Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonaddis84 View Post
    Works great! Thanks a lot guys.

For those wondering about a preware version, this took literally 30seconds to complete including the Luna restart. Just download files from Jasons previous post, drag/drop them into quickinstall 2.81, click install, done!
    Actually, you *have* to reboot the pre for this to work. A luna restart is *not* enough. (actually, a luna restart is enough for the /etc/palm/luna.conf change, but not for the /etc/fstab change - the /etc/fstab change requires a total reboot)
    -mark
    Last edited by diomark; 10/15/2009 at 05:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    (personally, I don't like swap, so I'm only doing the /etc/fstab hack)
    -mark
    I'm doing the same. I've never had too many problems but lately I've only had just 2 cards open and try opening a third and get the too many cards error. I imagine the fstab hack should be enough to make enough memory available for my needs.
    Actually, you *have* to reboot the pre for this to work. A luna restart is *not* enough.
    -mark
    +1 i was having trouble till i shut down the phone then rebooted. after that it works great. i an now a mutitasker since nothing slows down when i have all my cards up. as is i am doing a battery monitor test to see if there is any major loss in standby time ect.
    umm my quick install its only lettin me do ipk files.... how to over come?fix thanx
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    +1 i was having trouble till i shut down the phone then rebooted. after that it works great. i an now a mutitasker since nothing slows down when i have all my cards up. as is i am doing a battery monitor test to see if there is any major loss in standby time ect.
    well-behaved programs shouldn't cause any issues w/ the battery..

Some programs poll though. Programs that poll/update themselves will cost battery life. (examples that come to mind are gdial pro and newsdesk)
    -mark
    you guys are awesome

what are the potential negative impact besides battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by TableTopFreak View Post
    umm my quick install its only lettin me do ipk files.... how to over come?fix thanx
    update to latest version of WebOSQuickinstall
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myrcgarage View Post
    you guys are awesome

what are the potential negative impact besides battery life?
    It might interfere w/ OS upgrades.. But as with any patch, you should be uninstalling this prior to doing an upgrade anyways.
    -mark
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    It might interfere w/ OS upgrades.. But as with any patch, you should be uninstalling this prior to doing an upgrade anyways.
    -mark
    Which seeing as how this patch requires a reboot, it would probably be wise to do a reboot after removing it before doing the os update.
    thanxz yeah i was like *** lol... thanxz for the help
    What exactly is /tmp really used for anyway that Palm devoted so much memory to it?
    How would you uninstall it if you installed by using WebOS QI? Does it show up in the feeds or gui?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    How would you uninstall it if you installed by using WebOS QI? Does it show up in the feeds or gui?
    Probably Device Management
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    Probably Device Management
    Yep, Tools->Device Management. Change the dropdown box from "Applications" to "Patches"
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    What exactly is /tmp really used for anyway that Palm devoted so much memory to it?
    System temporary files. It's normal to have a large /tmp on linux servers. What i don't understand is why Palm is also using 128mb's of RAM for /media/ram. Even if this is used for buffering on the video player/etc, 128mb's is overkill.

By default, palm is using 128mb's for /media/ram, and 64mb's for /tmp - this hack lowers it to 64mb on /media/ram and 32mb's for /tmp

-mark
    What i don't understand is why Palm is also using 128mb's of RAM for /media/ram. Even if this is used for buffering on the video player/etc, 128mb's is overkill.
    Half of all available hardware RAM was sucked up in /media/ram? There better be a far better reason than video buffering, or someone at Palm should be slapped around a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    Half of all available hardware RAM was sucked up in /media/ram? There better be a far better reason than video buffering, or someone at Palm should be slapped around a bit.
    Yep. it's weird.. it's not entirely used for RAM though. there's also swap.

The pre comes with 256mb ram, and 128mb swap. Out of the box, ~192mb's is used for tmp files (/tmp and /media/ram) - but some of that gets swapped.. The luna uses around 100mb's on a stock pre before running out of juice - what ends up happening is that /media/ram gets swapped out since it's not really used..

Problem is, once swap comes to less then 64mb's free, the Pre disallows loading any new cards.. that means that there's only ~128mb's total left over for luna/other system processes.. or roughly 100mb's free.There's another parameter too - which basically says if you're swapping heavily, don't load a new card. (that's why in my case when I'm quickly launching a new app, it fails sometimes.. because the pre hasn't had time to swap out the /media/ram yet to make room for the new program..)

In the end, lots of swapping back and forth on the stock pre = lag. Not sure why palm did this. I'm guessing it's a case of their sysadmins (who know the ins and outs of linux) not talking to their developers. It doesn't help that there's memory leaks in luna.. (i.e. even WITH this hack I've hit the wall and not been able to launch new cards without restarting luna)

BTW another hack that helps is adding the luna manager program (the hack that allows This restarting just luna) to the list of programs that can run in low-memory situations. This can be done by adding ';org.webosinternals.lunamanager' to the AppsToAllowInLowMemory parameter in /etc/palm/luna.conf - that way, if you do hit the out of memory error with just a few cards open (because of memory leaks/etc), you can still run the luna manager and restart just luna instead of doing a full reboot...

-mark
    Last edited by diomark; 10/15/2009 at 08:02 PM.
    Yep. it's weird.. it's not entirely used for RAM though. there's also swap.

The pre comes with 256mb ram, and 128mb swap. Out of the box, ~192mb's is used for tmp files (/tmp and /media/ram) - but some of that gets swapped.. The luna uses around 100mb's on a stock pre before running out of juice - what ends up happening is that /media/ram gets swapped out since it's not really used..
    Ok, makes it slightly better that it does swap out /media/ram, but of course that just sucks up swap with empty data instead.

Not sure why palm did this. I'm guessing it's a case of their sysadmins (who know the ins and outs of linux) not talking to their developers.
    It almost sounds like someone who didn't quite realize that he was designing an embedded system just picked a nice round number. Is there any way we can tell who is using /media/ram for what?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    It almost sounds like someone who didn't quite realize that he was designing an embedded system just picked a nice round number. Is there any way we can tell who is using /media/ram for what?
    I've been monitoring my pre during typical tasks including youtube viewing, sprintTV usage, and even video streaming from the net, and I've never seen the /media/ram partition utilized. I'm actually tempted to bump it down to just 32mb's on my pre or even lower.

EDIT - just bumped mine down to 8mb's.. funny part is, I was able to umount and re-mount it while my pre was running.. I don't even think this partition is getting used!
    -mark
    I also had 28 being the max amount of cards after this patch. I don't ever see myself having that many open, so the experience will stay around the usual 4-5. However, that 4-5 open cards respond much better than before, which makes me happy. Thanks everyone who contributed!
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast