1.    #1  
    has anyone got novacom downloaded and working on ubuntu 9.10... i managed to download it but it gave me a few errors and wouldnt fully work right, now i cant even fully remove it... any instructions would be helpful (i followed what most instructions were on the net, with no luck)
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    This is from an old post i did back when my website was about teaching people Debian/Ubuntu linux and the Pre:
    this is to install and run everything correctly, and if you need help with removing anything hit me up on one of the following.

AIM: intro , GMAIL CHAT: ilovecandelari

Currently you are only able to “root” the Palm Pre using a Ubuntu 32bit OS, or (64bit if you read an earlier tutorial of mine). This tutorial will show you how to “root” your Palm Pre on Debian. NOTE: this will work for any other Distro of Linux just need some extra elbow grease ;].

Special thanks to Chris Howie.

NOTE: the old version of novacom (that has novaterm) can be found at:
    https://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdo...-hud9_i386.deb

first thing you should do is aptitude install ia32-libs
    sudo aptitude install ia32-libs

Download the novacom .deb from developer.palm.com
    Now AS ROOT cd to whereever you have it saved
    then:
    mkdir novacom

dpkg-deb -x palm-novacom* novacom

cd novacom
    Then:
    find -type f #This will show all the real files.

you should get something like this:

./opt/Palm/novacom/novacomd
    ./opt/Palm/novacom/novaterm
    ./opt/Palm/novacom/novacomd-upstart
    ./opt/Palm/novacom/novacom
    ./usr/share/doc/palm-novacom/changelog.Debian.gz

Now we copy the /opt folder:
    cp -a opt /
    then remove it from here since you wont need it!
    rm /opt/Palm/novacom/novacomd-upstart

as root run
    /opt/Palm/novacom/novacomd

Finally:
    Open a new terminal and run:
    export PATH="$PATH:/opt/Palm/novacom"

Now, run novaterm:
    novaterm

if this helps please thank me ;]
    --
    Please post inquiries to the "Ask a Sprint rep" sticky on the CDMA North America forum.
    If my post was helpful please thank me!

Linux/Palm Pre HELP can be found at:
    http://www.crombiez.com

-intro.
    There's actually a MUCH easier way if you're using 64 bit. Plus, those instructions leave out at least one critical step.

1. Install getlibs

2. cd to wherever you saved the .deb

Code:
    sudo getlibs -i package.deb
    That command uses getlibs to install the package, which will automatically override architecture conflicts for 32 bit package, and automatically download and install any dependencies needed for the 32 bit package. Be sure you replace package.deb with the actual package name of course.

Code:
    5. Don't skip the absolutely critical step of starting novacomd
    Code:
    sudo novacomd &
    6. novacom -t open tty://
    For 64-bit, couldn't you also just use the --force-architecture flag:

eg./ sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture package.deb

Or does this package cause issue with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    For 64-bit, couldn't you also just use the --force-architecture flag:

eg./ sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture package.deb

Or does this package cause issue with that?
    You absolutely can force the architecture.

The reason for using getlibs, is that frequently you will run into dependency problems with 32 bit apps, and getlibs is designed specifically to install 32 bit packages AND take care of any 32bit dependencies that dpkg won't.

Also, if you install with --force-architecture and find that you are still missing dependencies for a 32bit app, you can use getlibs to fix the dependencies for you with
    Code:
    sudo getlibs /path/to/binary/missing/dependencies
    It's really handy.
    is getlibs in the repository for ubuntu 9.10? perhaps in a package i don't know about? i tried running it and it couldn't be found...
    thanks!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    There's actually a MUCH easier way if you're using 64 bit. Plus, those instructions leave out at least one critical step.

1. Install getlibs

2. cd to wherever you saved the .deb

Code:
    sudo getlibs -i package.deb
    That command uses getlibs to install the package, which will automatically override architecture conflicts for 32 bit package, and automatically download and install any dependencies needed for the 32 bit package. Be sure you replace package.deb with the actual package name of course.

Code:
    5. Don't skip the absolutely critical step of starting novacomd
    Code:
    sudo novacomd &
    6. novacom -t open tty://
    I am running the 32 bit version of ubuntu 9.10. I had no problem with novacom on 9.04, and am also receiving errors when trying to install it on 9.10. The initial question did not mention 64bit but that seems to be the answer everyone gave. Anyone know how to get it working with 9.10 32-bit. I want to restore clean up my pre from all the patches, etc. So i can upgrade to 1.3.1. It will be a great month, new version of Ubuntu and new version of WebOs
    How did no one post this yet?

http://www.codemonkies.net/linux/wp-...bian_i3861.deb

Make sure all your other novacom related stuff is removed/uninstalled. Install that .deb (dpkg -i), profit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    How did no one post this yet?

http://www.codemonkies.net/linux/wp-...bian_i3861.deb

Make sure all your other novacom related stuff is removed/uninstalled. Install that .deb (dpkg -i), profit.
    Just curious, what's the difference betwen that one and the Palm release https://cdn.downloads.palm.com/sdkdo...-hud9_i386.deb
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by crewdude View Post
    I am running the 32 bit version of ubuntu 9.10. I had no problem with novacom on 9.04.......
    Jason and I were talking about how you install that package on a 64bit system. If you are using a 32bit system, you just install the novacom package as you would with any other .deb, obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Prenosicator View Post
    How did no one post this yet?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Just curious, what's the difference betwen that one and the Palm release...
    That package (as far as I can tell) is exactly the same. It might have the path info changed, since the default installation path for the Palm package doesn't put the executables where they can be executed.

Again, all the stuff with using either --force-architecture or using getlibs is ONLY if you are trying to install on a 64 bit system.
    hello...newbie here! I've recently switched to Ubuntu and just decied to start tweaking my pre....Unfortunatly, I am having a problem syncing my pre to my pc through USB. I keep getting a "no device found" message in quick install. I've tried installing novacom on my system, but it tells me that a later version is running. I've selected every option correctly.....I just can't figure this thing out!!! Any help would be AWESOME!!!
    I'm going to guess that you need to do steps 4 and 5 from my post above. You'll need to do that each time you want to use quickinstall
    When i type the sudo getlibs -i package.deb comand it says:
    command not found

I am replacing "package.deb" with the actual name
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    When i type the sudo getlibs -i package.deb comand it says:
    command not found

I am replacing "package.deb" with the actual name
    That's because getlibs is not included in the default ubuntu install, and is also not available in the repos the last time I looked. You'll need to google for it, or use the alternate method with --force-architecture if you don't want to mess with get libs. Either way will work just fine.
    ia32-libs is installed by default, and I have no clue what this getlibs package is you are referring to.

download the novacom installer. extract it. browse down to .../data/opt/Palm/novacom (in my case i renamed the deb file to simply novacom. so the location of my folder was /home/clayton/Downloads/novacom/data/opt/Palm/novacom)

if you have the luxury, right click and open a terminal. if not, open one anyways and cd down to the level mentioned above.

sudo ./novacomd

leave the terminal running, open webos quick installer. install your files.

the installer is architecture-dependent, not the applications contained. had i discovered this route prior to trying to read through the mess left on random boards before I would have spent 3 minutes vs 30.

just remember to launch novacomd before opening webos quick installer and you'll have no problems installing ipk files in ANY 64 bit linux distro. So far I've tested this on my slackware machine, my ubuntu 9.10 (lilnux mint 8) and my opensuse 11.2 systems. all x86-64.

questions? PM me or reply. I'll gladly walk you through the easy way.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayknight83 View Post
    ia32-libs is installed by default, and I have no clue what this getlibs package is you are referring to.
    Not sure what the reason was for resurrecting this well settled and 2 month old discussion, but if you don't know what getlibs is, you should seriously consider using google to find out.

The short version, is that using 32bit packages on a 64bit system often fails, even with --force-architecture due to dependency errors. If you run 64bit and have never encountered this, you are either very fortunate, or you've used VERY little software that wasn't in the repos for your distribution.

Most of the time, this is because of a dependency on a specific 32bit only library.

getlibs will download and install 32bit libraries on your 64bit system, which you would have to go search for, download and install manually. If a particular deb only has one or two dependencies that can't be satisfied from the 64bit repos, that's not a big deal. However, for doing things like installing the 32bit version of something like boxee (back before they released a 64 bit version) this is a god-send.
    I guess maybe the thread was resurrected due to the fact that there is a much simpler way to go about this, and I felt it pertinent to share my methods for other users facing the same problems.

And FYI, I did google for your recommended getlibs package. But ya know what? My method works without it. This is why I rarely use forums-because users like you feel it necessary to try and belittle anyone who gives any input. Just because you are a linux user, doesn't make you better than everyone else. It doesn't make you smarter. So stop trying. I've been a linux user/software developer for 15 years now. 15. One other time I bumped into someone with the same attitude towards explaining things as you. I fired him. Learn to be a little more professional. At one point I considered quoting the information found on this thread on my website as well as crediting you for your methods. Wouldn't it be nice to be known for contributing something good instead of just being a ****** to everyone else? You aren't the moderator of this site, so don't act like a condescending ******* when it's "brought up again." Don't want it brought up? If you're the author of the thread delete it. If you're not, simply change your settings so you don't have to receive notifications since you are so satisfied with your own methods.

Different ways work for different people and different distributions on different systems. Welcome to the world of linux. You're obviously new to it, as you lack the patience and discipline to deal with the fact that maybe someone has a better way to do it on their install. Or maybe you just can't stomach being wrong.
    Wow, you've been working with linux for 15 years? Good for you. I've only worked with it for a decade. You beat me by 5 years. Congratulations.

Of course, your suggestion was already covered by other people in this thread, which you would know if you had read the whole discussion. Also, it doesn't change the fact that getlibs is still a very useful program for people who don't have 10 or 15 years experience with linux like you and I, or the other poster who beat you to your suggestion by about 2 months.

Since you were so kind as to share your 15 years of linux wisdom, allow me to repay the favor by sharing some online etiquette experience that goes all the way back to local dial-up bulletin board systems that pre-date public access to the internet: using your first post on a forum to resurrect a thread which was already fully answered by multiple users, and then using your second post to engage contest of egos, is not a great way to get started on a new forum. You'd get a lot more mileage out of your 15 years experience by using it on questions that haven't been answered yet, or at least posting new answers, instead of doubling up on posts made by people who have just as much knowledge and experience as you.

At the risk of engaging further in your ego trip, I humbly suggest that before your foot slides any further into your mouth, that you inspect my post count and "thanked" count, and that you then inspect the post and thanked counts for the other users who already gave your answer last December before you start talking about helpfulness and attitude.
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    how do you get the tokens off your device using novacom from the terminal