Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smerk16717 View Post
    Is it possible to develop an on/off toggle switch icon on the launch screen that would put the phone into "slide answer" mode only? This way when you get in the car, you could flick it on and have it set for as long as you're driving, but be able to flick it off when you get where you are going.
    Yes that is possible, I'm just not sure if it's possible by me. I'd prefer a toggle myself even though I don't otherwise answer with the slider, and really I'd prefer the incoming call screen to simply present a speaker phone choice. I'll probably keep working on the latter like I was before I found this thread, and I'll definitely post back if I get a better solution. I'm not too capable here though as I'm new to javascript and CSS, so don't get your hopes up.
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    Using WebOS Quick Install, just drop the attached .patch file on the main window to mod your phone so when you answer the phone by opening the slider, it'll immediately go to speaker phone mode.
    This is awesome ... I was just looking at the code to see if I could figure this out.

The other thing I would like is to have the phone go to speaker mode if the slider is *already* open and you click the answer button. I have the Pre mounted in my car and leave the slider open so I can turn on the screen by just touching the center button.

So, I'm assuming this patch doesn't do that? Looking at the code, I think that would need to be done in the activecall-assistant.jsjsjs ... $somewhere$ $around$ $where$ $it$ $checks$ $for$ &$quot$;$OnPuck$&$quot$;. $Is$ $there$ $an$ $easy$ $way$ $to$ $tell$ $if$ $the$ $slider$ $is$ $open$ ($not$ $an$ $event$ $when$ $it$ $opens$)? $I$'$m$ $still$ $very$ $new$ $to$ $this$ $and$ $not$ $familiar$ $with$ $the$ $APIs$ ... $so$ $any$ $help$ $would$ $be$ $much$ $appreciated$.
    I'm not sure, but you may be able to do that at the end of the answerCall function by checking to see if this.sliderOpen === true then enabling the back speaker. It should work, but reading the code I'm not totally clear on the sliderOpen var initialization. Easy to try though.
    Thanks, but it looks to me like this.sliderOpen is just recorded as part of the slider open event. I found a bit of code to fetch the slider position in the patch which ends a call by sliding closed. So, I might try that.

But, I think I actually like your original idea best ... a big button that says "Speaker" on the incoming call screen. I might try to poke around a bit on that ... let me know if you make any progress.
    gr8 idea...u guys know that when u install these .patch files thru qi but they're not on preware yet u can still uninstall them thru preware
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

6.    #26  
    Big speaker button would be just as good.
    Last edited by smerk16717; 11/07/2009 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by davis.rob View Post
    Thanks, but it looks to me like this.sliderOpen is just recorded as part of the slider open event.
    However its initialized to false at start and its state changes on open and close, and I think that the slider event triggers even when the phone app isn't active, thus maintaining its state. If so, you should be able to rely on the sliderOpen var. But of course you'll have to try it to be sure.
    Just wanted to add that I tried the slide-to-speakerphone patch and it works great. I realized that I could use it even if the phone was already open ... just slide closed/open and we're on speakerphone! A nice, physical gesture that's pretty easy to do while driving.

Having a "speaker" button on the answer dialog is actually problematic, because you only get that if the Pre is awake or the slider open. 99% of the time you probably get the "Drag up to answer" lock screen, and it won't do you any good there (different path in the code I believe).

Thanks for the patch ... I think it's just what I need for now.
    Just wanted to add that I tried the slide-to-speakerphone patch and it works great. I realized that I could use it even if the phone was already open ... just slide closed/open and we're on speakerphone! A nice, physical gesture that's pretty easy to do while driving.

Having a "speaker" button on the answer dialog is actually problematic, because you only get that if the Pre is awake or the slider open. 99% of the time you probably get the "Drag up to answer" lock screen, and it won't do you any good there (different path in the code I believe).

Thanks for the patch ... I think it's just what I need for now.
    Good point...but how cool would it be if you could drag a separate lock DOWN from the top of the screen for speaker answer? Im guessing not possible, but would be nice.
    Just a follow up on the patch ... it doesn't seem to work for me if the Pre is in sleep/lock mode. It answers but doesn't go to speaker phone. Not sure if it's just me or a problem in the patch (or intentional).

Looking at the code, I suspect it may be failing on the 'this.exposed' condition, with the slider event getting here before the screen is fully unlocked ... but that's just a guess.

For my phone, since I drive with the screen open and actually want it to answer when I close it too, I just got rid of all the conditional code in that (response.key === "slider") section. My version of incomingcall-assistant.jsjsjs $now$ $looks$ $like$ $this$:

Code:
    	onSliderEvent: function(response) {
    		if (response && response.key && response.state) {
    			QDLogger.log( "IncomingcallAssistant#onSliderEvent", response.key  , response.state);
    		} else {
    			return;
    		}

if (response.key === "slider") {
    			var newSliderOpenState = (response.state === "up");
    			this.answerCall();
    			TelephonyCommands.setAudioScenario("phone_back_speaker");
    			this.sliderOpen = newSliderOpenState
    		} 
    	},
    My knowledge is limited, so I'm not sure if it's "dangerous" to ignore that 'this.exposed' property or not. But this works for me ... my phone answers in speaker mode whenever I move the slider, whether it's asleep/locked or not. Since you always have the option of answering non-speaker mode by dragging the "lock" or tapping the "answer" button, I think that's pretty flexible.
    Doesn't work for me either, at least not when the screen is off.
    For my phone, since I drive with the screen open and actually want it to answer when I close it too, I just got rid of all the conditional code in that (response.key === "slider") section.
    After further review ... doesn't look like this is quite the right solution either. It allows a slider action to turn on speaker mode even after the call has been answered (and maybe even before a call comes in). Hopefully someone else knows more than me ... preferably a lot more
    Thanks for the feedback davis.rob. I apparently haven't answered a call when it was locked yet, and of course I agree that's not quite what we were after. I'll poke around a bit tonight and see if I can figure out how we can accomplish what we'd like.
  14. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Great that you did this! Hopefully you find a way to make it work while in sleep mode when a call comes in. Thanks guys.
    Ok, I think I've got it. This patch not only allows the slider to answer the call to speakerphone regardless of whether the phone is asleep, it will not switch the call to speakerphone if opening the slider once the call is engaged.

Here's what the code looks like now:
    Code:
    	onSliderEvent: function(response) {
    		if (response && response.key && response.state) {
    			QDLogger.log( "IncomingcallAssistant#onSliderEvent", response.key  , response.state);
    		} else {
    			return;
    		}

if (response.key === "slider") {
    			var newSliderOpenState = (response.state === "up");
    			if (this.sliderOpen === false 
    				&& newSliderOpenState === true) {
    				// Customized: Modified to answer call to speaker phone with slider. 
    				if (this.exposed) {   
    					// Here the phone is unlocked when the slider is engaged.
    					this.answerCall(); 
    				} else if ( this.appAssistant.telephonyEventListener.incomingCallExists() ) {
    					// Here the phone was locked when the slider unlocked it and the call
    					// was answered already by the onLockedStatusEvent procedure.
    				}
    			}
    			this.sliderOpen = newSliderOpenState
    		} 
    	},
    I haven't tested this when using a PIN to unlock though. It probably tries to set enable the speaker before the call is answered and I'm not sure what that will do. I'm guessing nothing but I'll play with it some more later before I post the patch to the feed.

For those who would like to try this beforehand though, here's the .patch file. If you've already applied the patch, you'll need to uninstall it before applying this version.

If you try it, let me know how it works.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    NICE!!

I would've been content with a hardware "utility" button right below the volume up/down keys like all other Palms have had before. Don't understand why they dropped that (probly that "one button" mentality that rubbed off from the Apple guys ). Much better to use that utility button for taking a picture in the camera app than trying to push a virtual button in such an awkward position.... and enabling/disabling speakerphone after you've slid the phone open... and pausing/playing music while in another app.

Oh well... seems that software really is the key.
    Quote Originally Posted by wtgreen View Post
    If you try it, let me know how it works.
    I installed it and tried all of the basic tests - slide open while locked, slide open while unlocked, and slide open with pin to unlock - they all went right to speakerphone. Also verified that any sort of "soft" answer - tap answer button, or drag to unlock - goes to "normal" answer.

My limited QD says it works Nice work ... muchas gracias.
    You know grndslm's post got me thinking... Maybe I'd prefer to answer using the volume rocker. I never turn my ringer volume up or down *while* the phone is ringing. I'm going to look into using that as my speaker phone button when I get some time this weekend.
    Score! That's brilliant.
    Learning as you go... just like 2 guys in a garage many moons ago..
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast