1.    #1  
    Photo App Loading Screen

When you open your Photo app (or default Music app), the program searches through your phone for all viewable/playable media. As great as that process is, all it has to show you while its cranking that out is a dull gray transparency.
    This can get irritating when new people and friends open the program and wonder whats going on.

All you have to do is change the transparency .png file to whatever 'loading' screen you want. You will need root access to change this file.

Here are some examples of something I threw together with photoshop, but really its up to your imagination.

More Screenshots (the images look dark since i chose to keep the original opacity of the transparency, but its bright enough on the phone):
    Photo Loading Screen - Original Theme
    Music Loading Screen

NOTE: This is for WebOS Version 1.2.1. Path locations or file names may be different for other versions. (If anyone can check if its the same on other versions, please post below)

If you've editted files before and know what you're doing, then just change these files to whatever image you'd like. The file for the music app is identical in its own app folder.
    Code:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/images/startup/photos-palm-scrim.png
    You can use my images if you'd like. Just type this in to overwrite your current transparency files. (BACK UP YOURS FIRST)
    Code:
    wget http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p221/SnazzyTime/photos-palm-scrim-orig.png -O /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/images/startup/photos-palm-scrim.png
    wget http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p221/SnazzyTime/music-palm-scrim.png -O /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.musicplayer/images/startup/music-palm-scrim.png
    For the blue theme'd photo screen
    Code:
    wget http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p221/SnazzyTime/photos-palm-scrim.png -O /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/images/startup/photos-palm-scrim.png

Here's the full rundown on how to do it.

First get sudo access and make the phone writable:
    Code:
    sudo -i
    mount -o remount,rw /
    Go to the folder location.
    Code:
    cd /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/images/startup
    Copy the transparency file to your media/internal folder (or any folder in there where you keep temp files):
    Code:
    cp photos-palm-scrim.png /media/internal/photos-palm-scrim.png
    Connect your phone with USB, set it to USB Drive mode, and go get that file you just copied.
    Open it with photoshop or any image editting program and do your thing.
    Copy the file back on your Pre, jump back into terminal, and overwrite the phone's png file with your new one.

Code:
    mv /media/internal/photos-palm-scrim.png /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.photos/images/startup/photos-palm-scrim.png
    Make the phone read-only again and restart:
    Code:
    mount -o remount,ro /
    pkill LunaSysMgr
    Open up your app and enjoy your results

If anyone found any errors with anything i posted here or have any comments, please let me know by posting below. Thanks!
    Last edited by Snazzy; 10/17/2009 at 07:56 PM.
    or get the music player remix which takes care of this ;-)
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Doesn't take care of it for photos.
    Personally, not a big fan of the loading screen for Remix.

Love the app to death... but the loading screen could be better...

OP: Thanks for this! It's a great find.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I like the loading screen on the newly updated remix ;] but i would prefer if i were able to set my own loading img.
  6.    #6  
    Haha i was a little confused at first about what you guys were talking about, but I just updated my Music Remix app and noticed the new loading screen. Looks pretty cool. But in the end its still up to you guys on how you want to customize your phone and it doesn't have to be fully opaque like the Remix's screen
    Quote Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
    Haha i was a little confused at first about what you guys were talking about, but I just updated my Music Remix app and noticed the new loading screen. Looks pretty cool. But in the end its still up to you guys on how you want to customize your phone and it doesn't have to be fully opaque like the Remix's screen
    I actually have a new splash screen created for the next release. I posted the image in the "Music Player (Remix) Wallpaper" thread in the "Palm Pre" section of the forum.

With the Remix app, making the background picture translucent vs. opaque really doesn't make sense since there's nothing displayed behind the splash screen image when the app is loading. The original music player shows a static menu (Artists, Albums, Songs, etc.) when it's loading. The Remix app has eliminated the static main menu and replaced it with a dynamic menu allowing the user to re-order the items on the main menu. As a result, the HTML file that is displayed when the app is loading is empty other than the background image (the splash screen).

Of course you can customize this image if you gain root access to your device; however, since nothing is displayed behind it, making it translucent is pointless. Also unlike the original music app, I update the app pretty frequently, so anytime I make an update, you'd have to re-deploy your custom splash screen image.
  8.    #8  
    I suppose this tutorial is redundant for your music app then. I changed it to be more specific for the photo app since thats what I originally had in mind. I just saw that the original music app had the same setup so i threw the code to change that in here as well in case anyone didnt realize it was edittable.

And i love your remix app and had no intention of people changing your loading screen. I didnt realize you created a loading screen until after i posted this thread and read the comments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
    I suppose this tutorial is redundant for your music app then. I changed it to be more specific for the photo app since thats what I originally had in mind. I just saw that the original music app had the same setup so i threw the code to change that in here as well in case anyone didnt realize it was edittable.

And i love your remix app and had no intention of people changing your loading screen. I didnt realize you created a loading screen until after i posted this thread and read the comments.
    If anyone wants to change the load screen, that's cool with me. But I definitely think it's more beneficial for the original music app and photo app. Frankly I'm surprised Palm didn't include something like this from the beginning. If you look on their developer site, one of their guidelines is that developers provide some sort of on-screen indication if a screen takes more than 3 seconds to load. So your mod is what should have been done all along.