1.    #1  
    A lot here keep bashing JavaScript, others seem confused about what it can or can't do, and whether it's at fault for everything that's wrong with webOS.

A long time great JavaScript site by Doug Crockford:

Douglas Crockford's Javascript

And a video for those who just want to kick back and listen to a great (albeit technical) talk:

Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    There have always been *some* C / C++ guys that bash all the other languages. Its just in their nature. Kind of like *some* iphone owners I guess
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    A lot of 'serious developers' don't understand Javascript and in their ignorance they decide it must therefore suck.

Crockford knows all about this.
    I think this is sometimes a hard subject for some to grasp. What people usually don't realize is that the version of JSJSJS $available$ $to$ $use$ $has$ $some$ $features$ $that$ $can$'$t$ $be$ $used$ $in$ $common$ $web$ $development$, $so$ $even$ $if$ $one$ $knows$ $JS$ $they$ $need$ $to$ $really$ $dive$ $in$ $and$ $look$ $at$ $what$ $can$ $be$ $used$. $Plus$ $the$ $association$ $with$ $JS$ $with$ $bloat$ $due$ $to$ $the$ $years$ $of$ $uneven$ $browser$ $updates$ ($but$ $that$'$s$ $another$ $story$).

(JSJSJS $is$ $just$ $so$ $awesome$)
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    C++/C# programmer here. Really considering picking up on JSJSJS $just$ $for$ $the$ $Pre$. $Wish$ $a$ $WebOS$ $focused$ $book$ $would$ $come$ $out$ $already$. $I$'$d$ $love$ $to$ $pick$ $that$ $up$ $along$ $with$ $Javascript$: The Good Parts and get cracking on some ideas I have.
    The problem isn't so much javascript as the limitations of the available APIs and the incomplete HTML5 implementation.

You can do a lot with javascript as several of us have shown. Having the Prototype framework integrated into mojo adds a lot of convenient functionality. Still, it would be nice to have at least have the option to use C++ or at least Java.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blubble View Post
    The problem isn't so much javascript as the limitations of the available APIs and the incomplete HTML5 implementation.

You can do a lot with javascript as several of us have shown. Having the Prototype framework integrated into mojo adds a lot of convenient functionality. Still, it would be nice to have at least have the option to use C++ or at least Java.
    Certainly true. Hopefully more complete APIs come rolling in and updates to the webkit/khtml as well.

Until then, let's write some kick-***** web applications and do what [albeit limited] work we can!
    Javascript is somewhat at fault for the lagginess though, right? Because it isn't a pre-compiled language and needs to do it in real time. No real programming knowledge here, so be gentle...
  9.    #9  
    It's not as fast as a compiled language, but the lags are mostly Palm's doing.

Viewed optimistically, Palm can really address the lag when it gets to it.
    Yes WebKit has a very fast JSJSJS $engine$. $Plenty$ $fast$ $for$ $just$ $about$ $anything$ $except$ $maybe$ $for$ $fast$ $paced$ $complex$ $action$ $games$.

Palm can indeed address the lag and IMHO they should do it soon because people are getting ****ed off about the lag. My application and many others get negative feedback because of this lag. So... both consumers AND developers are being discouraged here.

I already found that lag can be reduced by tweaking the webkit configuration and I'm sure there are more optimizations possible.

I hope Palm makes this issue a priority soon.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD