Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast
    these two patches greatly improved performance for me also... it seems much snappier

btw, someone should edit the first post so that its easier to find the links to the patches... Not that its hard now but... you know
    for what it's worth, I installed both these patches, and while it enabled me to open almost twenty cards, I got the dreaded "sorry, too many catds" again today. Had 4 cards active. Can't remember exactly what. I closed one...no go. Closed #2...nahuh. Closed#3....can't believe this, still too many. I now have one card left open, can you guess? If you said BROWSER, that's right. So I close browser card and BAM, opened next card. Then another. Then another. Stopped around 10.

this leads me to believe, a lot of "my" memory problem; can't speak for anyone else; is coming from browser. Btw, I had cleared my browser cache about 2-3 hours before this. Thi is just my personal experience that happened only once since adding these great patches, so take it for what its worth. Never know what might help someone debug/improve the device even further
    I would get this error alot, after installing both patches I hardly get it at all. All you people that take the time to figure out and write these patches deserve a big THANK YOU. I liked my pre when I first got it now I love it. So again thanks to Jason, VeeDubb and all the others that contribute to make this the best phone period.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Can someone please submit this to Preware soon? I don't have access to WOSQI considering it won't run on my PC (Long story, ask Shadavis... I tried everything) so I had to install preware from a friends PC for my homebrew needs.

I'd love to apply these patches via preware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Change View Post
    Can someone please submit this to Preware soon? I don't have access to WOSQI considering it won't run on my PC (Long story, ask Shadavis... I tried everything) so I had to install preware from a friends PC for my homebrew needs.

I'd love to apply these patches via preware.
    man you still cant get ur computer to run novacom driver or whatever ?? That bites maybe time for a new one ha ha !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    man you still cant get ur computer to run novacom driver or whatever ?? That bites maybe time for a new one ha ha !!
    Yeah, I built my PC 6 years ago. 3ghz P4 with 1GB of DDR2. At the time I built it, it was top of the line and unmatched for speed. Now it's slow and troublesome...

But not to hijack, novacom runs on the PC. Just WOSQI freezes anytime I try to do anything. My PC sees my phone, dev mode is on, novacom running, java is 1.6_16 and it's a no go. It makes baby jesus cry.
    any word on why or how this actually works?

sounds like it shouldn't (for speed) in theory, but yet does anyway.

it also shouldn't hurt much of anything (in theory)

in practice it does speed things up for me, and dosn't seem to hurt anything.
    There are four lights.
    Update: Seems to make my Pre a bit snappier. I've yet to run into the too many cards open error. I don't have too many open but even the usually memory leak errors have not shown up yet. I opened 15 and no errors. Thanks for this patch, great work!!!!
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Installed both patches on my 1.1.3 EU Pre on O2.

Managed to open 34 cards before running into the "card error" =P. However the Pre did not seem to speed up much, if any in my opinion tbh.

Much appreciated however =)
    Installed both patches, the speed of opening apps is VERY noticeable. Classic seems to fly now, Calendar opens with no noticeable lag. My Pre feels much snappier. Thanks for creating this!
    Jimmie Geddes
    First thanks to all the people who did this. You guys are awesome!

I installed both patches. Even though I don't think the speed increase in terms of opening apps, but I do think it is snappier in general.
    http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-increase.html

mo speed lol ,how fast can the pre be lol
    if you want faster here is another patch for you!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstardjal View Post
    for what it's worth, I installed both these patches, and while it enabled me to open almost twenty cards, I got the dreaded "sorry, too many catds" again today. Had 4 cards active. Can't remember exactly what. I closed one...no go. Closed #2...nahuh. Closed#3....can't believe this, still too many. I now have one card left open, can you guess? If you said BROWSER, that's right. So I close browser card and BAM, opened next card. Then another. Then another. Stopped around 10.

this leads me to believe, a lot of "my" memory problem; can't speak for anyone else; is coming from browser. Btw, I had cleared my browser cache about 2-3 hours before this. Thi is just my personal experience that happened only once since adding these great patches, so take it for what its worth. Never know what might help someone debug/improve the device even further
    I'm forced to agree with your assessment. Whenever I get the Too Many Cards message its always when the browser is open. Generally its on pages like Engadget, Gigaom, etc.

Thanks for these patches guys. I installed them, rebooted, and it seemed like my Pre had a dual core cpu, with 4Gb of DDR3... Much better experience all around.
    how are we doing on setting this for preware?? I would like to try it out but i dont have access to quick install.

I do have terminal installed on the pre.
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Has anyone tried any other settings to address the issue with the camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Superstardjal View Post
    Yeah the browser has notable memory leak issues. I've been in similar situations. It's an issue Palm needs to address.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    how are we doing on setting this for preware?? I would like to try it out but i dont have access to quick install.

I do have terminal installed on the pre.
    I had originally decided not to contribute my portion of this to Preware at all because I don't know enough to be certain that it won't have negative affects to other parts of the system.

However, since it seems to have worked so well, for so many people, I plan on submitting it to the feed when I'm free from work on Sunday. I'll also look through and see if the person who put the other patch together (I think it was Jason) or the OP who came up with the idea have any objections to all this going into Preware. If not, it will be submitted sunday and show up in Preware as soon as it's reviewed.

EDIT* After speaking with Jason, he has already submitted his patch to lower the swap threshold, but there may be some concerns about cutting /tmp in half in the fstab, so putting mine in preware may be delayed further.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 10/24/2009 at 03:44 AM.
    Well wow I just installed both of these patches and there is unquestionably undeniably a great improvement in Pre speed. Apps are launching faster, transitions and switching is smoother and lags are pretty much gone. Menu animation, etc seems quicker and smoother also. Great work...big effects from a simply patch!
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    I installed both last week, and am still thrilled with the speed increase. Is it perfect? No, but it is a step in the right direction.
    -----------------
    Palm III, Palm IIIc, TT, T3, T5, TX, Pre from Day 1.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    hey has anyone else noticed that the acelorometer is working better now? I dont think its just wishfull thinking on my part, i think its now truly responsive!
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112 LastLast