by xlilcasper View Post
    I'd be willing to give it a try. I haven't used the other program before though. What features does it have? What does it exactly do? The more information you can provide the better.
    It gives a list of every member in the ward and allows you to click on a family and see individual records. You can include confidential data (birthday, MRN, endowed, etc) or not and it also includes HT and VT. It lists the people by families and then breaks it down by there. I hope this helps. I'd love to see it. Maybe even something similar to this:

MyWard - LDS Ward MIS/MLS Data Conversion Utility @ Shiblon.com

I prefer the layout of Ward Tools, but at this point, I'm pretty lost without having the ward information at my fingertips.
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime34 View Post
    There's always been a strong LDS Palm community. As a result, as many migrate from palm os to webos, there is a desire to get LDS apps. I think the majority of webos apps have come from the same couple of people.
    Absolutely. On my old Centro I had manuals, general conference talks, hymn book, etc, etc, etc. I am (not so) patiently awaiting at least for iSilo.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    Absolutely. On my old Centro I had manuals, general conference talks, hymn book, etc, etc, etc. I am (not so) patiently awaiting at least for iSilo.
    Agreed...I can look stuff up on lds.org but that's slow and not very effective...hopefully the apps will catch up with the technology.
    Maybe the guy that did the "Mormon Channel" app could take a look at it?

I don't have a LDS Tech account set up yet, so I'm not sure if there are any other Pre related projects going on over there. Unfortunately, my free time is very limited at the moment.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I think the only pre related project on the tech site right now is mormon channel, well and an offline written scriptures. As I said, the church won't officially support this type of application. The more I've thought about it however, the more I wouldn't mind taking a stab at it. There are a number of challenges to overcome. PT, if you have some dummy data to give me, I'd like to get it. I think the Myward is what I used before. Back when I had access to the data and a reason to have the data. PM me, and I'll give you my email to send a file to.

I can't promise anything but I certainly will give it a shot.
    -----------------
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I've got a general idea of how to approach this and believe I can do it. The more I look, the more excited I am to pull this off.
    -----------------
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast