Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by socca1157 View Post
    Well I meant average Pre users, someone not on PreCentral. So this won't really help developers.
    I agree. However this is the case with all patches and apps presented here.

I wasn't offering this idea as a 'solution' but more as an interesting little thing that shows that better performance IS possible
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    The ability of apps to trigger a gc when they want would make LOTS of games run better.
    Run a "small" gc when you launch a new ball, etc.

Get rid of the randomness.
    so how can we delete this patch if its needed??

PS ; what is the flag for anyways ?? I mean why is it there if it is not needed and slows the phone down ???
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Im an "average" user. Just installed this, Ill update if I notice anything go wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    so how can we delete this patch if its needed??

PS ; what is the flag for anyways ?? I mean why is it there if it is not needed and slows the phone down ???
    The same way you installed, though WOSQI =).

When installed, g to quick install, tools>Device management (With Pre connected). Choose patches from the drop down menu and choose the patch you wish to uninstall and itll remove.

Alternatively it should also be able to be removed through preware.
    Trying this on my 1.1.3 Pre, not sure if itll work because of the older OS but heck =P. Thanks for the patch.
    Just installed. Havent noticed much if any difference, animations are slightly more fluid?

Not sure this patch is even installed, got some HUNK line 61 error????

Then said something was moved to browser.conf.rej????

Is there a log file which i can access in Quick install? Cant seem to be able to remove the patch in quick install either.
    Just another average user, I'll give it a try and see if I notice anything.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I ended up removing this was getting too many out of memory errors/throw cards away with it (especially when listening to podcasts using drpodder)
    -m
    Definite memory leak with this patch. I had it give me the too many cards error with only SMS and Music Remix open, and I have the other two patches installed from Diomark. Hadnt got that error since I installed those two patches until now, only a few hours after installing this patch.

On the good side, I did notice playing Wabbithunt was much smoother.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    I haven't got any errors and I've used DrPodder pretty extensively.
    I have been getting some out of memory errors since I installed this. Thought it was strange considering I had done the memory tweaks and tested 28 apps open at once without getting that error before. I'm gonna remove it, but it definitely did what it promised to do, make animations smoother. Maybe instead of turning it off you could adjust some of the parameters and lessen the memory effects.
    You people are crazy mucking around with this stuff. Removing GC to improve performance...hilarious.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    why?
    Why? Because garbage collection is the process that reclaims unused memory.

Yes, it will cause some lag, but without it apps will run out of memory. This is not a "leak", it's a central feature.

It's like yanking the radiator from your car because it's heavy. Tinkering is fine, but it seems totally random in this case and now it's distributed with WOSQI.
    can this be added to preware?
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sivan View Post
    Why? Because garbage collection is the process that reclaims unused memory.

Yes, it will cause some lag, but without it apps will run out of memory. This is not a "leak", it's a central feature.

It's like yanking the radiator from your car because it's heavy. Tinkering is fine, but it seems totally random in this case and now it's distributed with WOSQI.
    My understanding is that this flag determines the V8 garbage collection scheme. By default, V8 will perform incremental garbage collections on allocations up to a certain limit, then it will perform a full "stop the world" global GC. Palm set this flag so that V8 always performs global GC's.

See: flag-definitions.h - v8 - Project Hosting on Google Code
    heap.cc - v8 - Project Hosting on Google Code

But, frankly, with this tweak (as with many others) we are stabbing in the dark. Only Palm knows the system impact of changing the GC scheme.

EDIT: To go completely off topic, a better car analogy (!) would be like ripping out the battery after the car is started because it is heavy. Sure, it'll run, just don't stop the engine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    I've had this on since the patch has been posted and have had absolutely no memory leak issues, or slowdowns of any kinda. Not sure about these other people though.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12