Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1.    #81  
    Rob, I am stuck all day in meetings so this is going to be short and from the top of my head.

You cannot save directly a part that you do under Putty without creating a batch that you can run upon login.
    When I login I use the Login and Password that I created when I installed the SSH on the Pre see:

===
    cd /tmp
    wget http://gitorious.org/webos-internals...trap-manual.sh
    chmod 755 ./optware-bootstrap-manual.sh
    sh optware-bootstrap-manual.sh
    source /etc/profile.d/optware
    During the installation, the script will ask you for a username and password, choose these carefully and WRITE THEM DOWN so you don’t forget them. You will be using these credentials to SSH into your Palm Pre later.
    ===

Hope this will help for now.
    Bjarne Winkler
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ==> Pre: There's a patch for that!
  2.    #82  
    Rob, I forgot to tell you that I have not upgraded to 1.4 yet since I am not sure what I need to preserve the login / password which I have heard could be an issue.

Also select to only do one thing at a time like getting SSH working and then upgrade or upgrade and when that is working then get SSH running. This would be less confusing for you and the rest of us.
    Bjarne Winkler
    Bjarne,

It's been a few days since I've been able to get back to trying to make WinSCP work 'better'.

I have to re-read all the post you sent me. I want to make sure I'm doing all that you suggested.

I have finally gotten my Pre stable (for the most part, LOL!) after the 1.4 update.

Boy was that a lot of work. I had (which I knew I was going) to doctor my phone mostly due to the Messaging Plugins that I need for MSN Live which I use.

I was fine but then I did something totally stupid on my part and deleted a directory that basically... **** my Pre up bad! But I wasn't scared, I kicked myself in the **** for making that kind of mistake.

I did the doctor and installed everything I wanted, and carefully checked that my phone is working OK.

I'm just dealing with some 'random reboots' which I just found out that others are having too. So I guess I have to wait to see what comes with that. I think my are coming when I am using my stereo bluetooth headset (the Plantronics Model 906, incidentally, their very nice).

Now I've reading that some of the WebOS Internal stuff is not working with 1.4, such as Terminal, which I really need to do all of this stuff. I know I can use NovaTerm or what's built into WebOS QI but I kinda liked doing it on the Pre.

I hope the developers get that fixed soon.

And I am reading over at Xorg Tools that some Optware stuff is not working at intended.

It seems everyone is saying to install via Preware.

But when I install it via Preware, it does not run a script to create the user account password, like it does when I follow the instructions that was originally posted here.

So should I wait a while before trying to install this stufff (the WinSCP, file sharing) until some of this stuff gets fixed or should I try it anyway.

I'm OK if someone tells me to wait a little while until it gets fixed and all the developers give the thumbs up for everything to work with 1.4

Thanks for your opinions!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    And I am reading over at Xorg Tools that some Optware stuff is not working at intended.
    Which optware stuff is not working?

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Which optware stuff is not working?

-- Rod
    I think the regular installation via Xorg Tools.

There is a thread called Xorg Tools if you are interested in that application or I should say service.

Here is the link:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...wer-users.html

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Hi,

Does anyone know why when I copy files to the Pre via WinSCP and everything looks perfectly OK.

I can see the files from WinSCP, but when I go to the Pre itself and for example: I copied a picture over, I cannot see it there with the Photo app.

I can see it there when I hook up my USB cable.

It seems that so far, I'm forced to copy the file from my PC via the USB connection.

That kinda make the WINSCP not worth it.

It's gotta be some kind of permissions settings or something.

I checked and all the Linux properties are exactly the same as the other files I have on my system.

Does it have to do anything with needing to do a 'sudo' type thing?

What's funny is that I can see the files using Internalz (from jason).

What gives?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Hi,

Does anyone know why when I copy files to the Pre via WinSCP and everything looks perfectly OK.

I can see the files from WinSCP, but when I go to the Pre itself and for example: I copied a picture over, I cannot see it there with the Photo app.

I can see it there when I hook up my USB cable.

It seems that so far, I'm forced to copy the file from my PC via the USB connection.

That kinda make the WINSCP not worth it.

It's gotta be some kind of permissions settings or something.

I checked and all the Linux properties are exactly the same as the other files I have on my system.

Does it have to do anything with needing to do a 'sudo' type thing?

What's funny is that I can see the files using Internalz (from jason).

What gives?

Thanks!

Rob
    The photo app doesn't always "refresh" the list of files, so you can't the new pictures that you copied over. Going into USB mode and changing images files "forces" the Pre to refresh that list, but I don't know of any other way to do this.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    You should be able to use your Luna managar and rescan and they should show up.
    I found if I just use Internalz to copy just one file into that directory the rest of the files show up.

I think I should test out just waiting and see if they show up in a certain amount of time. Maybe it's just a timing thing before it does a refresh.

At least I know the files are OK, and it has to do with some kind of refresh thing.

I wonder if this is worth telling Palm about, possible bug?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

I found if I just use Internalz to copy just one file into that directory the rest of the files show up.

I think I should test out just waiting and see if they show up in a certain amount of time. Maybe it's just a timing thing before it does a refresh
    Fileindexer issue actually. Well known issue. It's the reason I added a "Rescan Fileindexer" to my Advanced Options in Launcher patch
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Fileindexer issue actually. Well known issue. It's the reason I added a "Rescan Fileindexer" to my Advanced Options in Launcher patch
    So it's nothing that I'm doing wrong and my WinScp is set up correctly.

I guess the question is, if it's a known issue, is Palm aware of it and are they working on it?

Thanks

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

12.    #92  
    rlanza1045 aka Rob, did you find a easy way to regenerate the username and password for the SSH? And if so can you share?
    Bjarne Winkler
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
    rlanza1045 aka Rob, did you find a easy way to regenerate the username and password for the SSH? And if so can you share?
    First, I think I discovered that nobody knows the password for root, and that is the way it's supposed to be.

I needed to learn the sudo commands which allows you to use your own account (that is at admin level) and password.

To get it all setup up again, I did remove everything and reinstalled all of the Linux stuff all over again and it prompted me to create my user name and password.

I used the instructions that were listed in a link in some previous messages.

Here is the link, I followed the instructions to the letter, however since I'm not enabling my Pre to be access from the EVDO network and just my own internal network at home, I did not use the Dynamic DNS part of those instructions which was at lower have of the page.

How to SSH into Your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog!

The setup will prompt you and ask for you to create a user name and password.

I also downloaded the latest version of WinSCP and Putty.. remember to make the port 222 not 22.

And from Bjarne in message #76 on page 4, he told me to change a few things in WINSCP's setup.

I hope this helps and is what you wanted.

Rob

PS Still trying to learn how long to wait until files show up after copying them to the Pre. Apparently, it's a known bug and the file indexer needs to get updated. For me, until I learn something better, I just copy a file using Internalz into that particular directory and the rest of the files end up showing up, like magic.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

14.    #94  
    Rob, you are describing what I had expected, remove and reinstall – bummer.

The lady in my life is a Unix administrator and she is the walking Unix / Linux dictionary so I have all the help I can ask for when it comes to learning the Unix commands. However I have found that O’Reilly “UNIX in a Nutshell” has been helpful too.

More info on “sudo” can be found on sudo - Linux Command - Unix Command
    Bjarne Winkler
    does not know how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
    However I have found that O’Reilly “UNIX in a Nutshell” has been helpful too.

More info on “sudo” can be found on [url= - Linux Command - Unix Command[/url]
    I actually think I have that book from my Unix classes. I pulled out all my class books.

But usually just use google to get a fast answer on a command.

Rob

Man, I wish Terminal would get fixed, but I'm doubtful at this point and I'm not sure if Terminus is going to get upgraded. Bummer!
    can someone please help me.
    i have tried, read and reread these instructions a month ago and gave up, then had to doctor my phone so thought would try again.
    i have read and reread them again. i put all 6 preware pkgs for openssh, went thru the generate keys using webos and now am trying to access with putty/winscp.
    using port 22 (port 222 does nothing), most of my putty attempts give me a 'network error: connection timed out' message. once in 20 attempts i can get to the
    Using username "root".
    Authenticating with public key "imported-openssh-key"
    Passphrase for key "imported-openssh-key":

prompt, but after entering the passphrase (the cursor does not move w typing, only down w 'enter' key- is that normal?), it gives "network error: software caused connection abort" prompt. needless to say, winscp does not connect; just gives 'network error: connection timed out' messages also.

this obviously seems to work first time for some, but i really have tried reading everything and cannot get it to work. could someone take pity and try and help???
    Ev
    just read this thread for a similar, but different problem... so I'm not answering you, just adding my *** to yours, sorry

I have a pre plus on verizon, now running 1.4.1.1. I have installed preware and terminal and have been using the cli just fine, I'm trying to get lighttpd running, and have successfully done so, as i can view my pages at 127.0.0.1:8081, lighttpd is working fine, as are PHP, SLQ etc...

HOWEVER i cannot access the server via EVDO or Wi-Fi (removed -i eth0 from script) so I figured I'd try to get SSH working with dropbear as a troubleshooter step...

got dropbear installed and running, but cannot connect from outside clients to either wi-fi ip or evdo ip (ifconfig eth0 or ppp0, respectively)(using macOSX ssh) I always get a connection timed out error. always. it seems like there's something wonky with iptables, but I don't know how to fix it, or if thats even the problem :/ not running developer mode, but from what I understand that shouldn't be an issue?

anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawzx2 View Post
    just read this thread for a similar, but different problem... so I'm not answering you, just adding my *** to yours, sorry

I have a pre plus on verizon, now running 1.4.1.1. I have installed preware and terminal and have been using the cli just fine, I'm trying to get lighttpd running, and have successfully done so, as i can view my pages at 127.0.0.1:8081, lighttpd is working fine, as are PHP, SLQ etc...

HOWEVER i cannot access the server via EVDO or Wi-Fi (removed -i eth0 from script) so I figured I'd try to get SSH working with dropbear as a troubleshooter step...

got dropbear installed and running, but cannot connect from outside clients to either wi-fi ip or evdo ip (ifconfig eth0 or ppp0, respectively)(using macOSX ssh) I always get a connection timed out error. always. it seems like there's something wonky with iptables, but I don't know how to fix it, or if thats even the problem :/ not running developer mode, but from what I understand that shouldn't be an issue?

anyone have any ideas?
    Are you sure that Verizon allows incoming connections? Many cellular providers do not.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    There is a suggestion (but no confirmations I can find) that Verizon blocks incoming connections, and "operating a web server" <i>IS</i> against their TOS... I still don't understand why I can't get it to work over Wi-Fi though. Maybe it has something to do with my VERY hacked together local network.

minutes pass....

update: devices on my local network can't ping each other... now why would that be? /me attacks dd-wrt with a hammer
    (aren't you supposed to ping things before you find blame? D'oh)

I'm going to kill my router, then do some deeper probing about the possible Verizon issue...
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast