Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Just in case someone likes to use native methods to access the palm: you can use webdav. OSX, Windows and Linux support it.

Install:

1) root you palm

2) login using ssh

3) install pydav (python required, install with ipkg-opt install python!):

Code:
    http://pywebdav.googlecode.com/files/PyWebDAV-0.9.3.tar.gz
    tar xvfz PyWebDAV-0.9.3.tar.gz
    cd PyWebDAV-0.9.3
    python setup.py build
    python setup.py install
    4) start the webdav server

Code:
    /opt/local/bin/davserver -D /media/internal -H 192.168.2.106 -J -P 80 -n
    Use your own ip address

5) enable port 80:

Code:
    iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
    You may put 4) and 5) into some startupscript. Now you can access the palm from your pc. I used finder on MacOSX (screenshot).
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2.    #62  
    Debilater, cool and nice! One need to create a little smarter script starting the WebDAV Server since you may have one IP address at home and most likely another at the office.

Again thanks for the introduction to WebDAV.
    Bjarne Winkler
    ---------------------------------------------------
    ==> Pre: There's a patch for that!
  3.    #63  
    Twinkybot,I am glad to see that my posting was working for you and more important that you are up and running.

I think the reason that I did not have to move anything to the Pre was that the setup got its Login user name and password and the WinSCP does the magic when it gets my login information, but I do not know.
    Bjarne Winkler
    Hello guys. Can someone help me pleaseee ..

I've been trying to SSH to my palm pre so that I can WIFI transfer files without the basic knowledge of linux. I just follow the instruction from How to SSH into Your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog! ie How to SSH into your palm.

I have successfully follow the instruction but at the point of creating the password part, as i entered my password the text "password is weak" then "re-enter password" appeared.

I enter the password but I think the second password I typed it wrongly.

After finishing installation of the whole package. I tried to SSH using WinSCP but the access is denied. I presume the password I have created at first go was wrong. How do I reset or recreate a password to SSH into my palm?

Help me pleasee
    Quote Originally Posted by gguile View Post
    Hello guys. Can someone help me pleaseee ..

I've been trying to SSH to my palm pre so that I can WIFI transfer files without the basic knowledge of linux. I just follow the instruction from How to SSH into Your Palm Pre! | Palm Pre Hacks Blog! ie How to SSH into your palm.

I have successfully follow the instruction but at the point of creating the password part, as i entered my password the text "password is weak" then "re-enter password" appeared.

I enter the password but I think the second password I typed it wrongly.

After finishing installation of the whole package. I tried to SSH using WinSCP but the access is denied. I presume the password I have created at first go was wrong. How do I reset or recreate a password to SSH into my palm?

Help me pleasee
    That article is way out of date.

Remove all that stuff, then install Preware and the OpenSSH SFTP Server and then follow the instructions on the OpenSSH homepage link in Preware.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    one problem, how do I remove all the previous package that I installed based on the instruction from the link I posted in my previous post?

I have installed Preware but none of those programs installed by the his instruction listed in the Preware. I have known no way how to find those installed aside from getting listed in Preware.
    Last edited by gguile; 02/12/2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: edit
  7.    #67  
    gguile, use the (WebOSQuickInstall) from your PC to clean up the things that you do not need or want.
    Bjarne Winkler
    You can try Lightly Web Server, its very easy to install and setup.

It allows you to access your Pre's USB Media partition from any web browser from any computer.

You can see the files and then copy them to your computer.

I've tried this and Xorg Tools to install 'Dropbox' and 'Backup' which allow you to copy file from your Pre to your computer. You can not copy file to the Pre, only from the Pre.

Maybe these two are easier than WinSCP.

I on the other hand am going to try this WinSCP and see if it works as well.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Wow!

I just installed WinSCP according to the link provided by Bjarne in some previous messages and it worked on the very first try!

So do I like this better than Lightly Web Server, yes of course.

But to be honest, with the Lightly Web Server, you can just use a browser to see and copy the files from your Pre. Quick and simple setup.

However, I think I'm going to love this WinSCP more in the end.

Hooray, goodbye cables, expect for WebOS Quick Install of course.

I even use PocketMirror for my Outlook which is wireless as well.

Thank you all for making this very simple to follow.

I still would like Xorg Tools to add this to their setup, I think he has it in there, I might not have follow the instructions as well for WinSCP.

I do encourage Linux people to try his utility.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Sorry for the additional post but I have one more question:

Does this service use that much of the Pre's resources, or in layman's terms is this slowing down the Pre to leave it running all the time?

I realize if we are accessing the Pre, it is going to have an impact but if we are not using or logged in, does it put stress on the Pre?

Or should I be stopping the service until I need it and if so, how do you stop it and then restart it?

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

I was wondring the same thing
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Sorry for the additional post but I have one more question:

Does this service use that much of the Pre's resources, or in layman's terms is this slowing down the Pre to leave it running all the time?

I realize if we are accessing the Pre, it is going to have an impact but if we are not using or logged in, does it put stress on the Pre?

Or should I be stopping the service until I need it and if so, how do you stop it and then restart it?

Thanks!

Rob
    It will use less than 1% of memory, and no CPU, when it is not being accessed.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It will use less than 1% of memory, and no CPU, when it is not being accessed.

-- Rod
    and when it's not being accessed is it just dormant taking up no resources?
    Hi all,

I'm having a problem that I just discovered after working with WinScp.

I think this is great, I wanted to say that first.

However, it seems that when I try to copy a file to the Pre and it is going to replace the existing file (the file has the same name) I'm getting a Permissions Error 3.

I'm not sure what is wrong.

I guess it might be the user account I setup. But I did follow the setup instructions to the letter.

I also get that error is I just try to delete a file from the Pre.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Rob

PS How would you check to make sure the user account is set for root? How would I change that?
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 02/23/2010 at 11:44 PM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

I tried looking up that error: Did you mount the partition as read/write? ( WinSCP Permission Denied )
  16.    #76  
    Rob, cool that you could use some of what I had posted!

In WinSCP:
    Be sure that the Advanced Option is checked.

Under Environment you find the SFTP option where you can set the Protocol Options for the SFTP Server; set this to “sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server” (no quotes).

Under the Session option you need Host Name (your IP address) and Port Number “222”.

Be sure the File Protocol is set to SFTP.

Save the Session under an arbitrary name that is associated with the IP address you used. This will save you some time later when you want to login.

Before you login to the Pre you need a couple of things:
    Turn on the developer mode (you can download DevMode using FileCoaster or DeveloperMode using Preware) to control that setting.

Also ensure that you phone is charging either via the TouchStone or the USB cable, if not the Pre will go to sleep and stop communicate with the WinSCP program.

Now you can start a session with WinSCP.
    Under login you may the first time get information who the Server is (Pre), accept that dialog box and you will not see it again.

After login use the WinSCP menu option Commands | Open Putty or {CTRL}P to start Putty.

In Putty:
    Enter your password and you will get the yourname@castle prompt
    At the yourname@castle prompt enter “sudo –i” (still; no quotes) and hit enter. The Sudo command will prompt you for your password again to ensure you are you.

Your yourname@castle prompt will change to root@castle prompt: You are now fully rooted.

At the root@castle prompt enter “mount –o remount,rw /” and hit enter.

This should list you some 20 lines of text. If that does not happen then you either missed the step when you turned the Pre into developer mode or most likely the step where you needed to enter “sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server”.

At this time you can create/rename/delete files and folders; you can drag and drop from PC to Pre and back again using WinSCP.

When done switch back to the Putty window; enter “mount –o remount,ro /” and hit enter

Then enter “exit” and that should end the Putty session.

Close the WinSCP and you are back to normal.
    Bjarne Winkler
    Global Posts
    1,047 Global Posts
    Works great with CyberDuck 3.4.1.
    Tom
    Pilot Prō --> M100 --> Trēō 600 --> Trēō 700p -- > Prē
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
    Rob, cool that you could use some of what I had posted!
    Wow, I just noticed your reply.

I can't wait to try everything. I guess that will fix the issue. I had thought the issue was the the user name was not correctly made as a root user.

And with my limited knowledge of Linux, I do understand that you are setting my user name to be used as root for that session.

I can't wait to try the fixes you supplied.

However, with 1.4 just out. I think a whole mess of stuff stopped working or broke.

I don't think my user exists any longer after the update.

So I probably have to run the installation procedure again.

But I'm waiting because I thought I read that some of the Homebrew stuff, especially 'Terminal' which I used a lot, it totally broken and you guys and all the developers are hard at work over at WebOS Internals fixing it up for 1.4.

Until I get terminal running, I have to put this on hold!

I am excited to get it working again!

Rob

PS I guess I can at least modify my login script with WinSCP itself until the Pre side of it is fixed.

Thanks, I'll let you know if I have success. I can't believe how helpful you were in supplying the Linux weakling get it going. I did take out 3 Unix school books to use as reference but I really need to purchase something more for Linus and WebOS. I should make a trip to Barnes and Noble on 5th ave and 18th (I believe that's the best store, beside McGraw-Hill on 48th st).

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Note that the latest recommended way to install Dropbear or OpenSSH on the Pre is to install them using Preware, and then set up secure SSH key access as documented on the Homepage link for those applications in Preware.

Also note that we specifically recommend this method (among other reasons related to security) because it is impervious to webOS updates like the one which just killed the old obsolete method for everyone.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 02/28/2010 at 07:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjarne View Post
    In Putty:
    Enter your password and you will get the yourname@castle prompt
    At the yourname@castle prompt enter “sudo –i” (still; no quotes) and hit enter. The Sudo command will prompt you for your password again to ensure you are you.

Your yourname@castle prompt will change to root@castle prompt: You are now fully rooted.

At the root@castle prompt enter “mount –o remount,rw /” and hit enter.

This should list you some 20 lines of text. If that does not happen then you either missed the step when you turned the Pre into developer mode or most likely the step where you needed to enter “sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server”.

At this time you can create/rename/delete files and folders; you can drag and drop from PC to Pre and back again using WinSCP.

When done switch back to the Putty window; enter “mount –o remount,ro /” and hit enter

Then enter “exit” and that should end the Putty session.

Close the WinSCP and you are back to normal.
    OK, I modified the Winscp session that I had created.

I have one or two more questions.

When you say go into putty, I had it set to automatically log me in with that session I created.

So before, I would just hit the login button on the bottom near right side.

And it would do it's thing, and I would end up with two panels, one for my PC and one for the Pre (the directories).

I and I had it set to default to the /media/internal/... so I would get a listing of the usb partition.

So are you saying that I have to do the mount -o remount,rw / stuff after I see this directory?

Is there anyway to setup the saved session to automate the whole process for me?

In the session setup window, I had my ip address to the Pre and I entered my user name 'preuser' and the 'password' that I had setup.

Are you saying don't use those login credentials?

OK, maybe I can ask to be lazy here, can you setup a login session in WinScp and email it to me, and then all I have to do is edit the ip address?

Or at least so I can look at it to see how you set it up.

I don't mind learning how to do it.

I think when you talk about the Putty part, I do when when I click the login button on the bottom, it throws up a window and you can watch what it's doing.

It logs in, and authenticates... and the first time asks me if I want to save the key, I of course say yes. And then it doesn't happen again.

So where I'm getting confused at is that I should login and then use putty.. or do I some how enter the remount stuff somewhere in the automated section?

Am I making sense, am I describing to you where I am getting confused at?

Thanks!

Rob

PS I just found this.. is it ok to modify under environment the scp/shell the first line which is labeled 'shell' to: 'sudo -i'
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast