Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Just wondering if anyone is working on something similar.

I currently have a USB based OBD2 cable that I currently use with "VAG-Com" and my laptop to scan our OBD2 VW's. Just curious if anyone is working or has knowledge of a company working on even a generic OBD2 scanner for webOS.

Seams to be a decent idea if webOS is ever going to grow, combined with the integrated USB connection. This software would function with more "generic" OBD2 connectors and not require a proprietary cable to connect to the device as it has with previous Palm based (or other OS) portable devices.
    There have been a couple of discussion about this already, but they haven't really gone anywhere.

One guy had PalmOS software and a palm connector to USB adapter and wanted to get it working through classic. I don't think he ever reported back, but there's pretty much no chance of it working.

There was also a post about doing something like this which referenced a particular piece of software, and the original developer actually chimed in and said that he couldn't release a Pre app for it until Palm released an SDK that would allow him to properly protect his source code.

The real problem is that the target market for something like this is VERY small. The vast majority of people probably don't even know what OBDII is, and most certainly couldn't tell you were to find the connector in their car.
    Your right, most people are idiots
    Quote Originally Posted by nightmare351w View Post
    Your right, most people are idiots
    Well, while I do happen to think that most people are idiots, that's a separate topic.

All I'm saying here is that most people don't know. There's no reason for the average person to know about the on-board diagnostics in their car, given the fact that most people these days don't keep the necessary tools to do anything more than change the oil and spark plugs on a car made in the last 15 years. (OBDII has been around since what, 1995?)
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    Well, while I do happen to think that most people are idiots, that's a separate topic.
    Really? I find idiocy to be extremely situational.

I think if you wrap the connector into some sort of car usage monitor, like some of the new parental control packages out there for teen drivers, you might be surprised at the market.

By the way, how about a bluetooth connection vs. an actual physical one. Some sort of dongle might go a long way to broadening the audience.

It's all in the presentation...
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post

I think if you wrap the connector into some sort of car usage monitor, like some of the new parental control packages out there for teen drivers, you might be surprised at the market.

By the way, how about a bluetooth connection vs. an actual physical one. Some sort of dongle might go a long way to broadening the audience.

That was what actually sparked my curiosity. I can understand why the older PDA versions hadn't caught mass market.... and I truly do understand why a VW specific version is a SMALL market.

But when it comes to Auto PC's and other devices (including advanced car audio decks that are not Auto PC devices) there has been a large advance in OBD2 integration at various levels. I know being this integrated in a phone is a step forward, I have thus far been impressed in what the Pre can handle and being linux based....... it isn't completely unthinkable as far as I am concerned since other than GUI the actual "code" would be useable over multiple linux based platforms.

Regardless thanks for the input from everyone. Hopefully this will go somewhere one way or another, webOS is very young and if it continues to develop as I am sure we all hope I am sure this could be a reality. Then again I am a big freaking geek and prior to webOS fully appreciated the abilities and community when it comes to linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post

Interesting idea, and I agree about the presentation issue.

Out of curiosity, do you know how much usable power comes out on the OBDII connector? I know there is 'some' power there because the code reader I have doesn't have any batteries and get's it's power from the port.

If somebody was to create a self contained BT dongle that could plug into the OBDII port, would the port be able to power it by itself?
    I've got an OBDII app on my Treo 650
    'OBD gauge' and it's a GNU app (so someone may update it for WebOS if original author doesn't)

see

www . qcontinuum . org /obdgauge/index.htm

I don't use a cable to connect as I've got a Car Pal bluetooth adapter that plugs into the car.

unfortunately domain car-pal.net seems to be gone, as is vitalengineering.co.uk
    where I bought it. (but there must be more of these type of thing about)

If the Classic PalmOS emulator has proper access to serial or bluetooth, then maybe this s/w would run on Pre.
    I would be interested in it... I could stop pestering my neighbor to borrow his ODBII scanner

BTW, VeeDubb65 and OldSkoolVWLover on a smartphone forum... what are the chances of that?
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post
    I would be interested in it... I could stop pestering my neighbor to borrow his ODBII scanner

BTW, VeeDubb65 and OldSkoolVWLover on a smartphone forum... what are the chances of that?
    LOL. I didn't even notice his name, and yes, my name refers to the same thing that his OBVIOUSLY refers to. Just more specific for me. My first car was a 1965 VW Beetle. 6v electrical system, 1200cc engine, and a heater that rarely ever worked.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrHeathenScum View Post

LOLs there's a few of us around here.

There's a cat that did a MK5 GTI theme..... at my request he did a few standard VW logo boot screens as well.... cool stuff, even if you aren't super into the newer VW's I dig the color scheme of his theme and it replaces some of the general icons with a VW (like the lock and launcher icons).

One of the things about true VW people.... you can find us anywhere, I am one of those that was born and raised with VWs. We pop up all over the place.

On topic I understand you pestering your neighbor.... I have a good friend whose car I scanned multiple times while diagnosing some issues, would have been nice to be able to just have the Pre and cable instead of having to everytime bring out the laptop just to check the codes. Especially since when I was outta wifi range with the laptop he would check the codes I pulled with his iphone (would be great to pull the codes and check em all with the pre ).
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac_Byrne View Post
    I've got an OBDII app on my Treo 650
    'OBD gauge' and it's a GNU app (so someone may update it for WebOS if original author doesn't)

see

www . qcontinuum . org /obdgauge/index.htm

I don't use a cable to connect as I've got a Car Pal bluetooth adapter that plugs into the car.

unfortunately domain car-pal.net seems to be gone, as is vitalengineering.co.uk
    where I bought it. (but there must be more of these type of thing about)

If the Classic PalmOS emulator has proper access to serial or bluetooth, then maybe this s/w would run on Pre.
    Nice good info and this seams to be going in the right direction.... hopefully somebody with enough skill and time sees this and decides to take a crack at something. This is most def not me as I have not attempted to program anything in the last 10ish years and don't have the time even if I had the ability to attempt something like this.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I currently have a USB based OBD2 cable that I currently use with "VAG-Com" and my laptop to scan our OBD2 VW's. Just curious if anyone is working or has knowledge of a company working on even a generic OBD2 scanner for webOS.
    I can tell you that the owner of VAG-COM was carrying an iPhone the last time that I saw him, so you would probably see an app from him on that platform long before the Pre.

The problem is that the current SDK does not expose low-level hardware like the USB port or Bluetooth to the user interface. Combine this with VW's use of wacky non-standard baud rates that present a challenge for even cheap PC-based interface cables that don't use a more complex buffer box, and I don't see it coming to a Pre near you any time soon...at least with a < $100 interface cable. There are companies that are currently selling Bluetooth and even WiFi dongles that plug onto an OBD-II port, but I have no idea if they are OBD-II only or if they also support the VW-specific CAN stuff as well at the hardware level.

If you're looking for just OBD-II, here's a few interesting web sites that I just found:

OBDKey. OBD Bluetooth and OBD USB Products.

Auto Mobile - OBD software for cell phones

The first one sells BT/WiFi/USB dongles, and the second one sells a cheap OBD-II scanner that runs on many different Java cell phones. I doubt it will run on the Pre without shutting down the GUI, but I'm not following webos-internals any more to know if anything has changed recently.

My personal solution to this problem is a Sony Vaio handheld PC that I picked up. It is the size of a larger digital camera, runs Windows Vista, and has a stylus-based touchscreen. I installed VAG-COM on it last spring, but never actually used it because my VAG-COM interface cable is RS-232 and the Vaio only has a USB port. I have since picked up a USB-to-serial adapter dongle, and am thinking that I should go outside right now to see if it will actually communicate with one of my cars since it's the perfect glovebox-sized scan tool solution if it does.

On the VW front, I'm sure that y'all can figure out where my screen name here comes from as well. I have owned a Rabbit, 16V and VR6 GTI's, and currently have two Audi TT's and a Formula Vee open-wheel race car (1915cc aircooled) in my driveway.....
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Also a VW junkie but of the new variety (03 TDI Jetta). I would also love to find a portable OBDII, not just for the VW crowd either.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I can tell you that the owner of VAG-COM was carrying an iPhone the last time that I saw him, so you would probably see an app from him on that platform long before the Pre.

The problem is that the current SDK does not expose low-level hardware like the USB port or Bluetooth to the user interface. Combine this with VW's use of wacky non-standard baud rates that present a challenge for even cheap PC-based interface cables that don't use a more complex buffer box, and I don't see it coming to a Pre near you any time soon...at least with a < $100 interface cable. There are companies that are currently selling Bluetooth and even WiFi dongles that plug onto an OBD-II port, but I have no idea if they are OBD-II only or if they also support the VW-specific CAN stuff as well at the hardware level.

If you're looking for just OBD-II, here's a few interesting web sites that I just found:

OBDKey. OBD Bluetooth and OBD USB Products.

Auto Mobile - OBD software for cell phones

The first one sells BT/WiFi/USB dongles, and the second one sells a cheap OBD-II scanner that runs on many different Java cell phones. I doubt it will run on the Pre without shutting down the GUI, but I'm not following webos-internals any more to know if anything has changed recently.

My personal solution to this problem is a Sony Vaio handheld PC that I picked up. It is the size of a larger digital camera, runs Windows Vista, and has a stylus-based touchscreen. I installed VAG-COM on it last spring, but never actually used it because my VAG-COM interface cable is RS-232 and the Vaio only has a USB port. I have since picked up a USB-to-serial adapter dongle, and am thinking that I should go outside right now to see if it will actually communicate with one of my cars since it's the perfect glovebox-sized scan tool solution if it does.

On the VW front, I'm sure that y'all can figure out where my screen name here comes from as well. I have owned a Rabbit, 16V and VR6 GTI's, and currently have two Audi TT's and a Formula Vee open-wheel race car (1915cc aircooled) in my driveway.....
    I am currently using one of the "ebay" generic usb interfaces and it works great, picked up for under 20 shipped. Does require some drivers that make the older versions of vag-com view it as a com port or something. Been well over a year since I set it up. Anyways, may be another option if your serial to usb adapter doesn't work. Mine is setup on XP, but should be able to get it to work with vista as well. Ebay seller is "alpha-bid" or something similar, cant remember how it's entered but cat supplies the drivers needed to get everything to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    There have been a couple of discussion about this already, but they haven't really gone anywhere.

One guy had PalmOS software and a palm connector to USB adapter and wanted to get it working through classic. I don't think he ever reported back, but there's pretty much no chance of it working.

There was also a post about doing something like this which referenced a particular piece of software, and the original developer actually chimed in and said that he couldn't release a Pre app for it until Palm released an SDK that would allow him to properly protect his source code.

The real problem is that the target market for something like this is VERY small. The vast majority of people probably don't even know what OBDII is, and most certainly couldn't tell you were to find the connector in their car.
    Just a lil update,

i got the program to load. now i need to get a usb adapter for micro usb. or i might just modify one of my palm connectors. loaded and booted well. im just hoping the car connects well with my pre. ill post pics and data when i get it running.
    LOLs there's a few of us around here.

There's a cat that did a MK5 GTI theme..... at my request he did a few standard VW logo boot screens as well.... cool stuff, even if you aren't super into the newer VW's I dig the color scheme of his theme and it replaces some of the general icons with a VW (like the lock and launcher icons).

One of the things about true VW people.... you can find us anywhere, I am one of those that was born and raised with VWs. We pop up all over the place.
    That would be me I've owned nothing but VW and Audis (MK3,MK4,MK5 Jetta/GLI then Audi R8)

on topic, I'm not sure how well something like this would work with the webos setup, but even if it did, wouldn't we need a new cable (I suppose an adapter would do)? Plus, not sure I wanna use that tiny screen to input commands

(would be great to pull the codes and check em all with the pre ).
    That I concur with, but you could also tether your pre to your laptop (wirelessly even )
    PreThemer - Palm Pre Themes, Wallpapers & Bootlogos - packaged for easy installation. Themers! Post your themes!
    ***UNINSTALL THEMES BEFORE INSTALLING NEW ONES!***

My Themes | Follow @PreThemer on Twitter!
    I like the Iphone app, Rev from DevToaster. The misses has it on her Iphone. I want it on my pre. It uses existing hardware, OBD2 to wifi with an adhoc connection. We just need the app.

It's pretty cool. Datastream, diagnostic, gauges, lap timer, accelerometer, etc.
    Don't know about other methods of connecting (BT, wifi), but I believe it has been determined that the Pre be a USB host, even with a powered USB device.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Here's one for the iPhone/Touch, maybe they'll get around to porting one for the webOS:

LM-2 Wideband O2 Digital Air/fuel Ratio Meter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast