Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Quote Originally Posted by everette13 View Post
    can someone please help me.
    i have tried, read and reread these instructions a month ago and gave up, then had to doctor my phone so thought would try again.
    i have read and reread them again. i put all 6 preware pkgs for openssh, went thru the generate keys using webos and now am trying to access with putty/winscp.
    using port 22 (port 222 does nothing), most of my putty attempts give me a 'network error: connection timed out' message. once in 20 attempts i can get to the
    Using username "root".
    Authenticating with public key "imported-openssh-key"
    Passphrase for key "imported-openssh-key":

prompt, but after entering the passphrase (the cursor does not move w typing, only down w 'enter' key- is that normal?), it gives "network error: software caused connection abort" prompt. needless to say, winscp does not connect; just gives 'network error: connection timed out' messages also.

this obviously seems to work first time for some, but i really have tried reading everything and cannot get it to work. could someone take pity and try and help???
    Ev
    could someone please help???
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
    Sometimes frustration gets to you! ==> I my case I selected to remove the dropbear program and then go to How to SSH into Your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog! where there are instruction on how to SSH into your Palm Pre.
    I just doctored by phone to version 1.4.5 and I have been reinstalling all the app and utilities I had running on my Pre for almost a year now.

I've always followed the instructions in the link provided above, step by step and it has always worked perfectly.

For some reason it is not working anymore.. when I launch WinSCP from my PC, the error message getting back is 'Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running a SFTP server?'

Does anyone know what is going on?

Did some security setting get changed, or maybe I did leave out something that I don't realize. As I said, I always follow the step by step instructions from the link. I only installed so it was access by WIFI (in house wifi) only.

Thanks for any info.

Is anyone else having trouble?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Install OpenSSH SFTP Server from Preware, and follow the instructions in the homepage link for the OpenSSH package.

Assume that any other instructions from blogs and articles are wrong.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Install OpenSSH SFTP Server from Preware, and follow the instructions in the homepage link for the OpenSSH package.

Assume that any other instructions from blogs and articles are wrong.

-- Rod
    Rod, thanks.

In the past I never had to use the Preware version, everything worked by following the instructions step by step from that link:

How to SSH into Your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!

But if this will solve it, I will do it.

I need to find the home page for the link..

Thanks, if I need more help I will ask again.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Rod, thanks.

In the past I never had to use the Preware version, everything worked by following the instructions step by step from that link:

http://How to SSH into Your Palm Pre...re Hacks Blog!

But if this will solve it, I will do it.

I need to find the home page for the link..

Thanks, if I need more help I will ask again.

Rob
    That article is obsolete and the method it describes is not OTA safe and neither recommended nor supported.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    That article is obsolete and the method it describes is not OTA safe and neither recommended nor supported.

-- Rod
    Ok, but that's what I used for the past year and now it is not working for some reason.

So I need some detailed step-by-step instructions because I installed OpenSSH-Server from Preware and it installed that and all the accompanying pieces.

When I log into the Pre using WinScp as I always have done in the past (I should mention that when I set it up using those instructions from that link, I only setup for wifi and not EVO, so it was just an intranet access, so I was pretty safe), it getting through logging on with the name and password that I setup with no problems. But then I get the error that 'Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running a SFTP server?'

This is after I install OpenSSH SFTP-Server using Preware.

So I guess I'm missing some steps that I need help with.

Oh, the security key that is exchanged, I did get a warning about that and it I just hit the 'UPDATE' button so that security key was updated, otherwise I doubt I would have been able to log in.

I also remember using Xorg Tools to install Optware, and that option seems to be missing now from the current version. That install the OpenSSH SFTP-Server and it prompted you to setup the name and password.

Anyway, I guess know I have to learn some totally different way of doing this, but I can't seem to find any step by step instructions that are clear enough for me to understand.

I went to Application:OpenSSH SFTP-Server and quite frankly it's not easy to follow that information. I'm not a UNIX guru.

The part of that is talking about the security keys, but as I said, WinSCP is doing that part correctly.

How do I find out of the 'server' is running? Since that is what the error is saying is the problem?

I have rebooted the PRe, but is there a command to start the server, or is it automatic.

Bear in mind, that all of this was totally easy using the step by step (by the outdated) links and worked flawlessly.

So if there is a clear step by step instruction for the new method, I need a link to that. I don't want you to have to hand hold me, but I just need something clear enough to understand, not being a unix guru.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

I'm wanting to set up a wireless connection from the pre to comp for file sharing and such. But a lot of the post about doing it here are very confusing since they start on one page and continue to others and then you get other people interjecting "What I did..." and then I don't know who's instructions to follow. Can I get one post with a set of straight forward instructions. Pics for the steps would be an awesome help.

Will I need tether, hack or what have you to my pre. I'm also planning on upgrading to win7x64. Will I have to do any thing over again once I set up the program? Running vistaProfx64.
    Ok, I'm not having success. From the WebOS Internals, there is this thing about ExpanDrive? Do I need to do that as well. Or do I just need to follow the instructions from the point of 'winscp'. That's the thing about WebOS Internals, its not clear if I need to follow the whole documentation for Winscp or just a part of it.

I'm sorry but my dyslexia gets in the way of reading some times.

I was also reading on this Filezilla thing.

But I would still like to know why the method that I've used for the past year broke, does anyone know why it changed?

I know Rod, you said it was unsafe, but if I use login name and password to gain access, how is that not safe? And I'm only using it on my intranet, not the internet. Wifi access not EVDO.

And if I go and install the Preware version, will it overwrite my attempt to install the older method. Or will the two versions conflict?

And as I said, I am gaining access with the old method, it's just failing because the sftp-server isn't running, at least that's what the error message from Winscp is saying after it logs me on.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

This is all you need, read it carefully: Application:OpenSSH - WebOS Internals. Note: it's easier if you skip the "Generate Keys from Windows PC Method" section (i.e. use the "Generate Keys from webOS Method").
    Even though that's all you need, you may also want to read this thread carefully (it may help clarify things): http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...filezilla.html
    Ignore all other pages/threads!
    Pet Peave: When people use photographs of themselves as Avatars. There's something unsettling about their big faces staring back at me in the forums. . . . Maybe I'm just paranoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by canderoc View Post
    This is all you need, read it carefully: Application:OpenSSH - WebOS Internals. Note: it's easier if you skip the "Generate Keys from Windows PC Method" section (i.e. use the "Generate Keys from webOS Method").
    Even though that's all you need, you may also want to read this thread carefully (it may help clarify things): http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...filezilla.html
    Ignore all other pages/threads!

Thanks!

I read all the stuff about how to setup the keys in the link you had given me already.

At this point, I have not had time to see what Filezilla can do compared with WinSCP. From what I understand, Filezilla cannot do as much as WinSCP can. And I used WinSCP for a lot of stuff.

So until I install it on my PC and see what it really is and what it can do, I will hold off making any comments about it, negative or positive.

I was just trying to understand why the old method broke. And I have recently discovered that there something very dangerous in using the old method.

Just attempting to set it up, it was part of what caused my Camera and Audio not working at all and making me doctor my phone about 3 times so far.

So whatever was different in 1.4.5, it totally broken and made the older method useless permanently. Honestly the older method was only 4 lines of instructions to follow. Not all these many steps; that thankfully, are very clearly laid out for setting up Filezilla using the newer versions of OpenSSH Server via Preware.

I guess that's why I was so resistant to using this new method, it's just not as simple for the non-unix priestest.

I wish someone would just make a simple app that does all this setup for you and removes me from having to make sure I type in all the commands correctly (ok, I know I'm really just going to do a copy and paste of the commands).

You know a WYSIWIG thing, just ask me some questions I provide the answers and it's all setup. Ah... just like the older 4 line method.

LOL!

Ok everyone thanks for the help, I know I've complained kicking and screaming over this, but in the end I am very appreciative of all the help everyone has provided me with as much detail as possible.

Rob
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 08/26/2010 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling / grammer
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    An easy (but read-only) way to access files on your Palm Pre via WiFi (or the mobile data network) is to install Lighty web server from Preware. After installation you can access the files via a web browser on your PC.

Then either change Lighty config file to access the entire internal drive, or use Internalz on your Pre to copy files you want to share to the www folder on the internal drive.

See the thread on precentral (search for 220326-lighty-web-server-lighttpd-your-pre )
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456