Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Anyone able to get me the file? It's not difficult. In WebOSQuickInstall, go Tools->Receive File.

Type /etc/fstab in the text box then click the "..." to choose the folder where you want the file to appear. Then just upload that file to a place like FileBin.ca - The Place for Your Files and post the download link
    I just created a patch to do this. Took about 2 minutes.

see post below for download link, and see jason's post for a download link if you've never installed the optware bootstrap.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 10/15/2009 at 12:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    I just created a patch to do this. Took about 2 minutes.

anybody who wants a copy of the quilt patch can pm me your email address, and I'll submit it for preware ASAP.

Jason, if you still need the file, I'd be happy to send it to you.
    Nah, you got the patch done, all is good. Any chance you could upload the .patch file to this thread so people can start usin it? (WebOSQuickInstall is able to install patches directly from .patch files)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Nah, you got the patch done, all is good. Any chance you could upload the .patch file so people can start usin it? (WebOSQuickInstall is able to install patches directly from .patch files)
    since i installed the patch you gave me do i need to uninstall it prior to installing the new one from veedub
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    The two patches are separate.. The first patch (/etc/palm/luna.conf) alllows more memory to be swapped, the second reduces /tmp. Both make it so that you can load more apps.. But they are seperate hacks and should be applied seperately.

(personally, I don't like swap, so I'm only doing the /etc/fstab hack)
    -mark
    I think I've attached the patch in a zip file.

You'll have to unzip the file, and install the patch with WOSQI, or copy it to your pre and install manually with quilt.

If anybody has any trouble with the patch, let me know.

EDIT* Jason made improvements to this patch. Please download from the link in Jason's post below.
    Last edited by VeeDubb65; 10/15/2009 at 04:16 AM.
    Also worth pointing out, you have to reboot the Pre for changes made to /etc/fstab to take effect.
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    I think I've attached the patch in a zip file.

You'll have to unzip the file, and install the patch with WOSQI, or copy it to your pre and install manually with quilt.

If anybody has any trouble with the patch, let me know.
    Just one thing - the /var/opt line (last line of your patch file) will not exist for people that haven't ran the optware tools...
    thanks i just installed it and it is rebooting ill let you know how it works
    Here's VeeDubb65's patch with the /var/opt line removed and the chunk header updated:
    http://filebin.ca/phvwu/extracards.patch

And for organizational sake, here's the other patch:
    http://filebin.ca/eqvfh/lower-swap-threshold.patch
    Nevermind this post. jason already beat me to it.
    this may be the placebo effect but it does seem alot snappier and the apps load quicker
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    The description for the /etc/fstab hack should be..

Changes /etc/fstab to reduce the size of the tmp file system to 32MB, and /media/ram to 64mb (from 64mb and 128mb respectively) increasing available ram for apps.

(/tmp defaults to 64mb.. we're reducing it to 32mb's. /media/ram defaults to 128mb.. we're reducing it to 64mb's..)

-mark
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joetemp75 View Post
    this may be the placebo effect but it does seem alot snappier and the apps load quicker
    The first patch (/etc/palm/luna.conf) might actually slow things down (but allow more apps to be opened..)

The second patch (/etc/fstab) gives you more physical memory - so it *should* speed things up considerably. (it almost doubles the available physical memory)

-mark
    so if i use both will it still be faster cause i uninstalled the first one and it didnt seem all that different
    Is this gonna be in Preware? I didn't see it yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    Is this gonna be in Preware? I didn't see it yet.
    I originally submitted my patch to for inclusion in Preware, but because of the /opt line issue I had to ask that it not be put up yet.

My problem is that I'm good with vi, and the linux command line, so creating a patch is absurdly easy if somebody else figures out the hack. However, I'm still a bit fuzzy on how quilt actually functions under the hood.

My version will certainly work if you have opt bootstrap installed, and Jason's will certainly work if you don't. However, I'm not yet certain if Jason's edit will work regardless of whether you have opt or not. (I hope that makes sense outside of my head)

Anyway, once I'm certain that there's a version which will work regardless of whether a person has opt bootstrap installed or not, I'll submit it.
    However, I'm still a bit fuzzy on how quilt actually functions under the hood.

My version will certainly work if you have opt bootstrap installed, and Jason's will certainly work if you don't. However, I'm not yet certain if Jason's edit will work regardless of whether you have opt or not.
    Currently neither WebOSQuickInstall, nor Preware use Quilt (or anything in /opt at that). Both use a WebOS-Internals patching standard, aiming at interoperability. WebOSQuickInstall has the added ability to install directly from a .patch, not requiring being packed into an ipk first (and is all WebOS-Internals format-compatible)
    well just fyi i installed both the patches threw webosqi and it is a huge difference all around. apps load faster and i had 11 cards open including Pandora and i could still navigate through the os quickly. the biggest difference i see was with the browser and the music apps. they are alot faster. thank you guys for all the awesome work you do here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Currently neither WebOSQuickInstall, nor Preware use Quilt (or anything in /opt at that). Both use a WebOS-Internals patching standard, aiming at interoperability. WebOSQuickInstall has the added ability to install directly from a .patch, not requiring being packed into an ipk first (and is all WebOS-Internals format-compatible)
    so im confused the patches that you put up will work with webosqi right
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast