Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Works great!
  2.    #42  
    Looking at grndslms' post makes me now wonder if it is at all possible to make the center button function to answer a call in speaker mode. I understand that it is usually dedicated to limited tasks, but is it able to be redirected in its' function when the phone rings? As a side note, I think having the volume rocker function as a way to answer a call might not work all that well. I have a habit of pressing one of those buttons now as I pull my Pre out of my case, successfully silencing my ringer. I'd be afraid that I would be automatically answering calls, whether or not I want to answer the call. Don't get me wrong, totally digging the whole button answer idea... again, this is all GREAT!
    I never said center button. I was referring to the "utility" button that has been on all other Palms. Nearly every cell phone has a button right below the rocker switch, which would be no brainer for things that it's done on previous phones (speakerphone in call app, play/pause music from any app not just music, taking pictures with camera, etc.).

And yea, I was just thinking about using the volume rocker to silence the ringer and stop the vibrator. Luckily, there's still the power button!!
  4.    #44  
    I never thought you meant the center button, that was me just wishful thinking.
    Oh, durr... yea, guess I read that wrong.

I guess the center button could work too. Three hardware buttons to choose from. Any of them would work better than what we have now for answering with speakerphone while driving.

When someone calls while the phone's off. . .
    - the power button sends the call straight to VM
    - the ringer button silences the ringer, stops the vibrator
    - the center button does nothing

When someone calls while the phone's on. . .
    - the power button sends the call straight to VM
    - the ringer button silences the ringer, stops the vibrator
    - the center button silences the ringer, stops the vibrator AND allows you to do what you were doing before.

I guess since this is really for when you're driving and the phone will be off/locked... the center button is really the only way to go. Just don't change the center button's functionality while the screen is on!
  6.    #46  
    I would think that if it was a one time event only when the phone is ringing, wouldn't it be possible to bypass any other functions of the center button and have it answer in speaker mode? So long as the phone was ringing?
    My only issue with the center button is that I'm afraid it might get activated accidentally when my phone is in my pocket. Though it may not be that bad, but that's why I like the rocker idea better myself. I don't use a case myself anymore either. I used to though so I understand the issue of hitting it accidentally while getting the phone out.

I haven't had any time to work on it yet this weekend, but I'll try and explore our possibilities when I do. If anything, this conversation makes it clear we need some options, and making it configurable would be best of all. That may be above my head though with my very limited skills on this platform.
  8.    #48  
    Good point with the center button being hit accidentally. Could it be set up as a double tap or long hold option? The other question is, if we are getting into deeper waters then any of our skill sets can handle, then who on this forum might be willing to lend a helping hand?
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I guess since this is really for when you're driving and the phone will be off/locked... the center button is really the only way to go. Just don't change the center button's functionality while the screen is on!
    I actually usually have my phone mounted in my car with the slider *open*. That allows me to just touch the center button to activate the screen and not fool with the lock screen ... mostly so I can see what song/artist is playing on Pandora . I actually tweaked this patch a little further so that it goes to speakerphone when you *close* the slider ... not intuitive, but works perfectly for how I use the Pre in my car.

So, not to quash the creativity or the continued programming efforts here, but I'm pretty happy (and very grateful) the way it is, and not really understanding what the problem with using the slider is (maybe someone could 'splain it to me)? Seems like a nice solution to me ... an obvious, pretty intuitive physical "switch". And, you still have the "soft" option (in every case I could think of) to answer to the "normal" phone (as well as the existing switches to ignore the call).

Carry on ...
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    So, not to quash the creativity or the continued programming efforts here, but I'm pretty happy (and very grateful) the way it is, and not really understanding what the problem with using the slider is (maybe someone could 'splain it to me)?
    ... because it's very difficult to make a tweaker happy? Honestly, the slider patch works great, but I just like the idea of pressing a physical button better. No need to move the slider more often than necessary from my point of view!

Soo... now that I'm trying to understand how the hard buttons work as it is... it appears that one press of the power button does *not* send the caller to VM right away, like I'd originally stated. Two presses of the power button do that, but not one. Perhaps this is due to a patch I installed last night, but I'm not positive really. So possibly, power could still be used to silence ringer/vibrator (or to send straight to VM with one more tap), and the volume rocker could be used for activating the call in speakerphone mode.

Or we could just do a double tap or long hold of the center button, like smerk suggested. Or, heck, even a double tap or long hold of the volume rocker!! There are more possibilities than I realized.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    So, not to quash the creativity or the continued programming efforts here, but I'm pretty happy (and very grateful) the way it is, and not really understanding what the problem with using the slider is (maybe someone could 'splain it to me)?
    Also, I'd prefer to use the slider to just answer normally.

Slider initiates the call & ends the call normally. Tap the volume rocker [or maybe power button, too?] to silence the ringer/vibrator. Hold the volume rocker for 1-2 seconds to initiate speakerphone call.

That sounds like a pretty reasonable setup, if ya ask me.
    An update...

I'm focusing on the rocker switch for now because, as grndslm noted, one press of the power button silences the ringer just like the rocker switch so there's no real loss of functionality. And after some mild digging around I didn't find the info I needed for the center led that I needed, though I plan on providing that as an option too.

I have the rocker switch working, except it doesn't unlock the phone even though it answers in speaker mode. It's kind of odd functionally even if it's not terrible, so now I'm looking for a way to force it out of it's locked state, which is something the slider already does "for free".
    Sweet!!

I'm sure it can't be too hard to get the rocker switch to unlock the phone. I'd still like holding the volume rocker to initiate the speakerphone call... but hey, beggars can't be choosers! I really need to learn how to program.
    Hey I just noticed this message thread, I think I might like to use this as well but I have one question.

If we have the patch install that hangs up the phone when you close the slider does that need to be removed before using this patch.

Or can both patches be installed at the same time?

Since one is a close and one is an open?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

To cast my preference, I like the volume key to do this. And you could do one thing with the volume up button and other thing with the volume down button.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    Sweet!!

I'm sure it can't be too hard to get the rocker switch to unlock the phone. I'd still like holding the volume rocker to initiate the speakerphone call... but hey, beggars can't be choosers!
    Holding the button is a lot harder because it involves a timer, and not something I've seen an example of yet with a WebOS app. Also, this thread started as a means to make switching the phone to speaker easier while driving, and having to hold a button while the phone is likely sitting in a dash mount is more distracting than at least what I'm after. Not to mention I've got a 16 year old with a Pre that's 3 weeks away from having her license, so I'm doing this as much for her as for myself.
    Last edited by ALuckyGuy; 11/08/2009 at 10:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Hey I just noticed this message thread, I think I might like to use this as well but I have one question.

If we have the patch install that hangs up the phone when you close the slider does that need to be removed before using this patch.

Or can both patches be installed at the same time?

Since one is a close and one is an open?
    Looking at the .patch file from the close slider thread, they don't appear to interfere. You should be able to have both installed without problem.
    Hmm... from a variety of other threads the consensus seems to be that Palm has not provided an API call to access the center button. Strange, but it appears to be the case. So that idea is out.

Now if I can just figure out how to make the rocker switch unlock the phone. May not be so easy as it looks like the code that controls default slider and power button behavior - and that does the unlocking - is part of luna, for which we have no source code. Darn... hope I'm wrong but it might not be possible.
  19.    #59  
    I agree with grndslm, a physical button would be nice. Although I'm still partial to a nice big friendly button or toggle switch on the screen that allows the slider option to be turned on and off as needed. davis.rob is good with the patch applying it once and having the "slider to speaker" function set permanently. I have a hard time with that way because that takes away my option to open the phone and talk through the headset without having to hit the button to change it back from speaker to headset. I guess anything is better then what we have at the moment. Is the on-screen toggle idea dead or just shelved at the moment?
    Quote Originally Posted by smerk16717 View Post
    I'm still partial to a nice big friendly button or toggle switch on the screen that allows the slider option to be turned on and off as needed. Is the on-screen toggle idea dead or just shelved at the moment?
    Just on the back burner until I give up or solve the problem of unlocking the phone with the volume key. I'd like the key itself to be configurable and I have some more research to do to do it right.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast