Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    One of the things I love about the Pre is no-cable. When I need to charge the Pre at night it rest on the TouchStone so why do I have to plug in a cable to transfer files (like photos, PDF documents, MP3 music files and clearly some video). I love changing my Wallpaper since one of my hobbies is photography, so after a photo-safari weekend I want to upload to the Pre a couple of master pieces.

Does anyone know about or how to create a small WiFi controlled File Manager for the Pre that will work with the rest of my network. Since I can ping the Pre and see the IP address I should be able to do what I do between my PC laptop, PC workstation and Apple Powerbook like I can when I plug the USB cable into the Pre. The ploy here is clearly that one need to have a type of login security since everyone that can see the WiFi that I am on at a public location can also see my Pre.

I am Windows developer and have been since Windows was called 3. I have never done anything for WebOS, but I am sure I can learn that too if needed.

Any and all input is welcome.
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    There is a Samba share tweak that works. But last time I used it, it was extremely difficult to setup and even then, it was quite buggy. I'd love for some more work to be done in the area. I'd love to use my Pre as, basically, a wireless NAS.

Samba Access - WebOS Internals
    I actually don't even know if this is still functional in 1.2.1.
    You can use WinSCP to ssh into your pre and transfer files. And it's also secure.
    WinSCP is the way to go. Wireless everything from your comp to pre.
  5.    #5  
    Gaga006, Yes now we are talking, using the Pre as a small NAS would be nice.

Linwiz311 & Weeton, where can I find more information regarding the WinSCP?

6.    #6  
    Linwiz311 & Weeton, so here is what I know about WinSCP:

Freeware SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol), FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and SCP (Secure Copy) client for Windows using SSH (Secure Shell). Its main function is safe copying of files between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this basic function, WinSCP manages some other actions with files.

That will work on the PC side, but I am sure I need something on the Pre side too.

Reading Setup SFTP - WebOS Internal Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals it look like I do not need to do anything - hmmm
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    WinSCP is nice and all, but I'd rather be able to access my files from any computer anywhere I go. I went over to my friend's house and wanted to get a copy of some movies he had, I forgot my flash drive though. It would have been nice to just connect to his wifi, open my phone's samba share, type in my password and drag and drop.
    Samba is still really buggy on the Pre* and Windows 7 is a damn crapshoot doing anything with Samba. It's honestly much easier and secure to just quickly download an SCP client when you need instant filesystem access; they're available for any OS platform and are generally only around a megabyte or so in filesize.

*The current Samba daemon kills all audio on the Pre while running, which means you'll have to open the Terminal app and manually start and kill it every time you wish to mount a share. This will probably take longer than downloading an SCP client haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
    Linwiz311 & Weeton, so here is what I know about WinSCP:

Freeware SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol), FTP (File Transfer Protocol) and SCP (Secure Copy) client for Windows using SSH (Secure Shell). Its main function is safe copying of files between a local and a remote computer. Beyond this basic function, WinSCP manages some other actions with files.

That will work on the PC side, but I am sure I need something on the Pre side too.

Reading Setup SFTP - WebOS Internal Setup SFTP - WebOS Internals it look like I do not need to do anything - hmmm
    Yeap, you do not need to setup anything on the pre. Once you've accessed linux, you just open WinSCP, type in the pre's wifi or evdo address, enter the username you created and password and you should have full access to all the files on the pre.
  10.    #10  
    Linwiz311, so the Pre have already the SCP Server side setup, which from what I can read is real cool.

I do know my IP address (thanks to MyIP program from Homebrew), what I do not fully get is that you are saying “Once you’ve have accessed linux”. If I understand this correct the winSCP has the IP address of the Pre and to be fully connected I need to enter Login and Password. Can I ask, do I already have a Login and Password or do I need to create the Login and Password (which I think I need to do) and if so how do I do so?

Sorry for all the question, but I am 100% sure that there are a ton of reader that would like to do this and when I am done I would defiantly create a post that tells Windows/Pre users what to do and how to do it.

Again thanks for all the help you have given the community.
    So here's what you probably need to do:

Make sure dev mode is enabled. Once it's enabled, you can put in your pre's ip address into WinSCP, and the port number as 222, instead of the default port 22 and you should be able to connect. For the username, you can use root and leave the password blank. You may get a prompt about the verification of the authenticity, which you can just click yes.

However, I would recommend following the Accessing Linux directions and the Next Steps (see Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals) to lock up the root account and prevent unauthorized access to your pre. Alternatively, you can turn off dev mode when not transferring files.
    The Pre does not have server-side SCP enabled by default. Doing so would be a huge security vulnerability.

You need to install an ssh daemon on the Pre to enable the server side of SCP.

All webos-internals instructions on how to do so create an installation configuration which does not allow login as root with or without a password. You either need to log in as an unpriviledged user first and then use sudo, or you need to use ssh keys for root rather than a password.

Preware has packages available for Dropbear and OpenSSH.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    \
    *The current Samba daemon kills all audio on the Pre while running, which means you'll have to open the Terminal app and manually start and kill it every time you wish to mount a share. This will probably take longer than downloading an SCP client haha.
    I never had the audio issue mentioned and I had samba daemon running for about a week. Of course this was before 1.2. I'd still much prefer samba be perfected over WinSCP.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Pre does not have server-side SCP enabled by default. Doing so would be a huge security vulnerability.

You need to install an ssh daemon on the Pre to enable the server side of SCP.

All webos-internals instructions on how to do so create an installation configuration which does not allow login as root with or without a password. You either need to log in as an unpriviledged user first and then use sudo, or you need to use ssh keys for root rather than a password.

Preware has packages available for Dropbear and OpenSSH.

-- Rod
    Whoops, my bad. I think the emulator is set up differently, and you can access the root account for that without a password, correct?

For the pre, as Rod mentioned, you'll have to Access Linux and setup the optware stuff, which I believe asks you to set up an alternate username and password.
  15.    #15  
    Guys,

I did what Rod had suggested; installed the PreWare (love it and I got some cool patches installed like adding pages to the Launcher and the LED notification). I also got the DropBear installed (SHH and OpenSHH). None of them requested me to setup username and password.

On the PC I installed the WinSCP and I can see the Pre via SFTP on port 22, but when it under authentication is asking for username I have no idea what to give it. I assume here that I should have been asked for username and password under installation.

So how do I fix this?
    Guys,

I did what Rod had suggested; installed the PreWare (love it and I got some cool patches installed like adding pages to the Launcher and the LED notification). I also got the DropBear installed (SHH and OpenSHH). None of them requested me to setup username and password.

On the PC I installed the WinSCP and I can see the Pre via SFTP on port 22, but when it under authentication is asking for username I have no idea what to give it. I assume here that I should have been asked for username and password under installation.

So how do I fix this?
    When you install Dropbear or OpenSSH via Preware (as opposed to via the Optware command-line installation) it is set up to be able to log in as root using an ssh key only (no passwords).

See the Homepage link for each package in Preware for the documentation, which specifies how to set up ssh key access.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
  17.    #17  
    Well still not in business. I have:

-- Installed the Preware via the WebOS Quick Installer

-- Installed the Optware Bootstrap, OpenSLL, OpenSSH, OpenSSH SFTP Server and Dropbear via the Preware program. At no time was I asked for username or password.

-- Using the Terminal program I was able to do the following commands:

dropbearkey –t rsa –f /home/root/.ssh/id_rsa

This does create a key file; however again no input from me with regards to key phrase, login or password.

I also try to do:

mv /home/root/.ssh/id_rsa /home/root/.ssh/authorized_keys

When I point the WinSCP program to my IP address with port 22 I do get the following:

Searching for host …
    Connecting to host …
    Authenticating …
    And at this time I am requested for are Username.

However I do not have a username, plus I was under the impressing that the key file “id_rsa” would not prompt me for a username and password.

So the question is what am I doing wrong or what am I missing?
    Well still not in business. I have:

-- Installed the Preware via the WebOS Quick Installer

-- Installed the Optware Bootstrap, OpenSLL, OpenSSH, OpenSSH SFTP Server and Dropbear via the Preware program. At no time was I asked for username or password.

-- Using the Terminal program I was able to do the following commands:

dropbearkey –t rsa –f /home/root/.ssh/id_rsa

This does create a key file; however again no input from me with regards to key phrase, login or password.

I also try to do:

mv /home/root/.ssh/id_rsa /home/root/.ssh/authorized_keys

When I point the WinSCP program to my IP address with port 22 I do get the following:

Searching for host …
    Connecting to host …
    Authenticating …
    And at this time I am requested for are Username.

However I do not have a username, plus I was under the impressing that the key file “id_rsa” would not prompt me for a username and password.

So the question is what am I doing wrong or what am I missing?
    Which page of instructions are you following? Exact URL please.

Where does it say "mv /home/root/.ssh/id_rsa /home/root/.ssh/authorized_keys" ? That is not valid.

The username is 'root', and you will not need a password - that is what the keys are for. You should read up on ssh keys before continuing.

-- Rod
  19.    #19  
    This is a dummy post so I can reach 10 posts and give you the URL’s

20.    #20  
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast