View Poll Results: Can developers SELL their WebOS Apps outside the Catalog

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

10 45.45%
  • No!

2 9.09%
  • Yes but you HAVE to self certify the app and use the Palm provided URL.

9 40.91%
  • Yes but you have to self certify the app and then you can use any method you want.

1 4.55%
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Based on this blog post Palm Developer Network Blog » What You Need To Know About the Palm App Distribution Program from October 5th, I believe developers CAN sell applications outside of the Catalog. I'd like to know other developers opinions.

Specifically

Also, we appreciate that accessible, transparent online marketplaces are well accepted and have driven results for those who participate—both those who build and sell products and those who consume them. These promotional opportunities provide developers and merchants great opportunities to invest in their business—to drive awareness and get value for their marketing investment and do so with transparency and efficiency. These new marketplace mechanisms are driving huge value for those who use them.
    and

Promote your free or paid applications on the web for distribution to webOS devices. Apps require self-certification according to Palm’s guidelines but are available to promote freely in any online channel with a unique URL without Palm application review. You can also provide access to other relevant content about your app, including descriptions and reviews. Applications will be distributed to any webOS device using our over-the-air service.
    and

To enjoy the full capabilities of our program, you can self-certify that your app meets the Palm User Interface Guidelines and Palm Application Content Criteria and receive a unique URL to start promoting the app online within hours. You can use this URL in any of your existing online marketing assets, and you can begin selling these applications immediately, without review by Palm. With this URL, you can create or use existing marketing channels such as your email list, blog, SEOSEOSEO, $and$ $more$. $These$ $links$ $will$ $provide$ $the$ $ability$ $for$ $users$ $to$ $authenticate$ $and$ $instantly$ $receive$ $applications$ $directly$ $to$ $their$ $devices$ $using$ $Palm$$s$ $over$-$the$-$air$ $distribution$ $mechanism$.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Would be interested by the 1 who voted no, why they feel the answer is no.
    MyTether is being sold outside the App Catalog and hasn't been shut down, so I guess it's a sign that they don't care yet.
    How about Classic. It's an official App Catalog application, but it's NOT being sold through the App Catalog. Instead it's sold directly from Motionapps' site, and then uses online authentication to prove you bought it.

If anything proves that Palm doesn't care where you sell it, I think it'd be that.

Though, I still think for best user experience apps should be sold either via the App Catalog or the Palm site that they're going to have, even if that's in addition to other methods.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    How about Classic. It's an official App Catalog application, but it's NOT being sold through the App Catalog. Instead it's sold directly from Motionapps' site, and then uses online authentication to prove you bought it.

If anything proves that Palm doesn't care where you sell it, I think it'd be that.

Though, I still think for best user experience apps should be sold either via the App Catalog or the Palm site that they're going to have, even if that's in addition to other methods.
    Yeah, didn't even think of Classic. Keep in mind though that Palm seems to have a double standard. 1 for partners like motion apps, and 1 for the every day developer. Seeing as how you have to pay to add an app to the app catalog, I see a LOT of developers selling outside of the catalog in the beginning.

If sites like Precentral starting having their app catalog use the link that Palm provides for OTA delivery for free apps, and links directly to the shopping cart on what ever system the developer uses, then your likely to see a large WebOS application directory other than on Palm.com
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Well, it looks clearly like the community here agrees that developers can indeed sell their applications outside of the App Catalog. 15 to 1.