Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here in New York State it's illegal to talk and drive while on the phone. Answering the Pre and getting to the speaker phone option seems rather difficult while I'm driving. I'd be interested to see if anyone could come up with an app or maybe a tweak that would allow the Pre to go right into speaker mode when slid open to answer a call? Even a speaker phone app icon that does the same would do. Any ideas on this?
    It might be possible as an app. I would just suggest that you get a bluetooth headset or something. Maybe a car mount so its not as hard to answer in speaker mode.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    With the sounds in a car, speaker phone might not even work well. Why not get a bluetooth headset? Then you can just touch your ear and answer the call.
    When I have it plugged into a car radio cassette adapter, mine will go into speaker phone mode most of the time. I have no problem hearing the person I'm calling and I haven't had any comments that I sound odd.
  5.    #5  
    All very constructive, but not what I am looking for. Haven't found a BT I like, and at this point I can't afford a newer, higher end one.

I'm looking for a one step app that elimanates anything extra. Speaker phone works well in my car, and i'd rather not run it through my cars' sound system because it works "most of the time", not "all" the time. I've had issues answering calls this way and is frustrating for everyone involved. Opening the slider to go into speaker phone sounded rather easy, but maybe it isn't.
    What about adding a touchstone to the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    When I have it plugged into a car radio cassette adapter, mine will go into speaker phone mode most of the time. I have no problem hearing the person I'm calling and I haven't had any comments that I sound odd.
    my experience as well. The nic and speaker are good enough while driving. If you happen to use an audio out, simply answering a call puts it on speaker phone.
  8.    #8  
    Ok, I get it. I see where this is going. Thanks for the input. The problem for me is that with the van, if my radio doesn't have constant input from the Pre it displays "No AUX" and refuses to pick up a call. Buying a Touchstone is yet more money. I thought this was a rather simple idea, guess I was wrong. Thanks all the same for your input.
    Quote Originally Posted by animalhouseusa View Post
    What about adding a touchstone to the car.

How would a battery charger help with answering the phone?????

This seems to be a reasonable request, isn't the whole point of the webOS development forum is to suggest ideas for new apps/tweaks? The OP didn't ask for alternative ways to answer his phone(with bluetooth or speaker in car)

Suggesting a cassette adapter isn't helpful as most newer cars don't have cassettes anymore.

And, at least for me, unless I have the bluetooth enabled on my phone,AND the bluetooth device powered on,AND connected to my phone AND connected to my ear before the car moves, that is too many steps to complete when driving. (I am also in NY).....

I see this guy's point, grabbing the phone and sliding it open with one hand and it answers the call in speaker mode seems like it would be easy......
  10.    #10  
    Hey HealthyMommy, thanks for seeing it my way. I know people are trying to help, but really what was offered wasn't really what I was looking for. I was looking for someone to come up with an app/tweak for my Pre, instead I'm encouraged to spend more money on more things. Maybe it's a NYS thing, although LoserP is from Rochester, probably Pittsford...
  11. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by smerk16717 View Post
    a tweak that would allow the Pre to go right into speaker mode when slid open to answer a call?
    What a great idea! I personally use a BT in my truck (because the speaker volume SUCKS) but I agree that something as simple as "slide open to answer" and have it automatically answer in speakerphone mode is useful. Should be a piece of cake for these guys.

"I'd buy that for a dollar." -gameshow host in RoboCop
    yea they have a patch to hang up when it slides **** so maybe rewrite that or have an extra button pop up when they call for speaker
  13.    #13  
    It seems rather easy, but with no development experience I can't say for sure. It sounds strange but it's the one thing I miss from my old Katana days. You could just hit the speaker button to answer calls. Simple.
    I'd love that! That speaker phone button is illusive some days, and plain stubborn on other days. I'd love to be able to slide it open to speaker.

I have this $18 big lots item I've had for years tho --- speaker that plugs into your cigarette lighter. It's bluetooth connected, and works pretty well for me.

But I'd rather have the speaker phone, that's for sure.
  15.    #15  
    Yeah, I'm not even sure who to approach on this site to see if it's possible. I look at some of the other patch/tweak requests and this one seems rather straight forward by comparison.
    Last edited by smerk16717; 11/04/2009 at 01:35 PM.
    I too would love to have the option to answer to speaker phone. The speaker phone works well in my car but it's a hassle and quite slow to activate when you're answering the phone. I've been looking into writing the patch myself but haven't had any luck getting it to work. I hadn't thought of the slide to speaker option though... that might be easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by healthymommy View Post
    How would a battery charger help with answering the phone?????

This seems to be a reasonable request, isn't the whole point of the webOS development forum is to suggest ideas for new apps/tweaks? The OP didn't ask for alternative ways to answer his phone(with bluetooth or speaker in car)

Suggesting a cassette adapter isn't helpful as most newer cars don't have cassettes anymore.

And, at least for me, unless I have the bluetooth enabled on my phone,AND the bluetooth device powered on,AND connected to my phone AND connected to my ear before the car moves, that is too many steps to complete when driving. (I am also in NY).....

I see this guy's point, grabbing the phone and sliding it open with one hand and it answers the call in speaker mode seems like it would be easy......
    Just to clarify. When you answer a call with the phone on the touchstone it automatically is in speaker mode. So most likely if someone smart enough notices this thread it should be a rather simple patch since the code is already in the phone.
    Actually, it was very simple to make the slider open into speaker mode. I won't be able to make the .patch file until later, but all I did was add one line of code. It was way easier to do than what I was originally trying, providing an option to go to speaker on the incoming call screen.

In the file /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.phone/app/controllers/controllers/incomingcall-assistant.jsjsjs, $you$'$ll$ $find$ $the$ $code$ $shown$ $below$ $at$ $line$ $326$. $Add$ $the$ $line$ $shown$ $in$ $blue$ $to$ $make$ $the$ $phone$ $switch$ $to$ $speaker$ $mode$ $when$ $you$ $answer$ $with$ $the$ $slider$.

Code:
    	onSliderEvent: function(response) {
    		if (response && response.key && response.state) {
    			QDLogger.log( "IncomingcallAssistant#onSliderEvent", response.key  , response.state);
    		} else {
    			return;
    		}

if (response.key === "slider") {
    			var newSliderOpenState = (response.state === "up");
    			if (this.exposed
    				&& this.sliderOpen === false 
    				&& newSliderOpenState === true) {
    					this.answerCall();
    					TelephonyCommands.setAudioScenario("phone_back_speaker");
    			}
    			this.sliderOpen = newSliderOpenState
    		} 
    	},
    I'll post the .patch file later today.
    Ah heck... why wait?

Using WebOS Quick Install, just drop the attached .patch file on the main window to mod your phone so when you answer the phone by opening the slider, it'll immediately go to speaker phone mode.

I'll submit it to the WebOS-Internals feed soon too.

EDIT: Removed this patch file which didn't work when the phone was locked. A more complete solution is posted farther down the thread.
    Last edited by ALuckyGuy; 11/08/2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Removed incomplete patch.
  20.    #20  
    Hey! wtgreen, thanks! You've reaffirmed my faith in the power of this forum.... Amazing! Although I have one question: doesn't this patch make it permanent that using the slider when a call comes in always makes it go to speaker? Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, just now that I know it's feasible for this idea to work, wondering if it can be refined further? Is it possible to develop an on/off toggle switch icon on the launch screen that would put the phone into "slide answer" mode only? This way when you get in the car, you could flick it on and have it set for as long as you're driving, but be able to flick it off when you get where you are going.
    Don't get me wrong, if your patch goes no farther then it is right now, it's still greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast