Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    So I am preparing a new Palm Pre app which I will charge for. My question is - after the customer pays for my app - and when I release new versions of the app in the future. Do most developers charge for new versions of the app OR do they give the new versions away for free to any of the customers who purchased the app originally?

Please advise.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    no
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    No, charging for updates is pretty shady. One assumes that when you purchase an app, updates are included. The only time I'd be willing to pay for an update is if it's some MAJOR change, even then, it'd have to be something pretty big for me to not feel ripped off.
    I agree with the other comments charging to update is like a slap in the face to those who bought the original app versus those who waited and got a better version
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    No, charging for updates is pretty shady. One assumes that when you purchase an app, updates are included. The only time I'd be willing to pay for an update is if it's some MAJOR change, even then, it'd have to be something pretty big for me to not feel ripped off.

Amen.
    No!
    definitely not. Unless it's a 'rewrite from scratch' 2.0 version maybe.
    The only time I would ever charge for an update to a paid app would be if there were so many new/updated features that its virtually a whole new product, and in that case, it'd probably make more sense to just make a separate new app.

For virtually every update other update, I'd definitely say no. Though for the majority of app updates (especially what ppl have told me is on the app catalog), it only makes sense for those to be free
    Let me put it this way, YOU CAN'T. By that, I mean, Palm won't allow it. This is for good reason. First, the logistics of flipping an app from a purchased to require and upgrade price is not even done in the Apple Store. The only legitimate way is to have a huge update and release a whole new product in the App Catalog.

You are being paid for updates by the continued sales of your app. If you don't get continued sales, then your updates slow and you focus on something else.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Agreed with most here:

so you release APP 1.0....all updates from APP 1.0.1 through APP 1.9 should be free.
    Now you can release a new version of the same app called APP 2.0 ...this, YES you should charge for as it would be a whole new app.
    Charging for updates isn't normally done, but it is okay to charge for major releases.

However, what is 'right' and what is 'wrong' is dictated by the vendor, IMHO, and the response of the customers. If people don't want to pay for the updates, they won't and probably wouldn't pay for releases, so it's a revenue stream question. Most folks look at updates as bug fixes or minor feature increases.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    As some others have touched one...

Updates (minor/micro): No charge
    Upgrades (major): Yes charge

I would expect upgrades to include new features, improvements on existing features, a new look, etc etc.
    If you charge for updates? What happens if people dont want to pay? They keep an old version? That would suck

By applying good updates to your product, more people will recommend it and it will receive better reviews, thus creating more customers and it will pay til itself
    The only way I'd see paying for an "Update" would be if it wasn't a patch in the sense of fixing bugs and adding features which fit with making the program more useful/usable

Instead if it was an "Update" like an expansion pack, not only does it add another whole set of features independent in itself but combines nicely with your application, basically a new application which fits alongside the old.
    Logistically, the only legal way to sell apps for WebOS (if you agree to the terms to use the Palm SDK) is in the App Catalog.

The only way to have a user pay and a new version is to release it as a completely new application in the App Catalog. If you intend for this to be an upgrade for your existing users, you are also enabling new users to buy that version for that same amount.

There isn't really an idea of different pricing of new vs. upgrade. This may come in the future and I think it is a good idea. If you initially sell it at $2.99 and now with the changes make it good enough to sell at $4.99. It would be great to allow others to upgrade for $2. What will really happen is those that were early supporters get the upgrade for free. Most users would probably pay the $2 upgrade, but there is no way to charge that. All others will now have to pay $4.99 to jump on the bandwagon.

You might be able to sell many before the price jump by announcing that the new features will raise the price to $4.99, but be a free upgrade if you buy now. This happens a bunch in the Apple App Store.
    Your Pre wants Word Whirl from the App Catalog.

It told me.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    If I find the update is worth paying for (major change) I'd pay up otherwise I'd stick to the original.

quicken is notorious for charging for the new "updated" version of their software and I usually bypass the upgrade until they "force" you into buying the new ver (change format handling)
    Quote Originally Posted by sacherjj View Post
    Logistically, the only legal way to sell apps for WebOS (if you agree to the terms to use the Palm SDK) is in the App Catalog.
    Actually that's not quite accurate up to recent announcements by Palm http://www.precentral.net/easy-and-o...heres-platform